Hmm buyer email address no longer in PAYPAL or paypal email messages...

I probably missed the announcement about this, but I had occasion today to need to contact a buyer about a returned item (sent back in February!) that I couldn't use the ebay messaging system for because it was past 90 days and saying anything about address would get "Bot'd".

Of course back in February they were still providing the email address on the payment notification, but I noticed the payment notifications I have today don't.

I went and looked in PAYPAL land and nope the email addresses are not there for ebay buyers anymore.

One can get the email address from ebay proper for a while (30? or 60?) days but after that not.

This would mean I would have a much bigger problem if this same problem happened a couple months from now....

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

hlmacdon
Community Member

Ebay whined to paypal and had them remove the information as part of their crackdown on potential sales outside of ebay, which is both childish and pointless as the data already exists on the ebay side and is easy for any seller to collect. The data still exists on the paypal side and is accessible outside of the individual transaction details. 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

If you keep a hard copy of either the packing slip when you shipped or the commercial invoice if it went internationally you should have the customers email address displayed. Not perfect but would work in an urgently required situation as a back up.

-CM

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@hlmacdon wrote:

Ebay whined to paypal and had them remove the information as part of their crackdown on potential sales outside of ebay, which is both childish and pointless as the data already exists on the ebay side and is easy for any seller to collect. The data still exists on the paypal side and is accessible outside of the individual transaction details. 

Well that piqued my interest because I looked "everywhere" trying to find it before your comments here.

I did finally find it via opening the "refund" aspect and voila there it is. So that makes me feel better.....thank you for mentioning this because I wouldn't have thought to look there if you hadn't said this....

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote

Well that piqued my interest because I looked "everywhere" trying to find it before your comments here.

I did finally find it via opening the "refund" aspect and voila there it is. So that makes me feel better.....thank you for mentioning this because I wouldn't have thought to look there if you hadn't said this....

There are multiple ways of getting the information. It is data they'll be retaining for their own records as typically a processor will want all relevant customer contact information or chargeback mediation as well as their own internal security checks. It will be interesting to see what information ebay removes from site as well as their own communications/tools once Ayden processing comes in. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

When you are in your PayPal account you can access any email address from your buyers by clicking on "classic view".  

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

They’ve removed the classic view from some accounts.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

The 'refund' suggestion works, though.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

How long till they wipe that out as well?  The "classic view" was provided for people using actual computers, not phones or tablets.  The lack of customer phone numbers, except in some cases also causes slow-downs in the process if you ever use couriers as couriers need phone numbers.  So, you have to message the customer manually through Ebay after the sale. 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

If you often use couriers then you should check off that buyers are required to provide a phone number. I believe that option is somewhere in site preference but its been a while since I've looked for it.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

If you often use couriers then you should check off that buyers are required to provide a phone number. I believe that option is somewhere in site preference but its been a while since I've looked for it.

Selling preferences --> shipping preferences.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply