FYI for anyone shipping Internationally when VAT has been applied

I recently had an order going to England. In confirming the address via google (it's become a habit) I discovered a portion of the address was missing. It is being removed by the VAT paid line eBay adds. I confirmed with buyer and they too confirmed that part of the address IS required to make sure delivery goes off without a hitch. I have had instances where an address ends abruptly due to the number of characters ebay allows. When in doubt best to confirm with buyer prior to printing. The VAT info should be in VISIBLE notes vs a part of the address.

-Lotz

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: FYI for anyone shipping Internationally when VAT has been applied

A timely reminder @lotzofuniquegoodies ...even with over-the-counter International shipping.

Recently, I had my first sale to the UK in several months, and while prepping the Customs form I did not add the IOSS VAT Paid number, as someone advised awhile back. But I also forgot to write it anywhere on the package, which I assume means the already paid VAT will be requested from the Buyer again at pick-up.

Although I did send that IOSS info to the Buyer post-sale, who knows how that will be accepted by the BPO at pick-up...???

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@doc_scribe wrote:

A timely reminder @lotzofuniquegoodies ...even with over-the-counter International shipping.

Recently, I had my first sale to the UK in several months, and while prepping the Customs form I did not add the IOSS VAT Paid number, as someone advised awhile back. But I also forgot to write it anywhere on the package, which I assume means the already paid VAT will be requested from the Buyer again at pick-up.

Although I did send that IOSS info to the Buyer post-sale, who knows how that will be accepted by the BPO at pick-up...???

@doc_scribe 

With Shippo you could at your discretion choose to add the detailed customs form as official verification that taxes had been paid.  Unsure how customs would ever know how that it was paid in advance  except for packing slip that references  the amount. (A = B, B = A) . It is reported from time to time that buyers are getting dinged on delivery. Then up to the customer to try "convince" customs  that they did indeed pay in advance. Having it as part of the address is not very professional and maybe not even fully legal from a customs perspective. In some way the amount paid in advance should be tied to the order DIRECTLY number. With eBay Labels we (sellers) are unable to know even if any info we add in notes is actually being seen by customs because it does not print to the label to confirm. That's the only way I can think of doing it and how I have been since eBay Labels became the go to because of rates. Definitely not a perfect solution. But all we have for now.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thanks for the heads up @lotzofuniquegoodies 

Just printed one.  Customer's addy was 5 lines. eBay label added a 6th for the Vat #. No issues here.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply