For anyone interested in eBay Statistics.

I have not checked for accuracy. But interesting to say the least.

https://expandedramblings.com/index.php/ebay-stats/

-CM

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

The problem with statistics is they can be misused, miscalculated, misunderstood, or misinterpreted.

I liken this to what I do almost everyday in my quest to understand what makes things sell. Years ago I gave up the hope that I would ever truly understand what causes sales surges and lack thereof because there are simply far too many variables.

Here, assumptions have been made that it is the gender of the seller that makes a difference, when there is a gender (ie not a company etc).  These statistics are across all categories. We all know how inaccurate it is to assume things that work in my stamps world will also work in the DVD world for example.

Femme had a good point about different responses to the different id's but is it because of gender, or is it because people associate differently with the ebay id names that have been chosen or even perhaps the icons one is associating with their id! (Femme as a note I'm not poking at either but it is entirely possible the difference is due to that as it is to gender). There can be many things that affect how a buyer sees a seller.

I can imagine that a seller with an ebay id picture of a person bicycling may not sell as well in a car racing category as a person with an ebay id picture of a race car, for example. (this is why I chose my picture of an aerial shot of a box full of stamps because it exemplifies the nature of a lot of what I sell)

I think momc's question/suggestion that ebay provide opportunities/workshops for sellers to better understand things they can do to improve their success is good if these statistics are sound in one's category, just as ebay does for things like the value of returns, good pictures, good item descriptions etc. 

Personally I doubt the general stats can be held to hold much value for any given category for the reasons above, but they do raise some good things to think about in terms of how customers perceive us as sellers from many different aspects, including gender.

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

Well, I'm sure it won't surprise anyone when I say that neither tyler@ebay or I can comment much on the results of an unauthorized, third-party report. It's interesting reading. Dare I venture that the product-based shopping experience could potentially narrow or eliminate this gap? *dodges volley of arrows*

I'm more interested in the cause of the alleged gap. It could be as simple as a bias at the buyer level, or as complicated as something like women having fewer resources (such as time) to put into their selling than do men, because we're stuck driving to soccer practice, scheduling doctor's appointments, and sending out thank-you cards on behalf of the family unit. (An interesting Harper's Bazaar article about emotional labour).

Psychology Today also took it upon themselves to tear apart the study in question.

Diversity (including gender diversity) is kind of a big deal for eBay. In 2016, we even hired a Chief Diversity Officer to make sure eBay continues to support this value effectively.

Here is some reading material about diversity in general at eBay (both in the marketplace and in the company itself):

Diversity & Inclusion at eBay

eBay’s Gender Pay Equity Study Finds Pay Parity Between Women and Men

How Online Commerce Can Help Fight Inequality

Tech Companies are Well Positioned to Advance Gender Equality (written by eBay Canada's Managing Director)

Apologies if this reply is somewhat disjointed. It's fire alarm testing day at the eBay Canada office--which exists, by the way--and it's a very effective form of psychological torture.

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

Thank you for that very comprehensive and well-balanced reply. I will dutifully read through the links you’ve shared. I’d give your post two thumbs-up if only I could.
Message 23 of 24
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish it is the other way and men would be screaming bloody murder!!  LOL!!

Message 24 of 24
latest reply