Do Subtitles actually help reach or not really?

I've noticed that views seem down a bit for me. It might be due to lack of subtitles? I got sick of paying for them thinking they don't help..however do they help get more eyes on your listings or not really?

Jake LS@thego2corner 🇨🇦
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Subtitles are not used in Search and they cost money.

The only option I am willing to use is the Standard Promoted Listing promotion, which theoretically gives my PL listings more prominence.

I can choose the fee (one percent for me, I am cheap) and only pay it if the item sells.

Viewers view. Watchers watch. Buyers buy.

And retail waxes and wanes.

How do your sales (number or value) compare with February 2020? 2019? 2018?

Because 2020 was still affected by the pandemic surge in online shopping it should be regarded as an outlier.

And February sales should only be compared to February sales.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Subtitles are not used in Search and they cost money.

The only option I am willing to use is the Standard Promoted Listing promotion, which theoretically gives my PL listings more prominence.

I can choose the fee (one percent for me, I am cheap) and only pay it if the item sells.

Viewers view. Watchers watch. Buyers buy.

And retail waxes and wanes.

How do your sales (number or value) compare with February 2020? 2019? 2018?

Because 2020 was still affected by the pandemic surge in online shopping it should be regarded as an outlier.

And February sales should only be compared to February sales.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

You rock:) Thanks for saving me $ No need to spend on subtitles I guess eh 😉

Have a great day 😀
Best,
Jake LS@thego2corner
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @thego2corner - this is a really good question! Ultimately it will be up to you and what you consider best for your business. 

In my personal opinion though, unless there is meaningful, crucial information about your item that you cannot fit in the title and you want to be visible from the search results page, it's not effective. The subtitle fee is also non-refundable if your item doesn't sell, and you pay again if you relist it.

To @reallynicestamps' point, to increase reach you could consider a Promoted Listing Standard campaign of a low percentage fee and only pay if the item sells. @ricarmic has done some great experimenting with the various Promoted Listing tools we offer and if I recall correctly a 1% ad rate on Promoted Listings Standard campaigns brought him a nice increase in visibility without needing to pay anything until the items sold.

I hope this helps give you some insight and hopefully saves you some money!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Tyler. Thanks for your detailed input. Really helps and crystallizes the situation and the feature much better. Have a great day!

Jake LS@thego2corner 🇨🇦 👍
Message 5 of 5
latest reply