Expedited Lite for Canadian Sellers using eBay Labels

This just showed up hot off the presses.

https://www.ebay.ca/sellercentre/shipping/ebay-labels/canada-post-expedited-lite?mkevt=1&mkpid=2&ems...

Only available on eBay Labels: Ship small. Save big.

Package specifications

Ship with an envelope or a small parcel that meets the following criteria:

• Weighs no more than 200 grams

• No one dimension exceeds 41 cm (16.1”)

• Maximum volume (L x W x H) of up to 3,220 cubic centimeters

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1683133474900.png

YAYYYYYY!!!!!

-Lotz

Message 1 of 181
latest reply
180 REPLIES 180

Re: Expedited Lite for Canadian Sellers using eBay Labels

For anyone who hadn't spotted the update announcement

Is this service subject to cubing charges?

As long as the actual package dimensions are within the specifications outlined, cubing charges do not apply. Full FAQ below.

Ship with an envelope or a small parcel that meets the following criteria:

• Weighs no more than 200 grams

• No one dimension exceeds 41 cm (16.1”)

• Maximum volume (L x W x H) of up to 3,220 cubic centimeters

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/FAQ-s-for-Canada-Post-Expedited-Lite-for-Collectibles/m-...

Message 121 of 181
latest reply

Nearly  2000 views in just a few days... OMG

Certainly a feeding frenzy with respect to  CPEL. 

Let us all know how it's going so far...

Are you getting rich from those 140 gram widgets ?

Message 122 of 181
latest reply

Nearly 2000 comments...

Absolutely no one, not you, not you, and not you are  concerned  about this except for cheap shipping.

If you sell a stamp... even the postal stamp sellers are "crickets" on this.  Is this OK?

I can't believe you stamp and coin folk have nothing to say about the rest of Canadian sellers being excluded from Canada Post "Expedited Lite" because ebay "partnered" with Canada Post. why do you sell stamps or did you forget?

... I restored  BCs 1st postmaster's house in New Westminster on 6th Ave from a brothel. Myself. I may not know the stamp business but I have an idea about the Canadian connection. 

All for one.

So you care if Canada Post "partners" (can someone please tell me what that even means?) with eBay ?

Do you care Canada Post will not offer Expedited Lite prices to churches, charities, immigrants and children sending Mother's Day gifts across our country? 

Exclusive service isn't something Canada Post represents.  

Happy Mother's Day. 

Message 123 of 181
latest reply

Hi,  @lotzofuniquegoodies and Happy Sellers!

I'm Giving In    ;>     Sales have been very slow. It's going around.   Expedited Lite, along with the Ebay Academy, has been implemented to attract new sellers and increase eBay and Canada Post's revenues.  EBay is targetting the sales of stamps, coins, comics, and trading cards etc .  There's nothing wrong with that.  I don't agree with the limitations but it doesn't matter. We won't see the program changed, at least not in the short term and none of us are getting any younger...

I'd like to qualify for Top Seller status.   That's never been possible because domestic Expedited  is too expensive compared to TP USA.  That being said I'd like to sell something. I'm a senior.  I need dental work. My expertise and joy is in the field of music. Folks complement my store all the time but I'd like to sell more. Did I mention the dental work?

I can't wait around for Canada Post to raise the threshold to publication & media weights. I can't wait for eBay to open up categories. After a night of problem solving I'm jumping on the eBay band wagon and listing coins, stamps, and comics.  Maybe some bakelite too as I bought some Semichrome polish. Maybe Expedited Lite can be a blessing after all.

I always say, "If you can't beat 'em (drums)... coin 'em."  That's my stamp and I'm stickin' to it! 

See you in the trenches

ITWCSC&B

Message 124 of 181
latest reply

@vintagenorth wrote:

I was just at my local little post office and mailing a parcel and the postmistress mentioned Lite Expedited was coming soon and asked me if I had heard of it. She said it is a Canada Post feature not just for eBay sellers. The post office must have had a bulletin about it already.

This surprises me - I've been working at the post office all week and still haven't seen any announcement of this by any of Canada Post's communication channels to post offices. I thought for sure they would at least send out a memo to let staff know of it's existence to potentially answer any questions that might arise from eBay sellers making inquiries at the post office.

You say it's a 'local little post office' which means it's a corporate post office, so the only explanation here is that the corporate post offices got a heads up but the Authorized Dealer offices didn't, which is strange. I have no further explanation for this or any way to confirm the validity of the statements made by your postmistress.

Message 125 of 181
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

This new service is a reworking of something Canada Post was testing back in 2017.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Proof-of-Concept-New-Lightweight-Parcel-Product/td-p/379...

ebay is probably acting as test bed for the new service.

I decided to become a beta tester with a sale yesterday. It's a movie that can be collected, but is not in an ebay "collectible" category, but since the shipping choice showed, I figured why not.

I agree with you; I was going to make a similar comment, but I'll just piggyback off of yours.

Thanks for linking to that post of mine from six (!) years ago - jeez, I can't believe how fast time flies. For what it's worth, that announcement in 2017 was the last time Canada Post ever communicated the existence of a low-cost domestic service with post offices (Authorized Dealer post offices, anyway).

But that means that they've been working and tweaking this lower-cost service for a long time. I also suspect that this is a test for an eventual national roll-out of a low-cost light-weight domestic service. Canada Post will probably keep tabs on usage and how much money they're making/losing, and then use those numbers to calculate final rates when it's eventually made available at retail. Testing things like this is nothing new for Canada Post - remember that they tested the flat rate boxes for years in select post offices before rolling them out nationally.

To anyone saying something along the lines of "it's not fair this service is only available to eBay sellers and not all Canadians": give me a break. Canada Post and eBay are both for-profit businesses. This is a business decision that benefits both companies. There are many Canadian companies that have volume discount agreements with Canada Post that far exceed anything any of us will ever see; just because Amazon pays pennies on the dollar for postage costs doesn't mean the mom & pop shop should be eligible for these discounts as well.

Message 126 of 181
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:

"To anyone saying something along the lines of "it's not fair this service is only available to eBay sellers and not all Canadians": give me a break. Canada Post and eBay are both for-profit businesses. This is a business decision that benefits both companies. "

Thank you for your view. Although unspecified you may be referring to my previous post. Your comments seem to reflect the same speculations as the rest of us. I was hoping someone connected to Canada Post would add facts. Are you with CP?  I checked their site and nothing. so far no comments outside of this on the Canadian side of the internet. The topic seems to be swelling in the USA more so than Canada. None of us here sem to truly know why all other businesses, organizations and Canadians are excluded. 

Canada Post is "for profit'. That's a fact.  It's  also a crown corporation. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I think that means tax payers will be on the hook if it CP loses money.  If this is a "viability test" as myself, others and yourself suggest it strikes me as unusual a company in the business of postal services for 155 years would not be able to predict viability ahead of time. With that much  postal experience testing on 65,000 workers and one business (eBay) should be unnecessary in today's financial climate using today's technologies. What exactly is Canada Post testing?

"This is a business decision that benefits both companies". If the decision is profitable that will be come a fact. Until then your comment is not fact but  like the rest of us.  While this alleged "test" is carried out Expedited Lite is going to be a crippling disaster for many other businesses including third party label services like Shippo (another one of eBay's partners) and many other businesses with employees that rely on Canada Post.

This is possibly a brief moment for eBay sellers to enjoy the service without external competition from other platform sellers. My attitude and advice to all eBay sellers is to make hay while the sun shines. Pack those packages with care as 200 grams doesn't account for much. Last night I listed Batman #256 which is a 100 page square bound edition. Using an eBay 9 x12 polymailer, 1 backing board, 1 comic sleeve, 1 thin cardboard stiffener (not really enough) and no packing slip =200 grams. shipping from Kelowna to toronto =$8.00. 1 more gram = $23.00. Use a good scale and pack carefully. 

Finally, if you're in the business of selling these items, as reinforced by @dinomitesales the idea is to increase revenue from FV fees) that's where the eBay Academy comes into play. Lots of competition on the horizon is coming in these categories. so best to make hay while the sun shines. My dad, who was a very successful business man used to say, "Don't ask for something unless you know you really need it. You just might get it".

