Covid, CP still not doing signature confirmation but USPS is?

Sorry, I'm probably late to this issue but the old threads about it didn't explain much and I don't know if they still apply.

For shipping items in Canada there is no way to get signature confirmation, but usps is? So for certain items I should probably stick to American customers?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I shipped with tracking a parcel yesterday at the Post Office and one today at the postal outlet.

Both have excellent, well informed staff.

They agreed that the carrier would not be trying to get a Signature.

I still asked for Signature Confirmation, and paid the $1.75 at the post office. The outlet clerk threw it in for free.  (!)

I'm a braces and belt type.

I marked both Do Not Safe Drop, so if the customers aren't home, they will have to go to the PO and pickup from a clerk.  Which is pretty good insurance for the price--- free.

tyler@ebay 

Since the post offices are not willing to guarantee Signature Confirmation will be confirmed, what is eBay's stand on high value items which used to require the Signature  which cannot be guaranteed these days?

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

USPS is still not collecting signatures.

Pandemic procedure: They ask for the recipient’s name (first initial and last name) and enter this information in the signature field. No actual signature is collected.

Canada Post: You could select the option to card the parcel. This would require the buyer to pick up the parcel at the post office where ID has to be shown before getting the parcel. However, many buyers will find that annoying.

-..-

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

But the usps distance verbal signature thing still counts as a signature doesn't it in case of inrs?

I noticed a purolator parcel came to me the other day that wasn't even collecting duties and the woman rang my bell until I came and wouldn't leave until she confirmed who I was and passed it to me, might be more expensive but that seems pretty good too so I might use purolator.

Not comfortable making customers go to post office, I'd be annoyed if someone made me do that, not to mention the covid risks.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Thanks for the tag @reallynicestamps!

Trying desperately to avoid the (by now) truly hackneyed phrases of "During this extraordinary time" and "new normal", but here's what I've got:

The requirement to purchase signature confirmation for any order total* that is equal or greater to $750 has not been waived.

While a courier may not be collecting a physical signature in line with their COVID-19 plans, purchasing that as a service to your shipment provides the same eBay protection that it always has if a buyer claims they didn't receive the item. 

Thanks!

*Order total = the total of item or items purchased in a single transaction + taxes + shipping costs if charged

Tyler,
eBay
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

thanks for clarifying, what about items intracanada less than $750 total with signature requirement purchased, will that protect against inrs and porch theft?

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Purchases less that $750 are protected against inr’s and porch theft as long as there is online delivery confirmation. Signature  confirmation isn’t required.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Depending on how big they are and how you insure them, they're also at least partially covered by the post office.

I have recovered funds from CP for items shown as left in box that were claimed as not received by the recipient. (Its always been for stuff under $100 so far, so I've not had to engage my third party insurer - they cover the over the first $100 piece, I never insure anything via CP above the $100 initial)
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I've had that happen once but that was years ago and I have seen it mentioned the odd time. I  But since ebay wouldn't require a seller to refund in that circumstance, I suspect that most sellers would tell their buyers that they aren't responsible since there is delivery confirmation so the sellers probably wouldn't even contact CP about it.   Those are probably the sellers who assume that the buyer is trying to scam them.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Yes I agree, and it is too bad because in most categories the buyer isn't likely scamming and they end up burning because of the eBay rules. I personally believe from a customer service perspective I would do my part to help the customer irregardless as to whether I "have to" or not according to the eBay rules - it only costs me time.

In the example I remember, the buyer themselves contacted CP before I got to them, and it went smooth as silk. The buyer also purchased another similar item for the same price from me, so I did not have to refund them, and I got the insurance $$ from CP so in the end I sold 2 of the items.

The buyer, happy about how things turned out continued purchasing from me, something they wouldn't do if I just let them hang.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Those are probably the sellers who assume that the buyer is trying to scam them.

I am constantly amazed at the anger and even paranoia of sellers faced with a Not Received dispute.

I guess they have never worked in retail, and dealt with customers with valid complaints about their purchase.
It also makes me wonder if the seller is responding to how he believes he would react if he received a valuable shipment that had not been properly tracked.

Like Mrs. Bedonebyasyoudid in the Water Babies.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

USPS doesn't have postal outlets, so our American customers would be picking up at actual Post Offices with normal business opening hours. I have no idea what those might be.

Our local Post Office is open M-F 8:30 to 5:30 and I was surprised to learn Saturday 9-5.

The postal outlet is open Sundays as well, and longer hours, basically the same hours as the pharmacy it is in.

Sending a Canadian customer to the postal outlet should be no big deal, although it might help to sell it as "increased protection" against porch piracy.

But either the shorter hours of the USPS offices makes this difficult, or Americans are sooky babies who will pout and whinge if it isn't delivered yesterday into their hands and the carrier kisses their feet after delivery.  I may be a little cynical.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

I recently shipped an item ($1500), paid for signature confirmation via Purolator but they did not physically collect a signature due to COVID.

As expected, the buyer opened an INR case despite the tracking showing the item was delivered and Purolator being able to place their truck in front of that house at the time and date listed.

After several calls to the offshore escalation team, and verbal confirmation that the case would be ruled in my favour, the buyer still got refunded.

I fail to see what protections were offered. I fulfilled every obligation required from the seller's side (I have been selling for 10+ years and know all the steps required to protect myself) and yet am still out $1500. 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

These guys seem to have a better grasp of how eBay should work, try appealing to them.

https://twitter.com/askebay
https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

Message 14 of 14
latest reply