Fees much higher than expected for .ca account selling in US$

Ebay just switched my .ca account (that sells mostly in US$) into managed payments.

I was surprized how much less was deposited into my Canadian bank account than I expected.

I just did the math, and the fee ebay is taking is a little over 17% (not including the exchange rate).

Thats a lot more than I was expecting.

The main difference is coming from the fact that Ebay is charging their 12.3% ish fee on the US tax they are collecting.

Thats tax money that has nothing to do with me.     Yet ebay has the gall to charge me 12.3% on that tax.

Since the US states vary from state to state on thier sales tax (some have none), the amount I net from ebay for the sale of a given item, will vary depending on which state I sell it in

For example, if I sell an item to a buyer to a state that doesn't collect sales tax, vs one that pays 10% sales tax, then I will get about 1.23% more if the item sells in the no sales tax state!     How is that fair.

Hopefully this will result in a massive class action law suit against ebay down the road.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Thats tax money that has nothing to do with me. Yet ebay has the gall to charge me 12.3% on that tax.

Yeah.

PP was doing the same, although their rate was 2.9%.

This is however Standard Practice in retail.

If you have a B&M shop and take credit cards, your merchant fee will include all money that you take in, whether it is for product, services, local sales taxes, or commissions.

The only fairness is that every other seller is paying the same rate on taxes collected and remitted by eBay. Which is not saying much at all.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Exactly I have noticed the fees have gone up considerably Reaching the point after almost 20 years on eBay of retiring from selling anymore in here On an item that I received 150 Canadian dollars including shipping they took almost 24 dollars in fees Yeah time to look elsewhere to sell
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I guess you have forgotten how much we paid in fees in 2001.

Just for example, not only are Stores in Search in 2021, which they were not at the turn of the millennium, but we get 250 Free Listings even without a Store.

And while there are fees to use payment processors, we are not losing our products to phoney MO scams or rubber checks.

As a rule of thumb, I consider all my fees to be about 20% of any payment. I do work on a monthly basis for that.

And $24 on $150 is about 15%, so well within my comfort zone.

Remember that with MP, ALL your fees go to eBay and are not confusingly split between a monthly fee to eBay and a transaction-based fee to PP.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Exactly I have noticed the fees have gone up considerably Reaching the point after almost 20 years on eBay of retiring from selling anymore in here On an item that I received 150 Canadian dollars including shipping they took almost 24 dollars in fees Yeah time to look elsewhere to sell

Lots of things have gone up considerably in the past twenty years.  In this week's flyer for my neighbourhood grocery store, pickles on special for $3.50 a jar.  Twenty years ago, they would have been on special for $2.00 a jar.  That's a 75% increase.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:
... On an item that I received 150 Canadian dollars including shipping they took almost 24 dollars in fees Yeah time to look elsewhere to sell

on amazon.ca your $150 sale would have $25 in fees

Message 6 of 6
latest reply