Expedited Lite for Canadian Sellers using eBay Labels

This just showed up hot off the presses.

https://www.ebay.ca/sellercentre/shipping/ebay-labels/canada-post-expedited-lite?mkevt=1&mkpid=2&ems...

Only available on eBay Labels: Ship small. Save big.

Package specifications

Ship with an envelope or a small parcel that meets the following criteria:

• Weighs no more than 200 grams

• No one dimension exceeds 41 cm (16.1”)

• Maximum volume (L x W x H) of up to 3,220 cubic centimeters

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1683133474900.png

YAYYYYYY!!!!!

-Lotz

Message 1 of 181
latest reply
180 REPLIES 180

Re: Expedited Lite for Canadian Sellers using eBay Labels

Length * Width * Height, and it's 3220.  As an example, an 8x6x4 box is (roughly) 21x16x11 cm which would be 3696 cubic cm.

Message 41 of 181
latest reply

I took a look at business policies, and the new expedited lite is an option to select there under the calculated shipping options.

Message 42 of 181
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

I took a look at business policies, and the new expedited lite is an option to select there under the calculated shipping options.

This must have just been added today, becasue I looked last night in my business policies and didnt see anything then. So thats good news!

Message 43 of 181
latest reply

I did a test and added a calculated policy to my ebay account, Moved 1 listing to it, updated the dimensions of 10x10x2 cm to the listing and its working!

Message 44 of 181
latest reply

INRs on cheap untracked items is not a problem. With that said, sellers perceive it as a bigger issue than it is. If eBay in conjunction with Canada Post solve that problem with either some form of cheap insurance coverage, or some sort of cheap lettermail type service, there is a lot of money to be made.

If eBay had a service where good standing sellers could pay $1 to be covered for INRs on items below say $30, most sellers would pay that. It would be illogical to pay it, but most sellers still would. People might exploit it and scam eBay, but that already happens with buyer protection. eBay requires man power and loses fees when a buyer makes a false claim, INR or otherwise. 

Expedited Lite is a step in the right direction, but it seems to be more for customers than for sellers. eBay seems to be positioning themselves as a safe platform for people to buy collectibles without having to worry about scams or authenticity issues. This seems like the type of thing where a seller can offer it as a tier in addition to lettermail, where buyers who feel unsafe buying things untracked now have a more reasonable option to select than Regular Parcel. Not every buyer understands that they are covered if an untracked item doesn't arrive, so tracking is important to some buyers.

Of course, this is useful for the rare scenario where a seller has an item above their threshold of comfort for an untracked shipment. Or, if the buyer has significant feedback pointing to INR fraud. Like others have pointed out, it's still too expensive to use on every single order. 

Maybe there could be a slower and cheaper tracked service where it is direct to post office, or requires the use of a Canada Post Flex address. 

eBay could also fold any of these services into their store subscriptions, which if they can find a way to offer additional cheaper tracked services for sellers would encourage sellers to subscribe or upgrade their store account. 

Ultimately, as someone who sells a lot of untracked items in the 50 or less dollar range, I don't think lettermail for low cost items is a problem. I think a majority of sellers perceive it to be a problem, and I think tracking is something that can add value for buyers. So while Expedited Lite is a useful tool for a certain tier of items, I could see there being room for eBay to come up with an additional service for cheaper items that aren't worth paying an additional 5-6 dollars to send tracked. 

Message 45 of 181
latest reply

@ilikehockeyjerseys  There's lots of things that don't fit lettermail (at least legally) though and are under 200g. This will be huge for things in those categories, turning them from barely sellable to potentially in-demand. I can't tell you the number of times I've had something lower value I wanted to list that was between 2 and 3cm thick.  200g is really tight (I'm going to have to buy some lighter boxes I think), but it's a big first step.

Message 46 of 181
latest reply

I can buy labels for items that are not in the collectibles category using the new service.

If this shouldn't be a thing why can I do it?

Now should I? If not, why?

Message 47 of 181
latest reply

@electronicifycanada 

@flipistics 

Would be good to know why it even matters what category an item is listed in when  sells to qualify? They should only be concerned that it meets the size requirements. Yes/No. Good to go. Not good to go. Done

This is how my recent purchase displays in shippo Labels because a payment has not been received.. Expedited lite does not show up as an option so unable to send a valid invoice including that service.

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1683229597301.png

After they paid this is what showed up. The item is not in the collectible category but is under the weight requirements. Rate with CP would be 20.49 vs 7.27 with Expedited Lite.

lotzofuniquegoodies_1-1683230736981.png

-Lotz

Message 48 of 181
latest reply

This is a good point. It will enable people to sell smaller items that don't qualify for lettermail.

With that said, that is where the 200g limit is going to be a bottleneck. I find that a lot of items that fit what you described tend to be in the 200g-300g range. An example of this is thicker 2-4 disc CD cases. Without any packaging, most are close to or exceed 200g. They usually need cardboard stiffeners or additional packaging to prevent them from getting cracked, so shipping them in a poly bag or envelope isn't a realistic option.

The sweet spot for this type of service, at least for media, would be 300g. Most media that isn't eligible for lettermail tends to be in that 200-299 sweet spot. 

Message 49 of 181
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

@ilikehockeyjerseys  There's lots of things that don't fit lettermail (at least legally) though and are under 200g. This will be huge for things in those categories, turning them from barely sellable to potentially in-demand. I can't tell you the number of times I've had something lower value I wanted to list that was between 2 and 3cm thick.  200g is really tight (I'm going to have to buy some lighter boxes I think), but it's a big first step.

This is exactly the case for me! I often have very light weight items like small dolls, ( under 100 grams) but their darn heads make package too wide too qualify for oversize mail. I even have one of those plastic Canada Post sizing templates because a couple of times I thought I was safe when I wasn't (those CP girls see me so much it's one of the perks, they gave me their extra one). 

I'm still a little nervous to try and have only had larger size items sell since it started. I'm waiting/hoping to read a success story here of a flawless transaction with this new method. I did see it listed under Shipping Policies but also noted there was no time frame attached with it like the other services do.

Message 50 of 181
latest reply

I'm not sure why you can't see it but I definitely can see it for this item...

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/194220003252

I have a order that has enough quantity to allow me to want to ship it using this new service. I might try it and see if eBay or Canada Post will try to stop me.

Message 51 of 181
latest reply

@electronicifycanada wrote:

I can buy labels for items that are not in the collectibles category using the new service.

If this shouldn't be a thing why can I do it?

Now should I? If not, why?

Perhaps you're like me....waiting for others to try first! Somehow there's comfort in knowing you're not the first test subject!

Message 52 of 181
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

I'm still a little nervous to try and have only had larger size items sell since it started. I'm waiting/hoping to read a success story here of a flawless transaction with this new method. I did see it listed under Shipping Policies but also noted there was no time frame attached with it like the other services do.

I've changed several of my listings (in the store on this account) to use it, so we'll see. I limited it to things that roughly fit a collectible type of item though. It appears to show delivery times on the listing itself.

I'm not clear if the shipping discounts we can set for level 4 is also used for this new service as well. That would be ... annoying if it did.

Message 53 of 181
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

devon@ebay wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

devon@ebay wrote:

@flipistics wrote:

devon@ebay  Can we get clarification on whether we are allowed to select the new Expedited lite service for anything that fits the weight and size restriction?

@flipistics I was able to reach out to the Shipping team and this is what they shared on the new service:

"Expedited Lite is designed for shipping light weight items in the Collectibles category with a tracked service."

devon@ebay 

Sorry but that did not clear up the confusion.  We realize that is what it says that in the announcement however, there is contradicting information.  From the FAQ:

For what types of items can I use the Canada Post Expedited Lite for Collectibles service?

This service is only available for specific categories: trading cards, paper money, coins, and comic books.

https://www.ebay.ca/sellercentre/shipping/ebay-labels/canada-post-expedited-litehttps://www.ebay.ca/...

1.   So is it only for those 4 categories?  Or is it for all items in the collectible categories under 200gr? 

2.   If it is just for the 4 categories, will they be expanding it in the future?   

Hi @pjcdn2005! Sellers can use this service for shipping DVDs, CDs, postcards, and anything else in a collectable category that is under 200 g. So this not limited to just the five options that are listed. 

devon@ebay 

The service is not showing up as available when you try to update a listing to include. How are buyers supposed to know about the special rate for these types of items if it is impossible to update a listing? 

Will the announcement be modified to reflect the information you just posted?

