Canada Post Strike Threat Still Alive

7 REPLIES 7

As an eBay seller with no option to ship except by Canada post (smaller priced items just won't work with couriers) it is a real pain to have this hanging over our heads. I have kept my store open & shipping out parcels but hoping to not get caught. Just wish they could get this settled.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Relax... Business as usual.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thanks that it basically what I have been doing but there is still a little voice that says to me "what are you going to do if there is a postal strike".  I just don't like the uncertainty it brings to the game.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Anytime there is a possible postal strike in Canada, and when negotiations drag on for months and months, there becomes a "work to rule" among union members, as it should be expected. The union has all the bargaining power now as we get closer to Christmas, the longer it drags on the more they will receive in the end. I'm sitting this out until it gets settled. The profits do not equal the hassle sometimes.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

The closer we get to Christmas the less negiotating power the CUPW will have and the quicker the Government of Canada will intervene and appoint a mediator to settle the dispute between the two parties... I highly doubt that the Government of Canada will let ecommerce businesses/retailers suffer any disruption at the busiest time of the year. 

If the negotiations between CUPW and Canada Post  continue into the New Year well then there could be some postal disruption but consumer spending will slow down to a crawl in Jan-Feb/19. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@mcrlmn wrote:
Relax... Business as usual.

No, not as usual, especially for those of us who are not near major urban centres and/or have no option but Canada Post.   I sell mostly to the U.S.  and even at the best of times it take 3 to 4 days for parcels to get from where I am into USPS' hands.  If I ship a parcel today and the union gives its 3 days' notice, or a lockout or major slowdown occurs, my U.S. buyer will definitely not be understanding (they do expect that buying from Canada is more or less like buying from the States in terms of shipping). 

So it's actually it's a game of Russian (Canadian) Roulette -- any parcels at any time could get caught up.  I'm not really so concerned about defects as I am about having to refund and also likely never see the item(s) again if they're eventually delivered weeks or months later to the buyer.  Not to mention that in my well-connected little "world", word of bad service gets around quickly.  

Message 8 of 8
latest reply