Message 127 of 181
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:

@vintagenorth wrote:

I was just at my local little post office and mailing a parcel and the postmistress mentioned Lite Expedited was coming soon and asked me if I had heard of it. She said it is a Canada Post feature not just for eBay sellers. The post office must have had a bulletin about it already.

This surprises me - I've been working at the post office all week and still haven't seen any announcement of this by any of Canada Post's communication channels to post offices. I thought for sure they would at least send out a memo to let staff know of it's existence to potentially answer any questions that might arise from eBay sellers making inquiries at the post office.

You say it's a 'local little post office' which means it's a corporate post office, so the only explanation here is that the corporate post offices got a heads up but the Authorized Dealer offices didn't, which is strange. I have no further explanation for this or any way to confirm the validity of the statements made by your postmistress.

The manager of our neighourhood  RPO had not yet heard of Expedited Lite when I asked May 11th. 

When I mentioned the eBay offering she said it may be a limited rollout to assess viability and address process bugs before a broader rollout.  She said she has seen several (initially) limited rollouts of new services over the years, some of which went on to Canada-wide rollout and some of which died.

She also mentioned a smaller version of the Flat Rate Box is currently being trialled and may eventually be rolled out nationally.

Message 128 of 181
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:

I was hoping someone connected to Canada Post would add facts. Are you with CP? I checked their site and nothing. so far no comments outside of this on the Canadian side of the internet. The topic seems to be swelling in the USA more so than Canada. None of us here sem to truly know why all other businesses, organizations and Canadians are excluded.

While not employed by CPC I have worked at an authorized dealer post office for nearly a decade now where we get all the direct communications/announcements from Canada Post. You are correct that there has been no mention of this 'Expedited Lite' service anywhere but on eBay, nothing has been communicated to post offices (yet, anyway). I don't know what the 'topic' is that would be 'swelling' in the USA with regards to Canada Post, but it's fairly clear why others are excluded (at the moment anyway): this was an agreement between Canada Post and eBay Canada. If other businesses, organizations, and Canadians would like to have immediate access to a similar service then I'm sure they're welcome to negotiate terms with Canada Post as well, however I doubt their volume (or lack thereof, rather) would get them very far.

Canada Post is "for profit'. That's a fact.  It's  also a crown corporation. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I think that means tax payers will be on the hook if it CP loses money.  If this is a "viability test" as myself, others and yourself suggest it strikes me as unusual a company in the business of postal services for 155 years would not be able to predict viability ahead of time. With that much  postal experience testing on 65,000 workers and one business (eBay) should be unnecessary in today's financial climate using today's technologies. What exactly is Canada Post testing?

Taxpayers aren't going to be on the hook for anything, unless something absolutely catastrophic happens to Canada Post. They've lost money before and have operated at a deficit in the past. I don't follow you're logic that just because a company has been around for over a century doesn't mean they have to test new products/services. As I said in my previous post, by allowing a finite number of users access to this service they are introducing a limited number of 'Expedited Lite' parcels into the mail stream from all points in Canada. After a while they can run the numbers to see if they're losing money on these parcels, and if so, how much they need to increase the rate to make it viable, while also scaling it up. Or maybe they'll realize that the prices were more than enough, and can then either decrease the rates (or increase the weight threshold) to make the service even more attractive. This is just standard business practice.

"This is a business decision that benefits both companies". If the decision is profitable that will be come a fact. Until then your comment is not fact but  like the rest of us.  While this alleged "test" is carried out Expedited Lite is going to be a crippling disaster for many other businesses including third party label services like Shippo (another one of eBay's partners) and many other businesses with employees that rely on Canada Post.

Even if it's not immediately profitable it benefits Canada Post because it's giving them important data that can help them properly price the service to make it a viable option for a national rollout (if that is their eventual intention); it benefits eBay by allowing their sellers to offer a more cost-effective shipping option, potentially leading to increased sales and revenue for the company. Companies like Shippo are more than welcome to approach Canada Post for a similar deal or access to 'Expedited Lite' service themselves. The Canadian market is just a small portion of Shippo's business so I doubt they even really cared, but maybe now that eBay is taking some of their business away they might look into it. Who knows.

