Ebay labels overcharge on multiple occasions now

Has anyone else had this problem. When I purchase labels through the ebay feature I have been overcharged to the tune of $4.00 and sometimes more.

I noticed this a couple of times with Small Parcel but didn't pay much attention to this at first. Also had the same problem with Tracked Parcel but that one was harder for me to detect as prices vary a bit more depending on where the item is going. I thought maybe the prices went up as this happened in the last 2-3 months.  After January sometimes and since I have signed up with this hated MP system and having to use ebay labels.

After the third time of getting nailed with a $12.98 fee for shipping a small parcel envelope (weighing about 50 grams) I went to Canada Post website and double checked. Sure enough it was quoting me around $8.90 without the discount we usually get.  So on the fourth one like that I contacted ebay. I had a package to ship that day and again was stuck with this $12.98 cost. Like a flat fee and nothing would budge to rectify.  Then checked on Shippo and the same problem there. A flat fee of $12.98 and nothing budging. Cost of tracking wasn't much higher. Something really off here on all counts.

The dimensions part is finally fixed from inches to cms and we can finally enter the proper dimensions. The weight part had not been fixed as of last week when I went to use it. I had to physically take something to the post office and mail it as I had no other option. Or pay the $12.98.

Ebay reimbursed me for the last two but I know there was more than those 2. I delete listings on my site once a buyer has left feedback so hard to keep track of which one it might have been. Post office is making a lot of extra money these days if a lot of us are being overcharged like this. The new sellers that wouldn't know the approximate costs of shipping parcels and would think this is normal.

I also noticed that the price of Tracked Parcel was more on a couple of parcels that I had to ship. Found it odd a bit that it was so costly but thought I could be wrong. Its probably right. I shipped anyways because of my 1 day handling time and it didn't even click to go double check on the Canada Post website.

So just writing this up to let people know the problem is out there. I am sure I am not the only one having this problem. Another glitch in their wonderful system that's taking months to fix.

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Ebay labels overcharge on multiple occasions now

I automatically get level 2 with Shippo. That is why until there is a way to connect your account directly to eBay Labels there is no good reason to switch especially when you take in it's other shortcomings.

In the past in checking with PayPal I never found a way to hook up my account number so I've stuck with Shippo. No issues except when eBay does something wrong like not fixing the Fuel Surcharge (this year) or Tracked & Small Pkt Air upgrades from 1 to 2 Kg (last year) but that's on eBay not Shippo.

-Lotz

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@luv4orphans wrote:

Good question. Because after so many dollars spent we should be able to get a higher discount from CP no? Never thought of that one. I know if I have to bring something to the post office and use my CP account its at 5%. Should that go up eventually?

If you sign into your small business account at Canada Post you should be able see how much you have spent on postage and which level you should be on.   I could be wrong but I doubt if the discount given at the counter goes up with volume as they want to encourage online labels.

If you purchase postage at the counter using your card the rate you pay will be slightly higher than what you pay online. Any purchases made at the will get directed to your account so they can acrue. Same thing happens if a customer returns something on your account. It will always be slightly higher than what you paid for the original shipment. (Or RTS's where CP chooses to charge you)

-Lotz

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

Will have to check on that next time I have to print one. I have not seen what the discount is on the ebay labels so hard to say what it is. I think that part is missing. Will have to pay closer attention to this.

Good news though they have finally fixed the dimensions & the weight glitch so can now enter the exact info.

Still seems though that I paid a bit much again for an item that went as a Tracked Parcel a couple of days ago.  Maybe not though, the item was going to California. Again never thought to go double check at CP website.  My mistake.

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

@ilikehockeyjerseys wrote:

I really want to use this feature. It would make my life easier to have less paperwork to do with expenses and taxes. 

I did a few labels to test it out. The first issue I have, is there doesn't seem to be any statement about GST collected. Because I am registered to collect GST, this is important. 

Second, the price is higher than what I am charged through snap ship. Even if we assume there is a way for me to figure out the GST and deduct it from the eBay label, it is still higher. I guess it is possible that I get a larger discount through snap ship because of volume. I'm not sure. But it doesn't make sense for me to switch platforms and pay more money for labels. 

I'm not sure what your volume or split is for parcels vs letter mail or if they can be run through a mailfeed/have to be hand labeled? If you have a high volume of the latter you can apply for a discount with CP or Pitney Bowes.  A meter would be required. Some PB systems include mailfeed option. Others are scale + printer. Not sure with CP systems.

The last time I used a PB system (80ies/90ies) GST/PST/HST was not in play for postage. Weigh...Rate Chart Cheat Sheet...Print....Apply. Note postage charged for customer service.

https://www.pitneybowes.com/ca/en/shipping-and-mailing/postage-meters.html?cid=display_gdn_caen_sts_...

-Lotz

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

If you are being overcharged, and they have no plans on fixing it, stop using it. That's theft, even if it's a small amount. Start using it again when it is fixed. If they want ppl to use this online service, they need to make sure everything is working correctly. It's not hard for them to fix it, if they wanted to that is. 

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

Hi,

Yes, I always enter in the package info first, I never enter in package info when creating listings so it's always off until I enter in the package weight and dimensons. I just double checked a couple packages. One to the US and one within Canada, both were slightly cheaper via Shippo. 

Maybe I'm getting more than the expected level 1 online discount via Shippo? Either way I'm not overly concerned at this point, as long as Shippo importing continues to work.

thanks!

Darryl

Message 26 of 33
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

This was the other discussion with the related posts on overcharges for shipping with the new eBay Labels.

Add on for the programmers.

Will there be a way with eBay labels for sellers to purchase return postage when required or will they still need to use Shippo?

-Lotz

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

I bought a shipping label through eBay for $20.55 but later noticed in the transaction info that I had been charged $22.41. 

THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME THAT EBAY HAS ADDED $1.86 TO MY SHIPPING COST.

At first, eBay tried to tell me that my shipping dimensions were greater than listed... but I have been selling this last item since 1989 and the weigh and dimensions have never changed.... and it was actually 60 grams under postal rate.  

Secondly, this matter was being bumped up to a supervisor to determine where this charged originated (eBay or Post Office - conflicts with first excuse).

THIS IS SEEMS TO BE VERY SIMILAR TO A BAIT AND SWITCH  CON!

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

ZOMBIE thread from 2021

Much of the info on this thread is out-of-date because of changes.

How to start a new thread:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Discussion-Boards/ct-p/11002

Click on "Start a conversation"

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

@sidney-dave wrote:

I bought a shipping label through eBay for $20.55 but later noticed in the transaction info that I had been charged $22.41. 

At first, eBay tried to tell me that my shipping dimensions were greater than listed... but I have been selling this last item since 1989 and the weigh and dimensions have never changed.... and it was actually 60 grams under postal rate.  

Secondly, this matter was being bumped up to a supervisor to determine where this charged originated (eBay or Post Office - conflicts with first excuse).

Are you taking GST/HST/PST into consideration? The rate that that would apply is dependent on both your location and the destination location.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 30 of 33
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@sidney-dave wrote:

Are you taking GST/HST/PST into consideration? The rate that that would apply is dependent on both your location and the destination location.

@recped 

@sidney-dave 

It sounds more like an audit situation. The total that displays when you transact a label shows up on the label dropdown. Then there is the delay for CP/eBay to process. Unfortunately if it does get audited/adjusted it just shows the final charge with no explanation on sellers transaction page. When in doubt, best to round up. Never round down on measurements.

-Lotz

Message 31 of 33
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

It sounds more like an audit situation. The total that displays when you transact a label shows up on the label dropdown. Then there is the delay for CP/eBay to process. Unfortunately if it does get audited/adjusted it just shows the final charge with no explanation on sellers transaction page. When in doubt, best to round up. Never round down on measurements.

-Lotz

Also, measure EVERYTHING. Box sizes printed on the boxes are usually inside dimensions.

Message 32 of 33
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 33 of 33
latest reply