Ebay Chat

Sorry to say, the chats are an absolute disgrace. Not one thing got answered today.

I am sure some will be happy but I can not continually waste my time with chat for absolutely nothing and no answers.

I am sure I am not the only one that feels this way and to those of you that will continue to participate, good luck.

Message 1 of 72
latest reply
71 REPLIES 71

Re: Ebay Chat

@dutchman48 wrote:

Now you are becoming antagonistic and I don't feel an answer will solve that.

I will see if the mods will lock this thread.

But I'm not being antagonistic at all.  I'm curious and want to know what you (and others) see that I don't see.

Also, this isn't about you.  Over the years others have also stated here that eBay is trying to get rid of small sellers and doesn't help or care about us, and so the next step is to ask the logical question:  Other than fixing technical issues and artificially increasing Canadian's US visibility:  "What could eBay reasonably do which would increase our sales?"

Message 21 of 72
latest reply

As a buyer of collectibles, I see the issue from my perspective.  I do not limit myself to looking for items on this site.  In that option, I feel that the question should not be "What should Ebay do?"  Rather, the question should be "What, as a seller, can I do?" 

( I am not allowed to mention other websites names.  I am expressly excluding that website that has a "Z" in it's name.) 

Having said that, I think that your best option is to look at dedicated websites, specializing in what you have to sell.  For vintage, for example, there is another option, a reputable one. For antique items, there is a well respected one also.  Same for books, same for music.  And these last two have advanced search options to their data base. 

These sites might be more modest in scope than this one, however, bigger is not necessarily better.

Message 22 of 72
latest reply

Okay, as a buyer, you do hit up all the other sites around when you are looking for something specific? You don't have concerns about credibility of them or their sellers? Maybe I'm different. I stick to one or three places where I've always shopped because I know I can trust them if something goes pear-shaped with the purchase, I am very unwilling to try someplace new to buy something. My experiences haven't been positive with new places at least 50 per cent of the time. 

Message 23 of 72
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

Also, this isn't about you.  Over the years others have also stated here that eBay is trying to get rid of small sellers and doesn't help or care about us, and so the next step is to ask the logical question:  Other than fixing technical issues and artificially increasing Canadian's US visibility:  "What could eBay reasonably do which would increase our sales?"

As I see it, the issue isn't so much what eBay could do now, but rather the steps they've taken over the past few years, or in some cases things they've omitted to do, most (if not all) of which I expect was deliberate.  In effect, it's really too late to put that toothpaste back into the tube.  

It seems clear to me, looking at the progression of these changes over time, that eBay has been consistently supporting its larger, commercial, "professional" sellers.  This is simply where they've decided to place their focus.  They must know that the effect of many of their policies since about 2012 has been to squeeze out smaller sellers of used or vintage goods and make selling easier and more profitable for those who make eBay the most money with the least trouble.  In other words, hoping to clean up the site of the messiness that was garage sale sellers through attrition.  

So, asking what eBay could reasonably do now to help smaller vintage/collectible sellers, after having pursued policies for the past 5 years that created difficulties or even hardship for such sellers, is pointless.  If I can be forgiven for mixing metaphors, the eBay ship is now headed firmly in a different direction, and I can't imagine them ever turning it around to go back now.  Those of us still hanging on in the wake may or may not continue to survive, depending on the next set of policy changes. 

Many years ago eBay had a primary place in the online selling marketplace, with a large portion of their sellers offering second-hand, collectible, or vintage goods.  Around 2012 eBay began turning its attention toward its mega-sellers.  Those of us who were around then will recall the sudden influx of big (often Chinese) sellers to the site.  This was no accident.  Not only were policies and changes to the site made to streamline and automate the sales process, but I have no doubt that eBay entered into special agreements with those sellers on more favourable terms than the average "traditional" eBay seller.  

EBay could have decided at that point, in effect, to split its site and keep its "traditional" section going alongside the new, commercial eBay.  But they didn't.  Instead, they slowly ground away at their legions of smaller legacy sellers, first by jettisoning the worst of them (through the original defect system), by pushing the less thriving of them out (through the on-time delivery policy), and most recently by effectively downgrading those of us who are left (through dropping $USD listings on .ca and making major changes to TRS).  

At the same time, other enterprising sites took up the challenge and have done a good job of focusing on vintage/collectible sellers.  This is the one thing I've never understood about eBay management.  They could have hung on to both marketplaces had they acted strategically at the time.  Instead, they decided to turn their attention almost exclusively to trying to appear like any other big retail online marketplace selling mass-produced, new, and brand-name goods.  

Anyone who is in doubt about eBay's desired direction need only look at the advertisements on its landing pages.  This is what they chose as a corporation, and this is where we are.  The simple reality is that it has had the effect of either getting rid of, or driving off, a whole legion of smaller sellers of vintage/collectible items, many of whom I now recognize on other sites.  The ones who are still here are the best of the lot eBay had, the most tenacious and the most able to adjust.  I expect a lot of those may soon find it too uncomfortable or unprofitable to continue here, including myself, once our lack of TRS status downgrades us to practical invisibility.  This isn't a complaint on my part, but a recognition of where things stand.  

So there are in fact many things eBay could do to support its traditional smaller sellers -- I can think of a list of 10 or 12 off the top of my head.  But I can't imagine eBay would actually want to take such steps or change such policies, reasonable or not, to turn back the clock now.   

To get back to the OP's original point though, aside from dealing with minor technical or policy questions, there is very little the eBay Canada staff can do or say that will have a significant impact on us as Canadian sellers.  Their hands are tied, not only by HQ policy, but by budget constraints, which is why we so often get non-answer responses or postponements of action.  Expecting them to give true insight into eBay's corporate direction or decision-making is naive.  

However, I do think it is very much eBay's responsibility to focus on repairing the myriad of site issues before re-arranging the décor as they always do.  Of course that work is less glamorous for over-excited young digital designers, but to have a long shopping list of recognized (and some serious) issues dragging on for months, if not longer, is completely unacceptable where a site is charging good money to its users to provide a functioning platform for selling and buying.   

Message 24 of 72
latest reply

@vinage wrote:

Having said that, I think that your best option is to look at dedicated websites, specializing in what you have to sell.  For vintage, for example, there is another option, a reputable one. For antique items, there is a well respected one also.  Same for books, same for music.  And these last two have advanced search options to their data base. 

These sites might be more modest in scope than this one, however, bigger is not necessarily better.

This is precisely the marketplace that eBay let slip away, either intentionally or by default.  Whether that was ultimately a wise business move or not will probably only become clear in another few years. 

I do know that, like me, starting about 2 years ago a lot of vintage/OOAK/collectible eBay sellers took up residence on one or two other, more amenable sites dedicated to that type of seller.  These are reputable sites with decent buyer protection policies in place (and of course Paypal always provides added buyer protection if needed).  Some of those sellers (like me) also stayed here on eBay, on the principle that it was better to have more than one iron in the fire.  

For me, this has worked out well.  I now do more business elsewhere than I do on eBay, and with far less difficulty and frustration, since I have more freedom as a seller to deal directly with buyers.  I have actually developed a much broader worldwide customer base on another site than I ever had on eBay.  

EBay probably still has greater overall visibility, but for vintage/OOAK/collectible sellers, I suspect that visibility has greatly weakened simply because eBay is no longer trying to appeal to that type of buyer, or -- as you say -- those buyers are looking (and purchasing) elsewhere. 

Message 25 of 72
latest reply

Okay, as a buyer, you do hit up all the other sites around when you are looking for something specific? You don't have concerns about credibility of them or their sellers? Maybe I'm different. I stick to one or three places where I've always shopped because I know I can trust them if something goes pear-shaped with the purchase, I am very unwilling to try someplace new to buy something. My experiences haven't been positive with new places at least 50 per cent of the time. 

No! No! No! No! and No! I do not "hit up all the other sites".  In my post I was referring only to one reputable site per category. 

Just because I am a buyer does not imply that I am an idiot  Before doing any business on a website, I do my due diligence.  I check the site policies, sellers protection, buyer's protection, rules about payments, shipping, I look at the feedback and very important to me, I look at the effort the seller put into describing his merchandise and providing details about it.  And my experience has been positive in 100 percent of the time so far!

Message 26 of 72
latest reply

I see. I misread what you posted. I'm interested to hear from shoppers (not sellers) on all those *other* sites to determine what their experiences have been, and whether it's met expectations. As far as I've read, all the other sites are full of sellers but bereft of buyers. Thank you for the clarification.
Message 27 of 72
latest reply

@vinage wrote:

No! No! No! No! and No! I do not "hit up all the other sites".  In my post I was referring only to one reputable site per category. 
Just because I am a buyer does not imply that I am an idiot  Before doing any business on a website, I do my due diligence.  I check the site policies, sellers protection, buyer's protection, rules about payments, shipping, I look at the feedback and very important to me, I look at the effort the seller put into describing his merchandise and providing details about it.  And my experience has been positive in 100 percent of the time so far!

If I may say so, what you expressed here is exactly the sort of thoughtful and careful buyer that good sellers (and sites) want to attract.  

And I have to agree, from my own experience in buying on a site other than eBay, that it too has been completely positive, also as a result of knowing in advance what I can expect from the site and the particular seller.  As you say, it's important to check out both, since there can be problematic sellers on otherwise reputable sites.

The site I'm thinking of does things quite differently than eBay, but in my opinion just as effectively, if not more so, to support buyer confidence and seller honesty. 

Message 28 of 72
latest reply

And to further clarify, I wouldn't suggest you were an idiot if you did hit up all those other sites. Different people have different risk tolerance. I am risk-averse.
Message 29 of 72
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
As far as I've read, all the other sites are full of sellers but bereft of buyers. 

I'm not sure where you're getting this information, but I can say from direct experience that it doesn't apply to one site in particular where I list.  In fact, I've been able to expand my buyer base significantly there in a way I could never do on eBay because of site and policy restrictions here. 

Message 30 of 72
latest reply

I think we're speaking about different sites. I am not talking about the one I think you're talking about. My comment was directed at the post prior to yours.
Message 31 of 72
latest reply

Found you on "that one".  That is one of the sites that I was referring to.  Your shop over there looks really beautiful and appealing. Great job!    And what you did is the exact illustration of what I mean! Sometimes the solution lies outside of this "world"...

Message 32 of 72
latest reply

Thank you so much for your kind compliment.  

Yes, I saw the writing on the wall for smaller niche sellers here on eBay about 2 years ago and decided to set up on "that other site", partly as future insurance, partly as an experiment in hope.  And thankfully it's turned out well, since many of my traditional buyers have gravitated to that site as well.  

As you probably know, eBay effectively banned digital goods over 3 years ago, and at that point I pretty much gave up on any long-term plans to build my business here.  The wonderful thing is that I now have absolutely no shipping worries, and my customers get the same products instantly, anywhere they happen to be in the world.  I honestly think it was stupid of eBay not to come up with the same efficient means of taking control over such sales to give buyers confidence.  

EBay has been effective at shooting itself in the foot in this way on a number of fronts over the years through its short-sighted policies and bizarre decision-making.  Essentially they gave the game away to others, who are doing it better and more creatively. 

Message 33 of 72
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Thank you so much for your kind compliment.  

Yes, I saw the writing on the wall for smaller niche sellers here on eBay about 2 years ago and decided to set up on "that other site", partly as future insurance, partly as an experiment in hope.  And thankfully it's turned out well, since many of my traditional buyers have gravitated to that site as well.  

As you probably know, eBay effectively banned digital goods over 3 years ago, and at that point I pretty much gave up on any long-term plans to build my business here.  The wonderful thing is that I now have absolutely no shipping worries, and my customers get the same products instantly, anywhere they happen to be in the world.  I honestly think it was stupid of eBay not to come up with the same efficient means of taking control over such sales to give buyers confidence.  

EBay has been effective at shooting itself in the foot in this way on a number of fronts over the years through its short-sighted policies and bizarre decision-making.  Essentially they gave the game away to others, who are doing it better and more creatively. 

Your Facebook page is very nice as well. Keep up the good work.

Message 34 of 72
latest reply

@vinage wrote:

( I am not allowed to mention other websites names. 

I've never avoided naming other sites when there's a reason to do so.

Where do you see that this is against board policy?

Message 35 of 72
latest reply

I agree that it would be to ebay's benefit to set up a similar digital delivery system that you are using on the other site.  I am curious though as to why you only have digital items on that site. You've mentioned a number of times on how much you like the site...do you like it only because of the digital delivery? Are you not comfortable selling items that you can ship from that site?

Message 36 of 72
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

@vinage wrote:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/everyone-boards.html

Message 37 of 72
latest reply

Thanks!  I'm now actually getting far more business through FB, Pinterest, that "other site", and my (rather haphazard DIY) website than on eBay, but I've tried to go where my buyers are and where site owners are more flexible, and provide more creative tools and seller support.  

An example: this "other site" came up with nifty little buttons, programming all user-ready, that could be inserted anywhere you liked, to link back to the shop.  This was something I'd been trying to ask eBay Canada to do, literally for years.  To give credit for effort where due, Raphael did once send me an entire page full of code to accomplish something similar, along with another page of instructions.  Needless to say I never did get around to puzzling it out enough to make use of it. 

In any case, it became clear around about 2015 that eBay wasn't focused on supporting the likes of me anymore.  Do they care, or does it matter to them that they've lost a lot of my fellow "boutique" sellers?  Likely not -- they're interested in much bigger fish now.  That's okay, I'm persistent, I'll last as long as I can here, either until they either actually kick me out, or finally come up with a policy that does me in for good.  

Message 38 of 72
latest reply

Why don't you call the other site Gretzky. That would get a lot of attention but not sure if his name could be used without permission.

Message 39 of 72
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

@sylviebee wrote:

@vinage wrote:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/everyone-boards.html

Yes, I've read that but I can't locate where it says that it's against policy to name other sites.  Not to say it's not there.  I just can't find it.

Could you be specific please?

Message 40 of 72
latest reply