This is possibly a brief moment for eBay sellers to enjoy the service without external competition from other platform sellers. My attitude and advice to all eBay sellers is to make hay while the sun shines. Pack those packages with care as 200 grams doesn't account for much. Last night I listed Batman #256 which is a 100 page square bound edition. Using an eBay 9 x12 polymailer, 1 backing board, 1 comic sleeve, 1 thin cardboard stiffener (not really enough) and no packing slip =200 grams. shipping from Kelowna to toronto =$8.00. 1 more gram = $23.00. Use a good scale and pack carefully. 

As you've indicated, this service isn't going to beneficial for everyone. They could increase the threshold to 300 g and people would still complain it wasn't enough. If it doesn't work for the things you sold, then oh well, business as usual. If your sales were viable before 'Expedited Lite' then they will still be viable - nothing else has changed. Personally, I am unlikely to use the service much myself as untracked Lettermail is still cheaper and has served me well thus far, but it's nice to have the option if I have something a bit more valuable.

Message 129 of 181
latest reply

Hello folks! Happy Mother's Day. I promise not to post anything else about this after responding to the kind dinomitesales.  @lotzofuniquegoodies  post has garnered 2065 views in a week so thank you to you Lotz as well for  your topic.

Hi @dinomitesales 

Thank you for addressing me directly this time around and thank you for a pleasant debate. With your previous dealer employee experience you're only one with insider's knowledge. Your input is greatly appreciated! In less than 1 week Lotz's  post has topped 2064 views and is likely a record setting topic.  That said it's interesting how few comments are being posted.  2064 views and only 129 comments.  I think it's because this impacts us all differently. 

If stamps, coins, trading cards and comics were my niche I'd be concerned. Let's look at comics. Because of this I listed my first comic yesterday for $24.97. Two more today for $17.97 and $624.97.  Frankly I'd rather stick with music (no pun intended) but I need some teeth.  I'm not suggesting listing coins, stamps, comics and trading cards is easy. I respect all of our eBay veterans which is why I've done my research. These items require knowledge to list on eBay. As someone whose been in the music business and a music teacher since 1969 I can attest that there are a lot, a lot! of very fast learners out there.  For example today within minutes I rec'd an offer of $475.00 for a Fantastic Four comic that's been in my closet for 50 years. I declined. The offer was one tooth short...

The Debate ( For Newcomers this is "windy". I'll try to caption things . If you don't want to read the retoric just read the captions..)

"If other businesses, organizations, and Canadians would like to have immediate access to a similar service then I'm sure they're welcome to negotiate terms with Canada Post as well, however I doubt their volume (or lack thereof, rather) would get them very far."

Response: In your previous post to his one you stated Canada Post has offered eBay a "volume discount" as they do with lots of other companies.  I cannot agree that this is an isolated "normal volume discount" and here is why.

As a retired retail store owner my experience with volume discounts is extensive. To recieve one you need to purchase a large volume of a product that already exists. Expedited Lite is brand new & between eBay & CPC. It did not exist when this partnership started.  Canada Post could not have offered a "volume discount" If something doesn't exist there can be no discount. No other company would have had the chance to participate. So that would make it make it a monopoly. That siad Canada Post could have offered eBay an "Introductory Discount". They would then have to offer that to all businesses to avoid a conflict of interest.

"they are introducing a limited number of 'Expedited Lite' parcels into the mail stream from all points in Canada. After a while they can run the numbers to see if they're losing money on these parcels, and if so, how much they need to increase the rate to make it viable, while also scaling it up. Or maybe they'll realize that the prices were more than enough, and can then either decrease the rates (or increase the weight threshold) to make the service even more attractive. This is just standard business practice."

Response: I addressed this before.  Canada Post has run parcels across Canada for 155 years. They have a track record with Regular Parcel, Expedited Lite, and many other services including owning Purolator. Using today's technology and the countries brightest minds they shouldn't need *viability tests at this point in the game.  If they wanted a trial run they could have used a government agency to avoid a conflict of interest.

