Changes to returns process/procedures?

hlmacdon
Community Member

Issue: How to handle remorse return request opened as a not as described return request. I’ll preface this by noting this pertained to a listing on .com.

I had a return request that fit the above scenario this evening. From the return details and the listing description it was an objective, clear cut case where the buyer did not read the listing description. The prior procedure recommended by ebay reps to deal with this was to call in and request an SR#, advise the customer the return would be approved but as it was a remorse return for a correctly listed and described item that they would have to pay the return shipping costs. Once the item was received the seller was to refund the item cost via paypal and post a screen shot of the refund in the return request so a rep could see the item cost had been refunded, whereupon they would close the request and issue a FVF credit.

The rep I spoke (US customer service) to informed me that they were no longer able to use this manual work around and sellers would have to accept a return request, regardless of the reason stated, if they had a return policy. The rep agreed the return request was opened incorrectly and it was a remorse return. To deal with this I was told there is an interim process they can use where a seller can be refunded for the return label and FVF. When the return is received the seller calls in and the rep issues the buyer a refund for both the item and the shipping paid and refunds the FVF and return label costs to the seller. The catch here is that the original shipping cost is not refunded to the seller, whereas for a remorse return request the seller has the option to withhold that amount (my main concern here, not the return).  The rep also noted that the internal discussion among staff was that they were moving towards a mandatory free 30 day no questions asked return model for sellers and alluded to this being the reason for the process change and that I should prepare accordingly as this new process was an interim measure and refunds moving forward were not guaranteed. The changes to the return process in the Fall and Spring updates are likely the source of confusion for the reps as they cover automation of returns as well as TRS Plus return requirements.

This may be a .com vs .ca difference but it is worth reviewing as many of us list on both and how a rep can deal with this scenario effects sellers regardless of where we list. I suspect there may be some rep confusion, but the rep was adamant and was fully aware of the previous workaround. From a quick look at the seller forums, we have community reps contradicting this as recently as yesterday here and here indicating that sellers can still opt to withhold original shipping costs for remorse returns. On other websites reps are confirming the same. In both cases, it is clear there is internal confusion over how to actually handle this scenario.

tyler@ebay  @happy_pigeon

Can you please confirm if the rep guidance on this change was indeed correct and what the correct process should be for sellers in this scenario? I realize it may be complicated with differences existing between .ca and .com but it would be helpful to know if procedures would be different between the two sites. It would probably make sense to have the Returns Product Manager issue a memo with clear guidance as there is confusion among staff at the phone and community rep level, and the website isn’t much help in this respect either. On a related note I noticed the Spring Seller update on the ebay Canada website (https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/news/seller-updates/2018-spring/simplified-returns.html#returns) still references US .com information. Are we still waiting for Candian-specfic details to be hammered out?

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Changes to returns process/procedures?

@femmefan1946 wrote:

At the discretion of the rep the seller can be refunded both the return shipping cost as well as the original postage

These are the clerks in the outsourced (to some backwater called Utah)  call centres?

Not even eBay's direct employees?

I've had a good experience recently with them recently, but really, eBay needs to have their own employees handling this sort of problem.

Ones who are well trained in the vagarities and random changes in eBay policy.

The turnover in call centres is huge, no matter how helpful the clerks try to be.

Finding a trained and up to date clerk is difficult. 

Original postage isn't an option. North American support (Austin, TX I believe it was), from appeals supervisor who seemed very well read into the situation and had already being liasing with the appropriate departments. I think in this case there is a good deal of internal confusion due to this being treated more like a policy test. The appeals staff *should* be up to date on what the policy change is, but other departments may not be, which is problematic as the byzantine nightmare of the website directed links to various department often means you aren't really sure who you are talking to.

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

More on... "Pointing to this thread on the eBay discussion boards, readers said eBay is running a policy test requiring sellers to accept all returns, including instances of buyer's remorse...."

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/abblog/blog.pl?/pl/2018/4/1523585567.html

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

(We're 'ecommercebytes famous' now. Quick, sit up straight and adjust your ties.)

