Free Shipping

I am feeling kind of stuck right now and not sure what to do. Ebay really pushes offering "free shipping" but they also push tracking your shipments  but tracking outside canada is crazy expensive.  I have two international customers open a case because they're stuff hasn't arrived, I sent it without tracking and that still cost an absurd amount of money. I can't control how long things take to show up and I feel like the window offered for things to arrive in is just too short. I've told the customers there is no tracking, one was told more than once but they keep asking for a tracking number and I just ended up refunding one of them already even though she will likely her stuff for free now. the other isn't responding to my message I sent and I keep getting a reminder from Ebay to resolve this already or they could be asked to step in. I feel like im being punished for something I can't control. When you buy things from somewhere like aliexpress they make you wait 60 days for the item to arrive which is far more realistic than 30 days.

I cut my prices to take out the surface rate shipping and then set up calculated shipping but I foresee my sales dropping off completely. Tracking on most of my items will cost over $50.

Has anyone else managed to find a happy medium with the two? how many untracked packages do you send out and have customers claim non receipt for?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Free Shipping

@maddkatt06 wrote:

That's an interesting idea about the processing time. If I mail it asap does it still give me that ten days? Or should I ship it asap an snit mark it shipped until the date it should be? Most of my  candy fits on a small mailer so I mean I can mail airmail under twenty bucks and offer a price that includes the shipping  If what you're suggesting will work out. I think that's a clever idea I never thought of it 

At one time I would say that the estimated arrival time would not change even if you mailed the item earlier than your handling time but there have been reports on the US boards that if a seller consistently mails an item quicker than their handling time suggests,  the arrival time may be changed by ebay.  I've heard that they no longer do this but I honestly have no idea, you would have to experiment.  Its possible that if they do that, it is only if there is tracking proving that the sellers usually ships earlier than stated.

If your handling time is more than 5 days, I believe that ebay shows buyers some sort of warning that the handling time is quite long.

I do think that you have to keep in mind that if your handling time is too long, some buyers may not purchase just because they think it will take too long.   My guess is that this is the most true for US buyers. I noticed that you are using international options for US shipping rather than the actual services that go to the US...for example International Air does not go to the US.  Since you are using flat rate shipping it really doesn't matter but the time of 9-22 business days seems awfully long for US buyers. 

Another way to somewhat to control the arrival date is by using the options that have the longer time. I find that as a general rule...this may not be true in all cases...that using the generic options on the sell your item form give a bit longer of a delivery time than small packet air might give.  Again, you would have to experiment as the results do vary.

I have to mention this one more time...I don't understand the need for free shipping to international buyers.  When you include the shipping cost in the price of the item you often end up penalizing other buyers. For example, for a 170 gram package of candy you have free shipping to everywhere. Shipping that package to the US with small packet air USA would cost about $8.50 and about $12 to Australia and about $14 to Ontario. So if you add in $14 or even $12 to your price so that you have free shipping, your US buyers are being penalized.   But I don't know where your main market is so that may work for you.  If your products are easily available in the US and Canada than obviously your strategy would be different than mine because you would be aiming more at overseas sales:)

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

hlmacdon
Community Member

@maddkatt06 wrote:

Has anyone else managed to find a happy medium with the two? how many untracked packages do you send out and have customers claim non receipt for?

When I was shipping untracked my sample size was probably on the order of 2-3000 shipments.  If you non-receipt claims are higher than about 1% of transactions then you are either shipping to the wrong countries (look at third party insures and the list of countries they will allow to be insured for a rough guide) or selling in a high risk category. Since switching to USPS I have 1 or 2 non-receipt claims out of a sample size of somewhere in the region of 5-6000 shipments. Note that this doesn't account for the odd return shipment because buyers find it hard to include their apartment number apparently.

My suggestion would be to look at third party insurers, there are ones that specifically insure Canada Post untracked shipments. Build that cost into your shipping and offer untracked small packet. If buyers are unwilling to pay shipping they were never your customer in the first place.

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

If buyers are unwilling to pay shipping they were never your customer in the first place.

Absolutely, this is something every seller has to learn at some point.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply