Ebay collecting GST/HST/PST/QST

I just had my first sale since "ebay takes over" collecting tax and well that didnt go well lol!!! the sale was at Jul 1, 2022 00:53:59 EST

I have a tax table and it looks like it has NOT been disabled lol

My first sale was to BC which was GST 5% before and is suppose to be GST and PST for 12%

Buyer only paid 5% and unlike USA sales doesnt say *tax collected by ebay beside tax section

As shown below, $0.74 tax is only 5% of item price and shipping. Also my NET ebay is sending me includes the $0.74 tax.

Anyone else have any sales yet? And are you registered with a tax table or not?

sale.jpg

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Your listings still look like they're showing your tax table setup too (both my stores appear to be as well). My guess is someone hasn't flipped the switch yet. They probably took off early for the long weekend!

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

As a buyer I saw a non-registered seller's listing have sales tax switched on a few seconds after midnight (*). So I suspect it is a matter of priority.

(*) -- I was slow making shopping cart adjustments, so my last minute purchase crossed the midnight boundary and the price went from no tax to taxed (putting an end to my shopping spree) ... 😒

-;-

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

If the BC buyer's order was processed July 1st at 00:53 EDT then that would have been June 30th 22:53 BC time. 

If I recall correctly, BC's requirement for PST collection by online Marketplace Facilitors is effective July 1, 2022.  By placing their order when they did the customer may have gotten in "under the wire" to avoid being charged BC PST.

My first July 2022 sale was processed at 01:25 EDT.

Order Details show the MB customer was correctly charged 5% MST and 7% PST.  A footnote states "*eBay collects GST/HST/PST/QST on behalf of sellers".

Final Value Fees were based on the total amount ebay collected on my behalf (i.e., selling price + sales taxes) so the net amount I'll receive is a few cents less than if the order had been processed 86 mins. sooner.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Just sold Bullion, buyer was taxed. This is illegal.

Taking notes, formal notice to be served - chat transscripts with eBay, audio correspondence with Tax prepresentatives from Revenu Canada confirming tax excemption of precious metals, so on and so forth. I would suggest sellers do the same. 

This affects both sellers and buyers, buyers are paying an illegal tax which in turn will deter the customer from purchasing metals on eBay, leaving us sellers in the dark, unsure whether or not eBay will correct this illegal issue. 

I'll make **bleep** sure my clients are not paying a CENT in taxes on precious metals. 

Blow the whistle on this one folks! Write to a CRA rep, write to eBay, Governor general ...whoever. Stop this illegal taxing! 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@regs43 wrote:

I just had my first sale since "ebay takes over" collecting tax and well that didnt go well lol!!! the sale was at Jul 1, 2022 00:53:59 EST

I have a tax table and it looks like it has NOT been disabled lol

My first sale was to BC which was GST 5% before and is suppose to be GST and PST for 12%

Buyer only paid 5% and unlike USA sales doesnt say *tax collected by ebay beside tax section

As shown below, $0.74 tax is only 5% of item price and shipping. Also my NET ebay is sending me includes the $0.74 tax.

Anyone else have any sales yet? And are you registered with a tax table or not?

sale.jpg

BIG IF here but if things were done properly it the order details in ALL places including customer packing slip should now show Canadian Tax collected...BY eBay vs seller AND the % showing the split being charged like it would on a normal B & M store. Similar to how it shows VAT Tax collected by eBay. Like most things eBay there seems to be a dropping of ball when it comes to showing basic info like this. How we were had it hammered into our heads....."Show your math!!!" As I recall it is ummm illegal to tax a tax. How is eBay applying it and are they doing it correctly?

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/gst-hst-businesses/charge-col...

-Lotz

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

BIG IF here but if things were done properly it the order details in ALL places including customer packing slip should now show Canadian Tax collected...BY eBay vs seller AND the % showing the split being charged like it would on a normal B & M store. Similar to how it shows VAT Tax collected by eBay. Like most things eBay there seems to be a dropping of ball when it comes to showing basic info like this.

Not suggesting that The River is doing things "properly," but I recently made a couple of small purchases through them and not only did I not get a packing slip /receipt with them, but I had to dig pretty deep into my order history file to find a digital version of one complete with GST number.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I stay up pretty late (night owl) and the Tax table was still active until about 345 am EST (last time I checked). I got 2 sales in at 4:09am and 4:11 am and I noticed at that time that thoese buyers were charged tax that was collected by ebay.

As @ypdc_dennis mentioned, I did notice that other non registered sellers were charging tax right at 12 am EST. Must have been a tape delay to get the tax tables taken down.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

BIG IF here but if things were done properly it the order details in ALL places including customer packing slip should now show Canadian Tax collected...BY eBay vs seller AND the % showing the split being charged like it would on a normal B & M store. Similar to how it shows VAT Tax collected by eBay. Like most things eBay there seems to be a dropping of ball when it comes to showing basic info like this.

Not suggesting that The River is doing things "properly," but I recently made a couple of small purchases through them and not only did I not get a packing slip /receipt with them, but I had to dig pretty deep into my order history file to find a digital version of one complete with GST number.

Welcome to the new paperless society. I believe with the River a packing slip is by request. Similar with LD or Staples. Not automatic. Also, if you look at your label from the River there is no ship from address. What used to be a requirement with couriers. Because of past experience in warehousing a packing slip is standard for me. With my sales often I am selling to businesses who require some sort of papertrail to receive the goods. In a few cases I have had buyers ask me to put their P0 number on the copy to make receiving easier. (Part of going the extra mile for my customers).  Also when you ship by courier a requirement is to include a packing slip that should match the customs invoice when shipping Internationally. If you put the packing slip on outside of the box, from past experience customs thinks its for them vs the customer so I include inside. I include with mail orders with CP and have never(knock on wood) had a problem. I'm just old school when it comes to this and the fact that eBay etc skip steps because they believe they are un-necessary has always been a bit of pet peeve of mine. Even with new (MP) system of payments/messaging the way for a seller to see any specific shipping instructions (leave at side door...do not safe drop etc) it means often this info is missed by seller. The information used to be included with payment email.

-Lotz

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Also, if you look at your label from the River there is no ship from address. What used to be a requirement with couriers.

Well, seeing as Amazon has its own in-house courier system for a lot of its sales, I think they'd be able to figure out where to direct an undeliverable package or parcel.

And if this is the case for items shipped through other carriers, there's probably a reason why Amazon has its logo plastered all over its boxes and envelopes.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

Also, if you look at your label from the River there is no ship from address. What used to be a requirement with couriers.

Well, seeing as Amazon has its own in-house courier system for a lot of its sales, I think they'd be able to figure out where to direct an undeliverable package or parcel.

And if this is the case for items shipped through other carriers, there's probably a reason why Amazon has its logo plastered all over its boxes and envelopes.

And probaby so buyers don't call them when there is a problem. Have to use "the process"!

-Lotz

Message 11 of 11
latest reply