"Companies like Shippo are more than welcome to approach Canada Post for a similar deal or access to 'Expedited Lite' service themselves. The Canadian market is just a small portion of Shippo's business so I doubt they even really cared, but maybe now that eBay is taking some of their business away they might look into it. Who knows."

Response: Thank you for bringing up Shippo. Some may think they don't count as they are not Canadian. There are also the side industries like Shipsurance being left behind. also Americans.  I'll get to that.  On the domestic side you omitted Fedex, UPS, and CanPar who all will have to compete with cross Canada $8 tracked shipping.  There's the good folks down at the UPS store who would feel the pinch. Forget Purolator CPC owns them. This is not just about labels. There are all the small businesses that rely on Expedited Parcel and Standard Parcel to make a living. How will they compete with Expedited Lite "Only Available On Ebay"?

"Personally, I am unlikely to use the service much myself as untracked Lettermail is still cheaper"

Response: Thank you. You just hit the nail on the head.  My May 9 post was

"Basically "Expedited Light" is designed purely to get people who use lettermail to stop using lettermail."

and that is why we are here today. The math is simple;

eBay Final Value fees on Lettermail = 0%
"      "      "       "                  Expedited Lite = approx 12.5%

Some fees will be lost when sellers shift to Ex Lt. Marginal. Only on domestic shipments under 200 grams.

This is not about field testing a new mail service. This is about getting merchandise out of lettermail for profit.  As you said, "no one is talking". It's a bed time story. A dream. There are no facts.

However this IS a HUGE opportunity for sellers to take advantage of the situation. List as many items as you can that qualify! This is a great shipping deal! Canada Post wants you to list. eBay wants you to list.

Oh, hello? sorry folks I have to take this call....

Hello? Hello? who's calling please? On no, it's other platforms, couriers and related businesses. Some are domestic and some international all calling Canada Post up for a "volume discount"! 

I hope I'm wrong. Hello?... What? ...I'm not picking up.   I need dental work. I need this opportunity.

I'm not picking up... Go away! Wait... I can hear their typewriters clacking away... 

Best to ignore them as long as I can! List, list, list!. List more comics, stamps, coins and trading cards.. This is too good to be true! Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!    Make hay while the sun shines. How many more old man slogans can this guy come up with? LOL...

To be clear I like eBay. I don't make any money but I like that it keeps me connected to the global music industry.  eBay  goes a long way to help us seniors weed through the rigors of getting old. eBay helps young people navigate the high cost of education. eBay helps single mom's and single dad's put food on family's tables. Canada needs this service. I support Expedited Lite, Canada Post and eBay. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt with respect.  I don't think this monopoly was intentional. I just don't think they thought this completely through. I don't want this to go away but typewriters are clacking so take advantage of it because there is actually one fact. 

One bonified FACT that could turn this gift into a bad dream...

*Canada's economy is not created domestically. We rely on foreign business to survive. There is something called the "Competition Act". I know nothing about it except what I hear on the news.  Canadians are spending millions of tax dollars in court unravelling attempted mergers like Shaw, Rogers, Bell,Telus, Air Canada and on and on. You can decide for yourself if it has relevance.  Thank you @dinomitesales  for this chat with an old f**t. I have comics to list...

1. This Act may be cited as the Competition Act.

R.S., 1985, c. C-34, s. 1R.S., 1985, c. 19 (2nd Supp.), s. 19
PART I
Purpose and Interpretation
Purpose
Marginal note:Purpose of Act

1.1 The purpose of this Act is to maintain and encourage competition in Canada in order to promote the efficiency and adaptability of the Canadian economy, in order to expand opportunities for Canadian participation in world markets while at the same time recognizing the role of foreign competition in Canada, in order to ensure that small and medium-sized enterprises have an equitable opportunity to participate in the Canadian economy and in order to provide consumers with competitive prices and product choices.

R.S., 1985, c. 19 (2nd Supp.), s. 19

Message 130 of 181
latest reply

Received  a ebay gmail message today regarding eBay Lite and adding to my selling policies. It's more of picking and choosing when it is the best option to use vs a policy. I realize rates will vary based on ship to location but to show the examples without fuel and tax does downplay the actual cost to use this service.  Adding 15% as an example plus a floating fuel surcharge is definitely not chicken feed.