-Lotz

@lotzofuniquegoodies The shipping team is working to add this service as an option in the listing flow so that it is available for calculated shipping. This will allow your buyers to see the new shipping costs based on their location in Canada. Stay tuned for further updates in the coming days.

Message 54 of 181
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

devon@ebay wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

devon@ebay wrote:

@flipistics wrote:

devon@ebay  Can we get clarification on whether we are allowed to select the new Expedited lite service for anything that fits the weight and size restriction?

@flipistics I was able to reach out to the Shipping team and this is what they shared on the new service:

"Expedited Lite is designed for shipping light weight items in the Collectibles category with a tracked service."

devon@ebay 

Sorry but that did not clear up the confusion.  We realize that is what it says that in the announcement however, there is contradicting information.  From the FAQ:

For what types of items can I use the Canada Post Expedited Lite for Collectibles service?

This service is only available for specific categories: trading cards, paper money, coins, and comic books.

https://www.ebay.ca/sellercentre/shipping/ebay-labels/canada-post-expedited-litehttps://www.ebay.ca/...

1.   So is it only for those 4 categories?  Or is it for all items in the collectible categories under 200gr? 

2.   If it is just for the 4 categories, will they be expanding it in the future?   

Hi @pjcdn2005! Sellers can use this service for shipping DVDs, CDs, postcards, and anything else in a collectable category that is under 200 g. So this not limited to just the five options that are listed. 

devon@ebay 

The service is not showing up as available when you try to update a listing to include. How are buyers supposed to know about the special rate for these types of items if it is impossible to update a listing? 

Will the announcement be modified to reflect the information you just posted?

-Lotz

@lotzofuniquegoodies The shipping team is working to add this service as an option in the listing flow so that it is available for calculated shipping. This will allow your buyers to see the new shipping costs based on their location in Canada. Stay tuned for further updates in the coming days.

devon@ebay 

Just to confirm, in the future when things have been fully resolved will that service automatically display on parcels that qualify or will sellers need to go through and manually add that service where applicable? And is the cubing multiplier (LxWxH/5000 built into the calculation?

=Lotz

Message 55 of 181
latest reply

I keep checking back here to see any updates from anyone. Good luck! Hope to see good news from many.

I don't think any other shipping discounts would qualify as this seems to be an exclusive eBay an CP deal I think it would be the Lite label and that's it. I sold one light item but it was going to US so different promo but I took advantage of the Level 4 deal with the labels on that one.

Message 56 of 181
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

I keep checking back here to see any updates from anyone. Good luck! Hope to see good news from many.

I don't think any other shipping discounts would qualify as this seems to be an exclusive eBay an CP deal I think it would be the Lite label and that's it. I sold one light item but it was going to US so different promo but I took advantage of the Level 4 deal with the labels on that one.

No, I mean you can set a discount in your settings under shipping preferences. This is a way you can sort of adjust for level 4 not being shown to customers. I suspect this discount may also be applied to this new service, which isn't ideal. I guess I'll eventually find out.

Message 57 of 181
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

@msau4301 wrote:

No, I mean you can set a discount in your settings under shipping preferences. This is a way you can sort of adjust for level 4 not being shown to customers. I suspect this discount may also be applied to this new service, which isn't ideal. I guess I'll eventually find out.

@flipistics 

@msau4301 

You can set a discount but it would apply the same discount to any services offered. The discounts vary per service. I routinely offer multiple services so the customer can decide what works best for them.

-Lotz

Message 58 of 181
latest reply

I use flat rate shipping for all stuff, so I'm just going with $9 for now for this service on the listings I usually have registered letter set up on. See if I get any sales and will report back if I have any issues with it!

It costs more to send a package to my own postal code (Ottawa to Ottawa) with this service then to BC becasue of HST vs GST lol. Its about 20 cents difference. To Newfoundland it was showing on my test that its $8.36 from Ottawa but they have 15%HST so thats likely a variable factor in why its about 45 cents more and the distance.

Message 59 of 181
latest reply

I was thinking of trying the same thing with flat rate shipping for the small/lighter items I have that qualify size wise and I think $9 sounds like a good starting point. 

I usually use calculated but may try a few new listings with the flat rate and choose the service I saw already in Shipping policies when I set them up. I'm taking next week off so will wait until I return.

Look forward to seeing any reports back. Am curious if the label looks the same as Expedited Parcel or does it actually say Expedited Lite.

Message 60 of 181
latest reply