Check totals when relisting multi variation listings

I had a listing with 1 each of 3 different ring sizes and one size sold this month. I relisted it this morning and the ring that had already been sold was showing as available again. The same thing happened on another similiar listing.

I did use relist, not sell similar so the correct totals should have carried over.  Both listings were on .com. I don't have a similar listing on .ca that I can check.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

The only way I know to solve that problem is to list GTC.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Unless I am having a mind block (which is entirely possible) I am sure that when I 'relist' the totals continue on and when I use sell similar, the total resets to the original amount.

Can anyone confirm that or am I just confused today?

(yes, just today lol)

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Usually, the Relist totals for me are okay. It will track what is sold and adjust accordingly UNLESS there has been some oddity with Unpaid Items with that 30-day time period. I don't have any multi-listing variations for the reason they make me uneasy with sold versus unsold carried over each 30-day relist. Sell Similar resets to whatever quantity you began with from the original listing. I've have yet to utilize the Good Till Cancelled feature because I like to revisit my item every month to ensure I am correct on quantities and nothing has changed in my description, business policies or shipping terms. Plus, it keeps me attuned to my pricing. There are fluctuations. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I relisted a multi item listing today that had sold items during the month and everything was fine. It didn't add on the item that had already sold like it did yesterday. But the listing today was a bit different than the ones I listed yesterday as those were multi variation listings...this one was just a multi item listing.

I do use gtc but only for listings that normally have a few sales a month.I do think that the previous sales help the listing in search.

Imo it is not a good idea to use gtc for items that rarely sell as that can cause a listing to become less visible.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I agree with you 100 per cent on the multi-variations and GTC in terms of search placement.

I haven't used either yet because they seem complicated and finicky. I've a lot of individual items listed for sale at any given time; it makes me exceptionally paranoid about losing track of a quantity in a listing and not noticing until too late. I'd prefer to waste a hundred hours each 30 days doing manual relistings than to have to cancel even one transaction because I was accidentally sold something that was out-of-stock due to there being a glitch in the software tweak that month.

It's not as if we control how the site performs, after all. And I'm not confident I could satisfactorily prove to ebay a cancelled transaction was a result of a site bug and not a valid defect. (Although you bet I'd try.)

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Do you know what I'm struggling with today?

There is a weird phenomena where Item Description text is copied from one item to another when I am using the Bulk Relist feature and I have more than one item on the go. It seems to be totally and completely random. I'll be working on one listing and then click on another and suddenly all the copy from yet a third listing has overwritten the first. It isn't affecting Item Specifics, title or photos, just the Item Description.

Either this is some wacky bug that strikes during the lull while the site is 'saving' my changes between working on one listing to the next or I am going completely bonkers and somehow I am doing it to my own listings between blinks. 

It's happened more than once. 

And then I am staring at the screen, double-checking what is now live to make sure it's NOT incorrect text and all the eBay Ad Choice ads are in-house CHRISTMAS GIFT-GIVING GUIDE ads. In April. The same ads we faced all through November. 

Yargh.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Download and install Free Ad-Block plus addon for your browser and never see ads on eBay or other sites. Speeds up browsing and eliminates the potential for virus or malware in the third party ads hosted by adchoice.

Download from here

https://adblockplus.org/

I have used this for years. It is recommended in the ebay.com forum all the time.

This will not fix your ebay problem but will fix the annoying useless ads.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Unless I am having a mind block (which is entirely possible) I am sure that when I 'relist' the totals continue on and when I use sell similar, the total resets to the original amount.

Can anyone confirm that or am I just confused today?

I can't point to a specific page that sets this out, but it has always been my experience that GTC listings are the only ones that track inventory and carry the unsold balance over from one cycle to the other.  

I use GTC for all my antique patterns (I sell several of each, for each listing), and for years they've kept accurate track of the remaining inventory automatically.  I'm certain that ordinary fixed price/variation listings won't do this using "relist".  Using "sell similar" will re-set the listing to the original amount since it's pulling data from the listing as originally composed.  

In fact, with eBay's newest feature on GTC, even the associated data (hits/watchers, etc.) gets picked up - within a limited time, which I think is 30 days -- on relisting an out-of-stock GTC, which can be very helpful in creating sales.  I have to say that having used GTC for years, I'd never do otherwise.  

An alternative of course would be to create separate listings with slightly different titles and slightly different descriptions.  As long as there is an actual difference between them, you shouldn't have any trouble with the duplicate listings policy. 

BTW, I'm not fully convinced that GTC listings go to the bottom of the search heap if they're stale.  For years my GTC antique patterns have always been near the top of page 1 on relevant key word searches, even for those that haven't had a sale in some months.  In fact, some of my best sellers are GTC multi-quantity listings.  

In any event I firmly believe there are many other parameters involved that account for positioning in search results, including seller status.  Not that eBay would ever let us know specifically how they work. Woman LOL

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Your description problem is very bizarre, I haven't seen that happen and I hope that it is just a temporary problem for you. It's a good thing that you caught it!

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

I can't point to a specific page that sets this out, but it has always been my experience that GTC listings are the only ones that track inventory and carry the unsold balance over from one cycle to the other.  

I use GTC for all my antique patterns (I sell several of each, for each listing), and for years they've kept accurate track of the remaining inventory automatically.  I'm certain that ordinary fixed price/variation listings won't do this using "relist".  Using "sell similar" will re-set the listing to the original amount since it's pulling data from the listing as originally composed.  

As I said in post 5, the next day I used relist on another multi item listing that had a sale that month and this time the sold item didn't show as being available so relist does carry over the correct totals. Well....it does do that except when it doesn't lol.  But I'm sure that is the first time I've seen that happen so it must work the majority of the time.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I have had every intention of experimenting with GTC on a few specific listings where I think it might work but inevitably get distracted when I go to do that relist.... like discovering mid-relist that my Item Descriptions are randomly overwritten by unrelated ones. 

The thing that happened with Item Description text being copied from one listing to another was specific to the method I was using at the time during a bulk relist to review the Item Descriptions. It was not happening when I checked all the boxes at left and went to Revise Item Description from the drop-down menu at the top left. It happened ONLY when I was using the window-pane feature at top right that allows you to look at a half- or three-quarter view of one Item at a time while looking at the list of all the others still on the left. I caught a few; I still need to check the rest to see how many may have been affected.

I'm 99 per cent certain it didn't happen because I did it by mistake although it is a remote possibility. I wanted to mention it so that others can keep an eye on it too since we were already on the topic of relist mysteries.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply