Cheapest way to mail Canadian expedited

Yesterday I had to mail a package from Ontario to NS. It measured 20 x 18 x 7 cm and weighed 115 grams. I checked Snapship and  it would be $18.79, so I used Paypal and it was 17.49. I don't have a Shippo account, but I am wondering if they still had discounted rates. The shipping within Canada is exhorbitant, I could have mailed it to the US for $8.78.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Yes, Shippo offers us six per cent below our own Solutions for Small Business with Canada Post Tier level, according to ydpc_dennis who is never, I think, incorrect about anything. I was fuming about this too since Canada Post on Jan. 15 changed the manner in which it calculates rates for Expedited Parcel. All my domestic shipping costs have risen as a result of the recalculation. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Oh, but to compare apples to apples, your quoted postage cost to the USA would not have included tracking or insurance or a delivery guarantee so it's not exactly the same service although in some ways it is because there is no equivalent non-traced service for parcels within Canada.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Thanks, but I would have been happy to mail it without tracking, insurance etc. it that was possible within Canada. For low priced items I don't need that.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Might I then suggest you send correspondence to your MP and/or Canada Post with that request to create a new untracked parcel service which competes with the rates for Small Packets USA?

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

wrote:

Yesterday I had to mail a package from Ontario to NS. It measured 20 x 18 x 7 cm and weighed 115 grams. I checked Snapship and  it would be $18.79, so I used Paypal and it was 17.49. I don't have a Shippo account, but I am wondering if they still had discounted rates.

I'm surprised that PayPal had an extra discount for expedited. Last time I checked PayPal and SnapShip had the same rate. Will have to cross check rates again with my next expedited parcel and see what gets revealed. *sigh*

Expedited package (350g, ON to AB) that I mailed yesterday was $14.35 via Shippo versus $15.28 on the Canada post website versus $15.80 according to the eBay shipping calculator.

Canada Post was doing some trial testing of an equivalent to Small Packet (for weights up to 500g) back in July -- but I haven't read or heard about anything since. Would be really nice to have that for Canada.

-..-

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

Canada Post was doing some trial testing of an equivalent to Small Packet (for weights up to 500g) back in July -- but I haven't read or heard about anything since. Would be really nice to have that for Canada.

I second that motion! I was informed last summer that Canada Post was "experimenting" with this and using Toronto as the pilot test. Crossing my fingers! Sure would help us Canucks 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

If you could get the parcel(s) to Mississauga, you may want to look up Chit Chats Express who does offer cross Canada shipping at (for most but not all locations) quite attractive rates. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

That is not possible I'm afraid, I am 75, disabled and don't drive, with a husband struggling with the effects of chemo. So I just have to find the best rates I can from here.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply