Chit Chats shipping to U.S. and International - do you tape an invoice to outside of package?

I plan to use Chit Chats for some upcoming listings. Chit Chats recommends that all shipments to US or International have an invoice on the outside of the package.

How do I create an invoice? Is there a way to do that in eBay for my items?

Do you put an invoice on the outside of the package for your shipments to US and International?
Do you create that invoice in eBay? Where do you do it?

Is the invoice in addition to a Customs declaration? When I bought a shipping label in eBay's own shipping function, the shipping label included Customs information that I had entered in the eBay's web site form to buy/create the shipping label.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Chit Chats shipping to U.S. and International - do you tape an invoice to outside of package?

I don't use ChitChats (use a different similar service).

Since eBay started collecting VAT for Europe, UK, Australia etc I have been adding an invoice to the outside of packages (International but not US), that is in addition to the customs declaration on the shipping label. It seems to have prevented the "double dipping" on VAT that had happened to a few of my shipments in the early days of eBay VAT collection.

I use third-party tools to manage my eBay listings so I don't know where you obtain a packing list/Invoice on eBay but it's probably on the Order Details Page (under More Actions).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Mandatory for international - just to avoid any troubles. ChitChats asks for an external invoice only for expensive items + 300 USD.  

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@38e_avenue 

Where do you create your invoice? In a function in eBay?

What physical size is the invoice? 

On a small box, on top of box I barely have room for a shipping label. Would I put the invoice on the bottom of the box? Do you fold it and put it inside an envelope taped to the box?

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@toronto_tuttle wrote:

@38e_avenue 

Where do you create your invoice? In a function in eBay?

What physical size is the invoice? 

On a small box, on top of box I barely have room for a shipping label. Would I put the invoice on the bottom of the box? Do you fold it and put it inside an envelope taped to the box?

From "print packing slip". I fold it 2/4/6/8 times, so it can fit easily everywhere. I use the CP pouches, cut in half. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

For $300+ shipments to the US I put them inside a plastic bag taped to the box, with a label that says "Packing Slip"  Customs has to open up the bag to see it, but better than cutting open the box.  I put one in the box as well.

Is this ok for international, other than the US?  Or do you have the item and amount visible?

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@byto253 wrote:

Is this ok for international, other than the US?  Or do you have the item and amount visible?

If you ship by ChitChats to US, no amount is visible, because thy are regular USPS DOMESTIC shipping labels. But even if it's "domestic", ChitChats asks to inlude the invoice for all items above 300 USD. 

I had a few unexplained returns from Netherlands, Danemark and Poland (amount and content were shown on the shipping label). Since then, I add a well visible packing slip with the invoice (showing all buyer's expenses: item + shipping + tax/vat) outside of the package.    

Message 7 of 7
latest reply