-Lotz

• Toronto to Toronto $4.96

• Toronto to Montreal $5.58

• Toronto to Halifax $5.69

• Toronto to Vancouver $5.81

• Toronto to Yellowknife $5.85

*These are base rates. Fuel surcharges and taxes may apply.

You can also now change your business policies to offer Expedited Lite for Collectibles as a service through eBay calculated shipping.

Message 131 of 181
latest reply

I used my "lite" for the first time today. The price difference was massive (10 vs 22 dollars with Shippo / 20 with ChitChats!). 

What I did not like, the dimensions on the label are wrong (5 x 5 x 5 cm), while I put (verified many times) 39 x 9 x 9 / 195 g. Anyone encountered the same problem? I will post the item today - I wonder if it will pass .....

Image1.jpg

Message 132 of 181
latest reply

@38e_avenue wrote:

I used my "lite" for the first time today. The price difference was massive (10 vs 22 dollars with Shippo / 20 with ChitChats!). 

What I did not like, the dimensions on the label are wrong (5 x 5 x 5 cm), while I put (verified many times) 39 x 9 x 9 / 195 g. Anyone encountered the same problem? I will post the item today - I wonder if it will pass .....

Image1.jpg

@38e_avenue 

See post 59. For some reason there seems to be a default measurement built into the system. I got the same 5 x 5 x 5 when I processed my first Expedited shipment. Charge was processed in 3 days and was delivered in routine Expedited time.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Expedited-Lite-for-Canadian-Sellers-using-eBay-Labels/td...

-Lotz

-Lotz

Message 133 of 181
latest reply

Yeah, they all do that for some reason. Nothing to worry about.

Also, wow! You really just barely squeezed whatever that was under all the limits. Just a hair under the length, cubic volume, and weight.

Message 134 of 181
latest reply

Has anyone been able to print an Expedited Lite label directly on a 4X6" Avery Label?

When I tried to print my first Expedited Lite label May 19th it seemed to be formatted to print horizontally on an 8.5X11" sheet of paper.  Only part of the label printed when I did a test print to a 4X6" card.

My workaround -- a screenshot modified with photo editing software -- printed perfectly on a 4X6" Avery label.  However that's a PITA -- even for the few times I'm likely to use Expedited Lite vs. oversized lettermail.

Appreciate any advice.

Message 135 of 181
latest reply

There's an option on the screen to choose your output format. Change it from 8.5x11 to 4x6.

Message 136 of 181
latest reply

Thanks @flipistics .  Did not notice that option when printing the label -- will look for it next time.

Message 137 of 181
latest reply

Used it today for the first time for a patch - it was very easy but I did make a stupid mistake. When I was looking at the rates I forgot that it would be the before tax and gas surcharge amount so I put a flat rate of what the most expensive shipping location should have been at $6. Of course it ended up going to the most expensive location BC and cost almost $9 - so after the extra shipping and fees I would have been better off going with untracked mail but I figured this was a good experiment anyhow 🙂

Message 138 of 181
latest reply

@daisydaisy999 wrote:

Used it today for the first time for a patch - it was very easy but I did make a stupid mistake. When I was looking at the rates I forgot that it would be the before tax and gas surcharge amount so I put a flat rate of what the most expensive shipping location should have been at $6. Of course it ended up going to the most expensive location BC and cost almost $9 - so after the extra shipping and fees I would have been better off going with untracked mail but I figured this was a good experiment anyhow 🙂

Also keep in mind if you have a set shipping discount in your settings, it applies to both regular packages and expedited lite. You could off-set that by adding a handling charge for expedited lite if you wanted to, or simply mark the item up slightly and stick with the cheaper shipping.

We really, really need the option of showing the level 4 discounted amounts to buyers.

Message 139 of 181
latest reply

What about returns? Actually the shipping service is only available on eBay. Does it means that we can ship for $6-8, but a return label of the same distance for the same package would still have to be expedited and cost $16-24? Lack of logic here. It doesnt cost them more to deliver back. 

Message 140 of 181
latest reply