How well do UR numbers work for US tracking?

byto253
Community Member

I have here read about putting in the UR number from untracked small packet shipments as a tracking number.  How reliable is it?  

Thanks.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

I have found the UR numbers work well when used on eBay... but not on any other selling site that I know of , nor does the Canada Post site recognize the numbers as any sort of tracking method>ONLY works on eBay and I have no idea why that is, but it is what it is...

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

Thanks, does it show when delivered as well?

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

I think the main point of using the non-tracking number as a tracker, is to head off sketchey customers who realizing the shipment is untracked, would open a specious Not Received claim, knowing they would get a free item.

The number itself would be useless in a Claim.

And most people are honest.

Worth doing anyway.

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

Every time I have added the tracking it has worked for me.  It only shows up on Ebay. It also shows when delivered. I had a few people claim they didn't receive theie parcels but the tracking showed it was delivered.

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

Yes as far as I can recall it does...I have not shipped anything small packet from eBay for several months...

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

It has always shown up for me once the package is scanned in the US. So far it has been scanned as delivered too.  Lately I have been using tracker packet though as the price difference is very little.

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

@reallynicestamps 

"The number itself would be useless in a Claim."

--------- 

If a UR parcel shows as delivered on eBay, the seller will win the claim. That is based on experience.

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Great, thanks.   USPS does like to scan everything. 

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

Agree with everything.   They've always worked for me and I assume that's because it's much easier for the USPO to just scan everything rather than pick only items with tracked package designation.

Also, recently the price difference between tracked and small package is so close there's rarely a point not to choose tracked package.  Seems like CPO may be phasing shipping without tracking out for obvious reasons.  (It's easier to scan everything.)

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

@byto253 wrote:

I have here read about putting in the UR number from untracked small packet shipments as a tracking number.  How reliable is it?  

Thanks.

@byto253 

Re: UR Numbers Tracking

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1673210954347.png

Mine are 4 or 5 days from Calgary to LAX. Customs then forwarded for delivery.

US Status:

lotzofuniquegoodies_1-1673211075533.png

The only one not validated was a letter. Out of the 21, 18 or 19 were Small Packet Air. When there were road issues in W. Canada, my small packet air went by way of Ontario. First US scan was Chicago. Not sure if that is still the "normal" first sort for anything mailed in the east.

-Lotz

As a side, I cut and paste tracking number from screen. Saves typing it in manually a risking a typo. If you update the tracking, the system assumes the date you are editing is the date you shipped. According to eBay CS it's a known glitch. With past shipping systems I've used, there was always an option to update the ship date(even include number of pcs and weight). eBay skipped those.

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

I have been using since August, I had one that never got scanned in the USA at all (i assume it was actualy lost) I sent the customer a replacement card during the Free October Shipping week and that one made it. Other then that no issues. I have had a few not show as delievered but the people left feedback. Their carrier must not have scanned it when droped off. But ofer all really no issues.

I believe the reason that ebay has access to the UR data is becasue they have access to Internal USPS scanning date. Same for how they get the data for the ebay tracked card shipping program, The sorting machines scan thoese and they are marekd delieved once scanned at the last sorting machine, Usually takes a day or two after that to actually get to the customer. That program has its own issues.

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

I think I read that in the UK, they are now putting barcodes on all stamps. I'm guessing that will provide some form of tracking for lettermail there.

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

Know where your old stamps are?

Use them up by 31 January 2023, or swap them out.
We’re adding barcodes to our regular stamps. After 31 January 2023, regular stamps without a barcode* will no longer be valid. You can either use up these stamps before this deadline or swap them for the new barcoded ones.

The stamps that are changing are the stamps (pictured below) that will be very familiar to you. They feature the profile of Her Late Majesty The Queen on a plain coloured background. The barcodes will enable exciting new services by connecting physical stamps to the digital world through the Royal Mail app which you can download here.

https://www.royalmail.com/sending/barcoded-stamps#:~:text=We're%20adding%20barcodes%20to,be%20very%2....

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

For me about 98%

A few packages never get updated in the last leg, but it is rare.

Message 15 of 36
latest reply

@brettjet38 

I don't want to imagine folks in the queue lining up to get new stamps. Scary thought!!!

lotzofuniquegoodies_3-1673219678292.png

or

I need stamps!!!!

-Lotz

Message 16 of 36
latest reply

@brettjet38 

We spent a few hours in December assembling and packaging "Machin" stamps (the Queen's Head) for a customer who was bringing them to the Royal Mail and getting paid for them.

Turned a lot of stuff into money which is what it's all about.

Message 17 of 36
latest reply

I have stamps!

Message 18 of 36
latest reply

Nobody ws more skeptical than me when i first started using it.  But after using them for well over 1 1/2 years i can report excellent results with UR tracking numbers.  The main drawbacks are there is about a 2 day lag between entering the tracking number on Ebay and the first scan showing up on Ebay, which is caused by Canada Post's handling time.  Once it's put on a  plane to the US the first scan wll show up.

The other drawback is that you don't always get a delivery scan.  Originallly i was getting one about 90% of the time but in the last few months it's increased to 95%.  But in all cases there were scans up to the point of delivery.

As stated above many times, it is only trackable on Ebay.  So for items ove $100 in value i still purchase tracked packet from CP.

And contrary to what you might have heard, you can win INR cases with UR numbers.  I've won two and lost zero.

Message 19 of 36
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

How is the delivery time for Small Packet untracked air service compared to Tracked Packet?   

Message 20 of 36
latest reply