EBAY SEARCH MASSIVELY SCREWED UP....MOST SEARCHES RETURNING 0 RESULTS

Searching on .com for an item early this morning i was surprised when i got 0 results, as i was just looking at a bunch of the item last night.  So i tried some other searches and they also got 0 results.

Some searches do yield results, but all the results were US based sellers.  No Canadian or International listings showed up.

International (ie non US based) items i've put in my cart are still there but they do not show up on .com even when i search for the exact tittle.  

So if your sales to the US are down, this could be why.

For buying things seem to be showing up on .ca, so if you want to search for international based items (or US based items) you can search for them on .ca.  But if you want to sell items to the US, they are not showing up on .com.

I have a couple of hundred listings on .com and none, zero are showing up on the .com site.  I am wondering if the default filter of 'US ONLY' has been auto set, so non US based items will not appear.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

.com search seems to be getting back to normal now as searches are now intermittantly working.  So just a temporary glitch i guess.  

Never a dull moment....

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@fergua3 wrote:

Searching on .com for an item early this morning i was surprised when i got 0 results, as i was just looking at a bunch of the item last night.  So i tried some other searches and they also got 0 results.

Some searches do yield results, but all the results were US based sellers.  No Canadian or International listings showed up.

International (ie non US based) items i've put in my cart are still there but they do not show up on .com even when i search for the exact tittle.  

So if your sales to the US are down, this could be why.

For buying things seem to be showing up on .ca, so if you want to search for international based items (or US based items) you can search for them on .ca.  But if you want to sell items to the US, they are not showing up on .com.

I have a couple of hundred listings on .com and none, zero are showing up on the .com site.  I am wondering if the default filter of 'US ONLY' has been auto set, so non US based items will not appear.

@fergua3 

Went to respond to your message...The first time..... and got an Authentication Fail error. Luck of the draw.

eBay has turned to a hodge podge of tools that work 1 way one time and a different way the next. Maybe a feature was there before. Now it's back. Will it be there next time? Who knows?  Just like search. Maybe you will find you were looking for. Maybe you won't. Will it too be there the next time you search same way. Anyone's guess!!! Even changing browsers can affect search. Search Google brings you to exactly to what you are looking for. eBay it becomes hidden from view. And this delightful tidbit. Finding promoted items not even connected to your original search. Very likely!!

Sorry. You can't blame the economy on what is or isn't getting sold. It's become more about how stuff is found or not found, at any given time. Or promoted to the hilt!!!

eBay. Work in progress. Your results may vary!!

-Lotz

PS. Search results will definitely vary depending on which site you are search for using the same search words and ship to. I've found stores with 1 quantity of listings searching on ca and a greater quantity on dot com. Does the similar happen to ca stores/sellers? Almost definitely. Watchers no longer show up on ca but the same seller searched on com they appear. Should it work that way? I don't think so!!!

dot ca view:

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1690986474747.png

dot com view:

lotzofuniquegoodies_1-1690986549131.png

This change happened a few months ago. This is 1 example. How many more are there?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I just tried from .com and got lots of results showing. I tried a vague search (Ken doll clothing) and mine showed up as part of results so I don't see a change when I look.

For US sales I had three yesterday so I think (hope) they can still see us but that's right now (Wednesday morning) as we all know changes and inconsistency are the new normal!

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

yeah, i think the search outage was probably pretty brief.   From 6:30AM ET to almost 7:30AM ET the vast majority of searches i tried gave 0 results, when i know there shoud be dozens or even hundreds of results. 

What was more concerning to me was the fact that when i did get results from a  search they were all from US based sellers.  No Canadian or International listings showed, not even my own.  So i was thinking ebay.com is in the middle of making some major change to search that only shows US based seller items and nobody's outside the US.

However, everything seems to be back to normal.....for the moment.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Glad it's back to normal for now!

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

When I look at US poster's Listings they do not appear.

Even the Sold Listings don't appear.

Which can make understanding the poster's problem more difficult.

I wonder if this is part of the Search wonkiness?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

When I look at US poster's Listings they do not appear.

Even the Sold Listings don't appear.

Which can make understanding the poster's problem more difficult.

I wonder if this is part of the Search wonkiness?

@reallynicestamps 

@fergua3 

Did a similar test. As per ca @fergua3  shows 235 listings. According to com 215 shipping to Canada

Same results shipped to the USA using dot com

Shipping to the UK 171 on ca. 170 on dot com

If you check co.uk shipping to Canada 58 listings. Shipping to USA 58 listings. Shipping to UK 58 listings.

Checking sold. Shows 18 on ca, 18 on com, 14 on co.uk

Displays may or may not change 15 minutes from now.

=Lotz

All testing done on a pc using chrome.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

since I rarely "search" on .Com for anything(I generally search .CA and get results for Canada/USA/International), so don't have/haven't had any issues with eBay search results...

I do not list on .Com anymore; only on .CA. However, I am not concerned about selling to the USA as the main categories in which I list for the most part, cannot compete with their "media" mail rates, so it has become a futile effort to make selling to USA a focus....If USA buyers do purchase that is well and good...

other categories in which I list are hit and miss with USA buyers...

BUT, I do love my Canadian buyers! and that's what I do focus on...

Message 9 of 9
latest reply