Escalated dispute cases

Has anyone here ever been ruled in favor of a buyer initiated dispute? Seems to me after reading about many cases eBay/PP invaribly always rule in favor of the buyer.

A Prayer:
Bless my friends, relatives and those that I care deeply for. Show them a new revelation of love and power. Where there is pain, give them peace and mercy. Where there is self-doubt, release a renewed confidence. Where there is need, I ask their needs to be fulfilled. Bless their homes, families, finances, their goings and their comings. Amen
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Escalated dispute cases

marnotom!
Community Member

@kmilton2p wrote:

Has anyone here ever been ruled in favor of a buyer initiated dispute? Seems to me after reading about many cases eBay/PP invaribly always rule in favor of the buyer.

Which either means that the buyers are likely being straight with eBay/PayPal or else sellers aren't bothering to post about the cases in which they've prevailed.

What sort of dispute/case is this?  Is the buyer claiming that the item is not received?  If so, you need to prove that the buyer's claim is bogus and that the item was indeed received at the address on file.

Is the buyer claiming that the item is not as described?  Those are trickier for sellers to come out on top.  Basically, you need to somehow prove that the item is indeed what it is as described in the listing text.

In both cases, it's often just less hassle and better customer service to take the customer at their word unless you're absolutely sure you can prove otherwise.  Remember, this whole dispute/case process is in theory a mediation process.  It's not supposed to be "judge and jury".  If you can work things out yourself with your buyer, so much the better.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I won the last three straight as the buyer either abandoned the case or admitted they were wrong.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I don't get many, and I would think that for most responsible sellers, any sort of dispute is unusual.

The few I see usually are usually based on slow delivery. If the buyer contacts me first, I can give the shipping date and service and ask for a full 30 days to pass before further action.

Because of Muphy's Law, the item usually arrives the next day. All is well.

Or, it doesn't, and I refund from my Cookie Jar Insurance Fund. All is well.

But if the buyer goes to eBay/PP first, then I put the shipping info into the dispute and offer a full refund (Cookie Jar again). When I refund willingly, the dispute goes away and my selling record is unaffected. Allis well.

Most of my sales are in the $10 range, and my bookbuyers tend to read, so I may be luckier than others. There are some categories that seem to attract the entitled, the scammers and the loons.

The main thing is to understand your customer and to understand the actual dollar cost of accepting or fighting the problem.  

Message 4 of 4
latest reply