Confusion about monthly invoices

On the one hand, I frequently get messages from eBay telling me that I can sell up to $xxx worth of stuff free - on the other hand I get an invoice at the end of every month. I'm confused. I've never come even close to selling the maximum amount that can be sold. Any ideas?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Confusion about monthly invoices

73rhc
Community Member

You can list so many items for free a month. But you still have to pay the final value fees on sold items at the end of the month.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Confusion about monthly invoices

Confused about fees?

There are several types of fees that a seller must pay to sell on eBay (nothing is free in this world).

1) listing fees - now eBay offers you to list a limited number of items without paying an insertion fee (so-called "free listings")

2) optional fees (generally a waste of your money)

3) Final Value Fees (FVF) - They apply to all your sales.  There is nothing "free" here. Typically 10% of the transaction amount (including shipping charge).  Rates vary depending on category. 

Please take the time to review the fee schedule carefully:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/fees.html

eBay fees are payable monthly.  You will see the amount charged to your credit card or your PayPal account (your choice).  Personally I prefer to have eBay charge my credit card where I get free AirMiles. It is also easier for bookkeeping and tax return preparation purposes.

In addition, you have to pay PayPal fees whenever a buyer uses PayPal to pay you.  If the currency of your listing/payment is not the Canadian dollar, then you will also pay a conversion fee.  If the buyer resides overseas, you also pay a cross border fee. If you withdraw less than $150 at the time from PayPal to your bank account, there will be another small fee.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply