Global seller performance program questions.

I do not understand this.  Can anyone explain it to me?

Starting August 1, 2017, only sales to buyers outside of the United States, United Kingdom, and Germany will count toward your seller performance in the Global region. Sales to US buyers will no longer apply to the Global seller performance program.

To maintain your Top Rated status in the Global region, you may need to build up your sales to buyers outside of the United States, United Kingdom, and Germany. To give you time to meet the eligibility requirements, we will continue to offer Top Rated Seller benefits to sellers who are currently Top Rated in the Global region and maintain good performance on sales to that region until February 20, 2018.

Does selling within Canada still count in the Global?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

I tend to agree.

I try to price to cover all my costs as if I had no discounts.

So any perks are jam on my croissant.

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

Hi rose-dee,

The changes to the Global program are being put in place, not as a cost saving measure, but as a way to better align the program with the intended spirit of the program.  The intention of the seller standards programs is to reward sellers who provide outstanding service to buyers in a specific region, at high volume.  In general, outstanding service provided more often by sellers who are consistently selling to a particular region, and hence understand the ins and outs of complex transaction-related activity (for instance international shipping).

Under the current standards program, performance and volume is double-counted (in both Global and the local regional program) when a seller sells to a buyer in the US, UK/Ireland, and Germany/Switzerland/Austria regions.  That means that:

a) sellers are getting credit for activity in regions they are not selling into at any high volume, which is contrary to the spirit of the program as outlined above

b) if a seller does end up with a defect in a region they don't sell into regularly, it will be counted in both regions - leading to a double jeopardy situation that can actually hinder their selling ability in their primary sales region.

These changes are going to impact sellers in all countries who are measured on the Global standards program - they are not intended to specifically impact Canadian sellers who do most of their business in the US.  The changes have no impact on existing seller ratings under the US, UK/Ireland, or Germany/Switzerland/Austria programs.

Since we know that Canadian sellers are highly dependant on sales to the US, we will continue to honour the existing policy on Top Rated seller discounts.  Specifically, all Canadian sellers who are Top Rated in either the US or Global program will continue to receive their Top Rated discount, indefinitely.

Furthermore, to help with the transition period, we have added additional protections:

• For those sellers who lose their Top Rated Status in the Global Program due to the program changes will retain Top Rated Status for 6 months after the changes take place.  Top Rated badges will also continue to appear on these sellers' listings.
  • For those sellers who slip into Below Standard in the Global Program due to the program changes will retain their existing status for 3 months after the changes take place. 

We will be contacting sellers who fit into either of these categories to ensure that they are aware that they may be impacted by the program change.  As well, notifications will be posted on their seller dashboards, indicating that they are receiving protection and how to remedy the change.

@rose-dee wrote:

They really might as well get rid of "Global" TRS for Canadian sellers now, for what little good it will do.  Only sellers whose sales are spread widely all over the world will ever qualify. 

Regarding the point you made above, I understand that as a seller that sells primarily to US buyers, the Global program may appear less valuable.  However, for sellers who sell large volumes to Canadian buyers or other international buyers the program continues to be very important.  

I think that what you are trying to indicate in this point is that the Canadian market is small, and hence sellers will need to spread out their sales globally to attain the Global Top Rated status.  However, we currently have plenty of sellers who are Top Rated in the Global program, entirely due to their Canadian transactions, and eBay Canada transaction volume is actually growing at a significant rate at the moment.  

To be clear for anyone else who reads this post, sellers do not need to "spread widely" their transactions around the world - Canadian transactions will continue to count equally as much in the Global program as sales to any other destination (other than the regional - US, UK/I, G/S/A programs which will now be excluded). 

I hope this helps to clarify things a little more.  It's a complex change which makes it a little more difficult to explain, so feel free to continue asking questions.

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:
CANADA is part of the "global" TRS zone.

Sellers who continue selling to the Canadian market will still qualify.

Yes, you're right, that's quite true, but it will be a question of seller size and sales volume.  Canadian sellers will either have to have a large enough sales volume overall (including Canadian sales), or be in a market where they have traditionally attracted a high percentage of Canadian sales, in order to qualify for Global TRS. 

For the rest of us, which I imagine is the majority, the U.S. is the main source of our sales income.  I've used a lot of strategies over the years to try to increase my Canadian sales, but it's never been over about 5%.  I've heard the same story from many other smallish Canadian sellers.  EBay's claim that we can somehow boost that percentage enough to qualify for Global TRS is silly. 

The reality for the large number of small Canadian sellers whose sales have always been mainly to the U.S. is that we'll just have to increase them further to qualify for U.S. TRS -- if we still care to get the 10% discount.  

Actually, it's the recent comments by eBay about visibility, etc. based on TRS that have me concerned.  There is no doubt I will end up losing Global TRS, and may struggle to maintain U.S. TRS.  However, it's questionable whether that will mean much in the .com market where Canadian sellers will be competing against U.S. sellers who are able to achieve the U.S. TRS Plus designation and get a better boost by eBay.  

rose-dee,

Per my previous post, any Canadian seller who achieves TRS in either the US or Global TRS program, will continue to receive the TRS discount.  Nothing changes on that front with this program update.

I'm not sure what comments you are referring to re:visibility, but I don't know how you would expect any change in your visibility on the US site with the Global program changes.  Global TRS has no impact on US visibility, discounts, badges, or anything else on the eBay.com site, regardless of whether you list on eBay.ca (with shipping options to Canada or the US) or on eBay.com.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply