Ebay refunded a buyer before their package has arrived

I sold some vintage Pepsi cans on September 19 (it’s going to Spain) and shipped them out. On October 6 the buyer opened a not received case with eBay. I told the buyer that their order was shipped as ‘surface’ so it will be getting there by boat, and that it would take about 4 to 8 weeks to arrive. So the buyer didn’t bother to message me back. On October 26 the buyer says their order hasn’t arrived yet and contacted customer support. And they closed the case and refunding the buyer. It’s only been about 5 weeks and I clearly told the buyer that it would take around 4 to 8 weeks for their package to arrive. Can I reopen the case? I know the package is on it’s way. I didn’t get tracking number either because it’s too expensive. So what should I do?
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Without tracking to show delivered, there is unfortunately nothing you can do. Whose idea was it to ship untracked surface: yours or theirs? My next advice depends on your answer.
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

If it was for the Michael Jackson tins, your listing showed you would be using Small Packets International Air (for $15.00)   When you opted to ship surface, did you notify your buyer before shipping that it was too expensive for you to ship air and you were shipping ground and it would take "x" amount of time longer to arrive? Or did that conversation not take place until they opened the case on Oct 6? 

If you had notified them from the get-go, did the buyer agree?  Of course, without a tracking number, you are usually S.O.L on an INR claim......just asking to see if you and your buyer were on the same page before it was shipped surface?

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I always ship surface and I can only get a tracking number with priority shipping which can cost anywhere from $20 to 40 dollars. I just get whatever’s cheapest.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I only notified the buyer on October 6 that their package would arrive within 4 to 8 weeks and that surface shipping doesn’t come with a tracking number because it’s too expensive. they never replied back. I know I should of notified the buyer about it in the beginning. But most of my customers message me when their package hasn’t arrived yet and I always assure them that it will arrive within 4 to 8 weeks and their fine with it. I clearly told the buyer that it would arrive within that timeframe and they still went to customer service around the 5th week and eBay ended up refunding them. Since I didn’t have a tracking number and based on the other answers I got there’s nothing I can do about it. Do you think the best thing I can do right now is message the buyer (hoping that their honest) ask them to send the money back to me when their order arrives.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Going this route ends up also costing you a defect because ebay acted on the case.

In the future it is much better to proactively work with the buyer (I also suggest never shipping surface that is 99% of the time asking for problems).

Here are some sample form letters I use with buyers. Portions of this you may be able to use even in this situation, the buyer will likely still let you know, I have a very good honesty rate in my (stamp) world hopefully you will too.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/RICARMICs-INR-where-is-my-package-updated-2016-form-lette...

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

it doesn't matter what timeline  you provide to your customers, it is the one that ebay provides that matters, if the items han't arrived by ebay's expected delivery date, a buyer can open, and escalate a case.. and without tracking, there is very little you can do. 

you can always send them a polite note, asking them to resend payment once they have received their items.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Never, ever ever ship surface untracked. You will lose every case that you do. It takes too long for buyers to wait and it offers a seller absolutely no protection from cases of Items Not Received.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I told the buyer that their order was shipped as ‘surface’ so it will be getting there by boat, and that it would take about 4 to 8 weeks to arrive.

So when the buyer filed the Not Received dispute, he had in fact NOT RECEIVED the shipment.

You lose.

I just get whatever’s cheapest.

Penny wise and pound foolish.

Tracking is a Seller Protection. If you are comfortable with paying the occasional INR refund, fine. I don't often track myself, but I don't ship by Surface either.

If you do have a tracking number, keep an eye on the shipment. When it arrives, send a Paypal invoice to the buyer for the amount of the refund.

There is a decent chance he will pay, because most people are honest.

If you don't have a tracking number, send the PP invoice after six weeks on the basis that it probably has arrived.

Keep in mind that you do not pay for shipping. The Buyer pays for shipping.

If he wants your item, he pays enough for shipping to cover your costs.

If he can't afford it, tough.

Some sales are not worth having.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Just to flog a horse that--while not dead--isn't in great shape, your listing states that the cans are to be shipped by small packet air for C$15 and eBay states a delivery time estimate of 6-11 business days to Spain.

You really shouldn't turn around and offer the buyer something else unless you two have agreed to that something else before purchasing.  While many American buyers won't get it, international buyers from other locations do tend to understand that international shipping is expensive and will take that into consideration when making their purchase.  What they probably won't understand, however, is that surface shipping from another continent can take a while.

The eBay delivery time estimate plus your information probably led your buyer to file the non-delivery claim on the low end of your stated delivery time estimate.  They did wait a month from purchase date, after all.  I agree with others' suggestions in this thread that you stick to small packet air for sales like this one.  Tracking is a waste of money for sales like this with relatively modest values.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Also, spend some time here getting an idea of costs. https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

You cannot trust Shippo's lowest-cost-option first service display. I flagged this problem with the New View from the start. Never choose surface packet. We all made that mistake at first, so don't beat yourself up over it. But don't keep repeating that mistake. 

If you want to continue to ship using cheap Air Packet at least consider third-party insurance to mitigate your losses. You can buy that from a variety of sources. Or self-insure using a handling fee. Femme talks Cookie Jar insurance so I won't steal her thunder but she makes a good, sensible point to most sellers.

And then there are folks like me who only ship via Tracked Packet to the 32 counties served by it through Canada Post because I grew weary of INRs although I had relatively few but still more than I cared to deal with. My final straw was two instances in rapid succession where it was clear the buyers in question were exploiting the untracked nature of the shipments. 

Most items are not lost in transit, either they are delayed or delivered but claimed not to be. The actual rate that Canada Post uses as a percentage of legitimate lost mail is low.

The problem is with untracked. 

And, more importantly, not meeting the expectations set out for the buyer by the service given in the listing. 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

When your listing states that you ship with Airmail and then you turn around and ship Surface instead, it's essentially false advertisement, as you didn't deliver via Airmail as advertised. You're lucky that this is your first buyer to file INR against you.

There is nothing you can do for this sale other than to politely ask the buyer to pay you back when it arrives. The buyer was already very patient and waited 5 weeks for the "airmail" shipment. Don't ship surface again, and correct your listings so that it reflects the actual cost of the airmail shipment.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Whoa!!  "Always ship by surface"!!!!  It is insane and risk.  Use tracking number!!  Duh!!

Message 13 of 13
latest reply