Disputing a negative feedback

I've recently sold a bicycle wheelset, however the guy left me a negative feedback because I did not include the disc brake rotors despite the fact that I wrote "comes with tires and skewers only" in the description. So now my perfect feedback streak got ruined because a guy did not read the description before buying. Would ebay help me if I contact them? 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I know nothing about bike wheels, but did the buyer get exactly the item shown in your photo?  Your FB suggests not.

If not, and if you want the NFB removed, your best bet is to contact the buyer and make things right with him.  

However, if he's not requesting a return for Item Not as Described that's good for you (bad for him) because you'd have to pay return shipping.  (Ouch!)

You could also just walk away and consider yourself lucky.  Take this as a lesson learned and remember to take accurate photos of your items in the future.

You only have a FB score of 30 or so, and while a NFB isn't the end of the world it's annoying and starting a new selling id is certainly an option for you.

The chance that eBay would remove the NFB is pretty much zero.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

In the bicycle section, majority of wheel sellers often take pictures of their wheels with tires, cassette, rotors on (this doesnt violate ebay's image policy). But they all specified only this or that will be included when shipped. I shipped the item as described, with tires and skewers. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

It's a sad fact that most of us have learned the hard way, same as you, the vast majority of people do not read the descriptions.

Generally one can assume they look at the picture and read the title of the item. After that don't assume anything.

In my opinion you stand a 0% chance of ebay undoing it. 

It if were me, I'd send a note offering a partial refund and asking if they'd reconsider the feedback after the situation is resolved. Here are some form letters that have worked for me in the past, feel free to use whatever works for your situation...

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Neutral-Negative-ratings-or-threats-thereof-the-form-lett...  

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Whatever you decide to do, remember that the buyer could file a case for item not as described and you'd have no chance of winning a dispute like that.

If that happens you could be required to pay return shipping which has to be with tracking and for and item of this size that could be considerable.

If your buyer hasn't opened a case you might consider yourself lucky.  I know I would.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

By looking at your ad, if I was purchasing your bike rims I would expect the disc brakes to be included. Your description doesn't say that there not included and your photographs show them attached. 

I wouldn't contact the Seller, let sleeping dogs lye, and hope the buyer doesn't wake up and open a "item not as described" claim with eBay.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Revised....

I wouldn't contact the buyer, let sleeping dogs lye, and hope the buyer doesn't wake up and open a "item not as described" claim with eBay.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Errrr -- 'lie'.

Lye is a caustic chemical used to clean drains and make soap.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

yet another oops... LOL! 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

It's a sad fact that most of us have learned ..., the vast majority of people do not read the descriptions.

Generally one can assume they look at the picture and read the title of the item. After that don't assume anything.

Very true. Earlier this year I sold an item and noticed that ebay's catalog "description" was wrong for the sale. Contacted the buyer to ask if he wanted to cancel and he said -- I didn't actually read the description, the item picture is what I want. Happy sale for me, but it does prove the power of a proper picture/image is not to be taken lightly.

-..-

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Listing says "comes with Specialized Espoir 25c tires & skewers" no mention of only. If only was there maybe buyer would understand. Picture shows all so that is what buyer expects.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

The neg was deserved in this case. Picture clearly showsbrake rotors included.
Message 12 of 12
latest reply