Change to 14 day rule for Promotions/markdown Manager?

I haven’t seen an official announcement on .ca or .com yet but one of the eBay reps did post about this on a .com board thread.

I am happy to confirm that starting today; you can create immediate markdowns using Promotions Manager. We appreciate the feedback we received after our first announcement and we are committed to considering all input we receive from our sellers. If there are any changes made to this decision in the coming year, you’ll be informed right away.

As we move into the holidays, our biggest priority is ensuring you have an easy and success

Post 9

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/14-days-sales-rule-doesn-t-apply-to-everyone/m-p/29050713#M129...

tyler@ebay 

Can you confirm if that is now the case on.ca?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I'm not sure that is legal in Canada.

Sears was notorious for having items at 'regular price' for a couple of weeks (or a short term catalogue) followed by a ** SALE** PRICE** for months thereafter.

They were prosecuted for it more than once, when we actually had a Consumers' Protection Bureau.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I'm sure that there are some sort of laws about that but there is no law stating that I have to list an item for 2 weeks at one price before I can put it on sale for a few days, a week etc.   Ebay just started that rule on both sites earlier this year and are changing it back to the way it was before then.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

It still strikes me as a shady practice.

But I dislike 'sale' prices at any time, other than end of season/turkey sales, to move out deadstock.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @pjcdn2005 - I've requested more detail on this, stay tuned!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

The majority of sellers simply want to be able put their items on sale for a limited time when it is their advantage to do so.  There is nothing shady about that.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

As indicated the last time this was raised by pjcdn, I saw no change whatsoever to the markdown workflow even when the 14-day rule was supposed to be in effect.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I liked the fact that on .com, the item would have to be listed for a month before it could go on sale, that wasn't available on .ca.  I price it that way, if after a month it hasn't sold then of course I may put it on sale.  Now all items go on sale, I don't like that personally.  I don't believe in inflating prices, to then offer a sale price to what I was going to list it for in the first place.  Now I just list the item not have it included in my sale until the next time I have a sale.  

If that sounds confusing.  I am having a sale now but anything I list on .com or .ca doesn't become part of the current sale.  Later when I do have a sale I will include those if they haven't sold.  

Message 8 of 8
latest reply