FedEx CHARGES $240 EXTRA for a $25 Label printed on eBay A MONTH LATER TO QUEBEC!

Sold an item on eBay & shipped using Print Label in seller portal with FedEx. Its delivered and buyer is happy.

Month later eBay charges me EXTRA $240 FEDEX CHARGE for shipping label fees.

GTA to Quebec City

Label: 2 KG -- 25.00 x 30.00 x 15.00 cm

Actual Weight: 1.3 Kg -- 17.78 x 25.40 x 12.70 cm

Actual size is LESS than printed label and they dinged $240 ONTOP for no reason.

eBay just gives me the runaround. Any experienced seller seen something like this before?

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

FedEx CHARGES $240 EXTRA for a $25 Label printed on eBay A MONTH LATER TO QUEBEC!

Extra charges with Fedex seem pretty common. Contact eBay through eBay for Business on Facebook. You'll get actual reps there with the power to do something about it.  Also, DON'T USE FEDEX.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

@fineeclecticthings wrote:

Sold an item on eBay & shipped using Print Label in seller portal with FedEx. Its delivered and buyer is happy.

Month later eBay charges me EXTRA $240 FEDEX CHARGE for shipping label fees.

GTA to Quebec City

Label: 2 KG -- 25.00 x 30.00 x 15.00 cm

Actual Weight: 1.3 Kg -- 17.78 x 25.40 x 12.70 cm

Actual size is LESS than printed label and they dinged $240 ONTOP for no reason.

eBay just gives me the runaround. Any experienced seller seen something like this before?

@fineeclecticthings 

What service displayed on the label when it was printed? There should have been 2 options(choices - see attached) available. Ground and Economy? Always important to round up the measurements vs fractions. Also to confirm you checked metric vs imperial. Those errors can cause conflicts for final billing. It is important to keep copies of bills for your records. You should be able to contact Fedex directly to validate your info.

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1706305927832.png

-Lotz

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Shipped as FedEx Ground directly from eBay Print Label.

I paid for 2kg, FedEx shows it actually LIGHTER at 1.3Kg which means they profited in the first place. Randomly charging a $25 label into another $240 is total nonsense. Avoiding FedEx at all costs.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I wonder if it has anything to do with the specs used for the original label not meeting FedEx’ dimensional weight criteria?

https://www.fedex.com/en-ca/resources-tools/dimensional-weight.html

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

I wonder if it has anything to do with the specs used for the original label not meeting FedEx’ dimensional weight criteria?

https://www.fedex.com/en-ca/resources-tools/dimensional-weight.html

@marnotom! 

Very possibly!! When the numbers are fed in if the parcel dims out higher it the system should bill through right at the time based on that data. That goes for both calculators and labels. The only time CP will send you a revised charge (to your Visa on file) is if you oops and enter bad data. Rounding up can happen but that would be minimal in up charges. As per the original help page and when it was advertised surcharges like home delivery were negotiated as waived. That still happens from randomly. Charges after the fact. Long story short if a revised charge to a shipment is applicable it NEEDS to be properly documented. 

As a side it's not super helpful when you enter in actual measurements (Expedited Lite) and system over rides to 5x5x5 or gives you a an error message that cubing is in play when it shouldn't be.. Also that the eBay sellers calculator omitted a zip code field for US shipping.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Shipped as FedEx Ground directly from eBay Print Label.

I paid for 2kg, FedEx shows it actually LIGHTER at 1.3Kg which means they profited in the first place. Randomly charging a $25 label into another $240 is total nonsense. Avoiding FedEx at all costs.

@fineeclecticthings 

@marnotom! 

When online/software generated labels rolled out years ago (and dim weight was applicable), the label printed out actual weight and dim weight. The system showed the shipper the charges as they applied. In those days a business got their billing copy back to them. Either as was or revised with the notation of audited as noted. Unfortunately when eBay started offering eBay labels those concerns were never taken into consideration to handle them properly & accurately. This is most likely what is causing any "discrepancies".

-Lotz

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Yes, eBay should be made to cover this error and let them fight it out with FedEx.

I have never used FedEx and this is another glorious reason why I never will, ever...

Nor UPS who are no better.

The stories of "Unexpected Charges" made by these two companies are astounding.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:

Yes, eBay should be made to cover this error and let them fight it out with FedEx.

I have never used FedEx and this is another glorious reason why I never will, ever...

Nor UPS who are no better.

The stories of "Unexpected Charges" made by these two companies are astounding.

I've sent a few out with UPS and haven't had any issues (so far). In fact, I was charged less on one of them than what I was quoted.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

It must be an error. Such a crazy charge is simply not possible with such destination / weight / dimensions. Contact the CS asap. 

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

No they simply won't help. Getting a runaround when asked.

This is what eBay CS says:

We do acknowledge where you are coming from, please do note that the charge is from FedEx  and asked eBay to get the overcharge from the sellers.

Since FedEx is a seller on ebay as well using our online platform to sell their shipping labels.  If you want to dispute for this charged, might want to contact Fedex.

This is what FedEx says:
We have no control or access to charges placed on your eBay account, please contact their customer service department.

If thats not the definition of a runaround then I don't know what is.
Message 11 of 25
latest reply

No they simply won't help. Getting a runaround when asked.

This is what eBay CS says:

We do acknowledge where you are coming from, please do note that the charge is from FedEx  and asked eBay to get the overcharge from the sellers.

Since FedEx is a seller on ebay as well using our online platform to sell their shipping labels.  If you want to dispute for this charged, might want to contact Fedex.

This is what FedEx says:
We have no control or access to charges placed on your eBay account, please contact their customer service department.

If thats not the definition of a runaround then I don't know what is.

@fineeclecticthings 

Re: Runaround

See post 23. Interesting form of advertising/support/defence for an eBay suggested service???!!!

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Do-not-use-Fedex/m-p/503209#M150524

-Lotz

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Sounds like a Monty Python joke ......  😠

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

@38e_avenue wrote:

Sounds like a Monty Python joke ......  😠

Or that scene from a A Few Good Men...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvypKtPhRU0

-Lotz

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

chicweb
Community Member

I have fedex on some of my business policies. I will remove them ASAP. I would suggest others to do as well...

Since the eBay shipping label doesn't seem to be reliable... We are using it to buy the shipping labels specifying the data (dimensions, weights, addesses, etc). If there's a problems with the APIs (From ebay's side or FedEx's side).... the customers (us) shouldn't have to pay for this.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply

@chicweb wrote:

I have fedex on some of my business policies. I will remove them ASAP. I would suggest others to do as well...

Since the eBay shipping label doesn't seem to be reliable... We are using it to buy the shipping labels specifying the data (dimensions, weights, addesses, etc). If there's a problems with the APIs (From ebay's side or FedEx's side).... the customers (us) shouldn't have to pay for this.

I don't think it's an API problem. I suspect it's a FedEx problem. I think what's happening is FedEx is billing retail rates rather than the negotiated rates if any recalculation occurs and then passing that on to eBay.  Since there doesn't (seem) to be the same issues with UPS or Canada Post, I doubt it's related to the API.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

This is the price I get (as Fedex guest) with the destination / dimensions / weight you provided:

Image2.jpg

However, the price is skyrocketing if you increase the weight and might easily go far above 500 dol! 

Possibly someone at Fedex made a typing error and put the wrong weight while checking your parcel.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

25 bucks is reasonable and exactly what it should be for FedEx Ground

Charging $240 is hoping volume sellers don't pay attention & miss it. Seems like a new tactic to see if they can get away with it and no recourse!

eBay CS

1.png

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

This a typical from pillar to post situation, but anything has happened, you have right to know, what was the charge for. I was also charged once for unknown reason, but for 4 dollars only, so I passed on it. Definitely, I would not pass on 240 dollars charge. It's outrageous and needs to be explained. 

If such a charge occured, there must be reason clearly stated in the charge's documentation. You have right to demand a clarification. Personally, I would focus on Fedex CS and contact them in first place. 240 dollars is not a minor mistake, it's a theft! 

I keep my fingers crossed! 

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

Huh, maybe it actually IS an API issue. If you change the measurements to inches instead of cm you get pretty close. With peak demand charges and a difference in fuel surcharges, it might come out to almost what was billed (counter rates that is).

Maybe ask Fedex what dimensions and weight they recorded.

Message 20 of 25
latest reply