Hey guys, I have a few beginner questions about shipping hopefully someone can answer?

Hey guys, I was a little hesitant about attempting to post these questions because they may seem very obvious, but I've never sold a parcel using canada post on ebay. I'm about to sell some high value items tomorrow (auction ends tomorrow), and I was curious about the following questions below. Hopefully someone can answer these questions. Thanks a lot! 

1. Canada post states that one needs to transmit an electronic version of the manifest on the same day of deposit of the package -> will shippo allow me to send an electronic version of the manifest?

2. After I send the electronic version of the manifest to canada post -> Do I need to deposit the package on the same day?

3. Canada post states that one needs a paper copy of the transmitted manifest when depositing the package -> Do I simply print the transmitted manifest and hand it over with the package at the PO

(does the printed manifest have to be attached to the package?)

4. For international orders -> Do I include the customs info on the shipping label or do I need a separate paper for customs info?

5. For international orders -> Is there a place where I could fill out the customs form using shippo?

-> After completing the customs forms -> Do I simply print the customs form and hand it over with the package at the PO?

-> Does the customs form have to be stuck on the package or is just just handed over?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Hey guys, I have a few beginner questions about shipping hopefully someone can answer?

I've been buying shipping online (from PayPal, Canada Post EST Online, Canada Post Snap Ship, and Shippo) for ebay sales for the last decade and have never worried about manifests.

Online commercial providers like Shippo and PayPal supply all the needed info to Canada Post when the label is bought. Customs info for international sales is entered when you purchase the label (and included as part of the label for most services).

Canada Post website has detailed info about requirements/restrictions/info needed for every country of the world (googling "Canada Post name-of-country" should find the right page).

You do not need to ship the package the same day you purchase the label.

-..-

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Wow, thanks buddy! This cleared up a lot of questions for me.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@rainmanc0llectibles 

Any Canadapost tools are located at the first link. (2nd Link) is special requirements for shipping internationally. After the first page with box dimensions and weight you will go to the customs invoice where you are required to enter an HS Code for the type of item you are sending. (3rd Link). You will also need to update the product weight(before packing) and country of origin (Where was it was manufactured?). Fill in those blanks and you are good to go.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/tools.page

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/wtz/business/displaySpecialRequirements?execution=e1s1

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/wtz/business/findHsCode?execution=e2s1

-Lotz

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Canada Post went metric in 1974. Don't try to use any other measuring system.

You need a digital scale and a tape measure.

Tracking is for the benefit of the seller, but eBay does NOT require you to use it. You can even become a Global Top Rated Seller  without tracking. 

You should Search the Boards for more information about Cookie Jar Insurance.

Get your Solutions for Small Business card as soon as possible from the PO. You can get the number at the counter or register online.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/business/small-business.page

You need the number to use Shippo, Paypal Shipping (which I prefer) and SnapShip(Canada Post). 

There are discounts for having this number.

Most of the time all you need is:

• the weight and measurements of your package
  • the HS number for export (even to the USA)
  • a printer to print out your shipping label
  • a decision about how fast you need it to get there VS the value of the sale.
  • Tracking or Cookie Jar Insurance?

Oh and NEVER NEVER NEVER ship Surface. If a customer asks for this very slow but cheap service, he is very likely planning to scam you. Politely refuse and ask if he would prefer to cancel the sale. (Aaaargh-- but some sales are not worth having.)

Message 5 of 5
latest reply