Coming soon to eBay Canada and a theatre near you

Pictures followed by video..........down the road soon to be an option for buyers leaving feedback

130 posts and counting

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Anyone-else-notice-Coming-Soon-Pictures-included-with-feedback...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/NEW-FEATURE-Upload-photos-of-item-recieved-to-feedback-profile...    See post 11 for a possible example

-Lotz

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Generally for me my risk isn't around damaged items.

Generally my non-positive feedbacks are a result that the buyer didn't really understand what they were getting, normally because they didn't read the description and even the title sometimes.

Adding picture proof of their complaint won't really change how I approach my response, I've always tried to keep them non-confrontational, professional and providing any (appropriate) supporting facts from "my side". The picture proof will not help as it will tend to exagerate the aspect that should have been covered in the title/description but is much highlighted via whatever picture(s) they provided. However it is possible it might help too as I can "explain" how that came to be. An example might be my last neutral, if a picture of the 10 "same" stamps was taken I could speak exactly to what those "same" stamps really were as described in the description.

I can't imagine folks using them in a positive way, but I've been surprised before!

Time will tell....

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

eBay sellers freaking out are quite entertaining!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Going by the feedback in the US discussions most of the concerns are around valid/actual related images and/or rants by buyers that routinely give poor feedback. There also could potentially be photos to shame sellers will no recourse for those sellers unfairly. Words may or not get remembered by passers by. Photos will be remembered much longer. You could say more staying power.

-Lotz

Throw in how could a constant barrage of photos needing to be screened (Bots/Human?) and the bandwidth as someone else pointed.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

If you want a good laugh you should check out the user reactions to this post on ecommerce bytes.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2023/5/1683380948.html

It's not the pics in feedback but rather a comment from the CEO encouraging sellers to get more "friendly" with buyers. Seller reaction (well the few that post there) is the typical garbage.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I can already predict a lot of trouble in collectibles. This is very very very easy when picturing a card to make it look worse or better by adjusting the lighting or/and the angle of the photo. I can easily make a minor imperfection looking like major, as i can make a major imperfection being invisible in a lot of case too. Photos are an issue for it in the market, condition cannot be fully accurately pictured. Some dishonest sellers makes their cards looks better than they are. But now we'll see buyers being able to make them looks worse than they are. This is just fuel for refund and feedback extortion cases. I don't think this feature will bring anything good. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@recped wrote:

If you want a good laugh you should check out the user reactions to this post on ecommerce bytes.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2023/5/1683380948.html

It's not the pics in feedback but rather a comment from the CEO encouraging sellers to get more "friendly" with buyers. Seller reaction (well the few that post there) is the typical garbage.

@recped 

I can relate to the comment by Rexford. Not so much with Covid unless you are a lumberjack...but still funny. Remember when actual person customer service...was a thing? Press 71 for....

-Lotz

One of the points a manager made  to us many years ago when I first worked in retail, if we ever hear you say "Not my department" you would be fired on the spot. At the time, he meant it. That stuck with me.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Entertaining read that's for sure! No one sounds happy in any of those posts!

If it isn't even in the US yet hopefully it won't make it here for several years at least. Like many other things that haven't made it our way yet.

I do know some people like uploading pics (like on AZ reviews), more of a young person thing (if they liked something, to show off how they are using it), like those people that post pictures of what they are eating (why!?) so it's possible eBay thinks it could be for happy buyers to add photos but we know it would be the complainers who would take it over. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen here.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Yes, eBay made  some moves many years ago to ultilize social media and then they stepped back. I think the current CEO wants to roll back things and make the buyer seller relationship more friendly than it has been.

I think I've had 2 buyer utilize the extended 500 Charachter Feedback, I don't expect much uptake of the photo option either.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@recped s comment gave me the idea to look at my own feedback. 

I'm pretty consistently running about 10% of my feedback using the extended feedback.

Of course 100% of my neutrals and negatives are utilizing extended feedback!

This would lead me to believe I'll also see pictures along with lotsa words when adding pictures becomes available more predominantly with the neutrals and negatives.

On the converse side, I do appreciate the ability to have 500 characters to respond with, I think it also provides the seller with the opportunity to provide a reasonable amount of response as compared to the original 80 character limit.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

@recped s comment gave me the idea to look at my own feedback. 

I'm pretty consistently running about 10% of my feedback using the extended feedback.

Of course 100% of my neutrals and negatives are utilizing extended feedback!

This would lead me to believe I'll also see pictures along with lotsa words when adding pictures becomes available more predominantly with the neutrals and negatives.

On the converse side, I do appreciate the ability to have 500 characters to respond with, I think it also provides the seller with the opportunity to provide a reasonable amount of response as compared to the original 80 character limit.

@ricarmic 

So checked out your feedback and came to an interesting analogy.

Feedback and rugby are very similar.....someone ends up at the bottom of the scrum and others at the top. No guarantees how it will turn out. All you can do, when necessary is be proactive and polite with your response, which you have done.  Good advice for anyone else in the same situation. Hot off the collar never turns out well!!!

Part 2. There is no pleasing everyone all of the time.

-Lotz

Message 11 of 11
latest reply