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

To make this clearer:

• Buyers will be getting free 30 day returns regardless of what return policy a seller states. This is ultimately a no questions asked policy since ebay will be refusing to arbitrate any disputes between seller or buyer over the reason for the return. This is being done to protect their pockets since they are concerned about buyers filing chargebacks with paypal or their card providers. The burden of costs arising from fraudulent/bad actors is being transferred wholesale to the seller.  As a "temporary" courtesy sellers will be refunded inbound return shipping costs for remorse returns, but not their original outbound shipping costs. 
  • If a seller wishes to recoup any funds beyond the return label cost, they must offer free 30 day returns as they will be the only way to charge a restocking fee. 

Regardless of what you chose as a return policy moving forward, ebay is forcing sellers to adopt free 30 day returns as their return policy. If a dishonest buyer returns items damaged/missing contents the seller has no way to recoup those funds unless they offer free 30 day returns. If you chose a lesser return policy it doesn't matter as the buyer has 30 day free returns and the carrot of a courtesy refund for BR cases is not guaranteed moving forward. Net net, you are in  worse position if you don't offer free 30 day returns. With ebay moving to control payment processing you can see how that completes the circle. Where sellers once had carrots we now only have coercion.

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

Perhaps I am misunderstanding but unless we actually offer free returns, they are not going to be free buyers remorse returns unless the buyer uses snad as a reason.  We’ve had to pay return shipping for a while now and although I’m surprised that some buyers lie so that the sellers pays for the return, I think that it is a small percentage that does that.  Perhaps your experience is different?

i am not saying that I agree with the way ebay is handling this, but I wonder how much of a difference the changes will make or, will we have to pay for about the same number of returns that  we have to pay for now.

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Perhaps I am misunderstanding but unless we actually offer free returns, they are not going to be free buyers remorse returns unless the buyer uses snad as a reason.  We’ve had to pay return shipping for a while now and although I’m surprised that some buyers lie so that the sellers pays for the return, I think that it is a small percentage that does that.  Perhaps your experience is different?

i am not saying that I agree with the way ebay is handling this, but I wonder how much of a difference the changes will make or, will we have to pay for about the same number of returns that  we have to pay for now.

That is not my understanding and hence the reason for the push to get the inconsistent messaging clarified. I was specifically told that as a seller I "should prepare for free 30 day returns as that is the direction ebay was heading" (slightly paraphrased but that was the gist). Buyers expect 30 day free returns and that is what ebay would be offering. The consistent message across 4 different staff was that buyers would be getting free 30 day returns with no caveats. It isn't until you speak to a supervisor that you get confirmation this is a marketing decision, a testing program, and that and that ebay was not going to be looking at the reasons for the return and arbitrating any difference of opinion.

Even if there still remains a remorse reason in the request, any buyer will know how to game the system to get a free return/full refund given the marketing messaging (free 30 day returns are already being mention in ebay external advertising) and ebay removing themselves from the return process. That is part of the reason for wanting clear cut policy documented on the end to end procedures so we can see what the work flow is and where the specific changes are. All we are getting now is no answers and to call in, at which point we get contradictory information and get hard sold on this direction and to just go ahead and accept every return request. 

I would say 9 out 10 return requests/scenarios I receive involve a buyer fudging the system to angle for free return shipping and a refund of their original postage. The pattern of behavior is typically the same, it starts with the item wasn't received, tracking scan showing delivery presented, which then turns to the package was mysteriously found, item wasn't as described, etc.  Of those requests, they almost always indicate a remorse reason in the buyer's notes or ebay messages, hence there was always a way to appeal for the return to be reclassified so as a seller I was not out of pocket for a buyer's error. This will vary by category and buyer demographic for each seller. In my case I almost exclusively deal with situations which are clear cut objective cases that any reasonable rep could make a determination on, ie: your picture is of a gorilla, says it is a gorilla, and the buyer complains they didn't receive the tire they were expecting.

The implication of this change moving forward is that your buyers will have 30 days to return their product for whatever reason they want, on your dime. Exceptions are being dealt with at an appeals level and the key part to note in this is that there is no policy directive to review the circumstances of appeal, but rather to offer a courtesy refund for return labels for an unspecified period of time, with no guarantee of future reimbursement for return label costs. Now combine with the fact ebay is sending sellers warnings their return rates are too high (which effects your visibility) and you can see exactly why this is a clusteryouknowhat. 

Message 26 of 26
latest reply