I am wondering if ebay notices a difference when there are no free listings?

Well it has been over a month since there were any free listings other than the 50 on .ca or 50 on .com.  I am just wondering if ebay notices a difference in the amount of sales and money they earn.

For myself, if I don't earn any money, ebay doesn't either.  

With the free listings, I sell anywhere from 50 to 100 items a month, without them, about 5.  

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

With the free listings, I sell anywhere from 50 to 100 items a month, without them, about 5.  

Should we assume that when eBay charges for listings, you don't list?

It would make sense if you have lower sales when you have fewer listings.

How many sales do you have when you list ignoring the cost of the listing? That is if you have 1000 listings at a cost of $28.50 ( 50 free and 950 at 30c) do you sell more than if you have 1000 listings at a no cost (50 free and 950 on free promotion).

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

950 istings at .30 would be $285.00, not $28.50.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I too am missing the free listings. I have a basic store & used all of them. I think this is the first month that I can remember in quite some time that I have not been invited to a promotion. Hope this is not a sign of the way it is going to be in the future. My sales for Feb were definitely down from Jan (2 promos that month if I recall). Will have to see what March brings.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Apparently, not only am I dysnumeric, but so is my calculator.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

They did go hog-wild on ebay.com with the free listings (wasn't 10,000 being offered to some USA sellers?) for the holiday spending spree so I'm thinking that February was the time it was decided to cull the herd. 

I missed having a listing promo last month too.

That being said, it's March 1 and I need to close the store anyway this week due to a family emergency so my 350+ unsold and 25+ new listings are still sitting on the backburner and will remain there for awhile longer.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Too bad you cant transfer free listings, this could be a whole other racket auctioning off free listings Smiley LOL

But i guess if they were auctioned off it wouldnt be free anymore Smiley Sad

Funny part is, im sure some auctions would end up more than the standard rate!

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Well it has been over a month since there were any free listings other than the 50 on .ca or 50 on .com.  I am just wondering if ebay notices a difference in the amount of sales and money they earn.

For myself, if I don't earn any money, ebay doesn't either.  

The new 2016 Spring Seller Update will be coming out in March, roughly around the 15th and will be effective May 1st. Past Spring updates makes changes to the fee structure. Last year they reduced the free store allotment to 20 free from 50. Later in the summer eBay went back to the 50 free for non-store and increased the basic store to 200 from 150 free Fixed Price listings.

Not that the 2016 Spring Update should affect current free listing promos until May 1. But I am curious if eBay will increase the "free" allotment for non-stores and stores levels. It makes no sense to constantly give free promos regularly each month (2 per month was the past rate). Stop the free listing promo games and give higher levels of free to all. Make having a store meaningful instead of making a seller think about non-store options with free promos. The site needs stability and a balance.

Current free is 50 free Fixed Price for non-store, 200 for Basic store, 500 for Premium Store, 2500 for Anchor store. Change the free to something more useful like 100 or 200 or 250 free for non-store, 500 for Basic store, 1000 for Premium, 5000 for Anchor. Keep the current pricing scheme Maybe make a new level as some have suggested with 2500 at a price pro-rated form the other levels.

This would allow the listings of more slow selling and or low price items which is what the promos do. It would also allow the use of GTC for more items which should prevent duplicates from listing manually from UnSold as well as save Sellers hours of work managing their listings they save for these promos as well as all the BS to change durations or formats from Fixed Price to Auction and vice versa and trying to see if you can fit in two run of the listing (a 5 day then a 30 day) with the promo period. Seriously, so much time wasted with promos trying to take advantage of them and maximize their use.

Some might say more regular free listing for a store or non-store will flood the eBay system but it is already flooded with the promos regularly.

My thoughts on this circus of regular free promos that ebay has made some seller depend on and wait for needlessly. Regular free promos is a very silly thing ebay does. Obviously there is a need for the free listings because they are used.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Yes hopefully the increase in holiday promos is the main reason. Last year there was one in February and two in March.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Since eBay is what it is; not what it was - either need more free monthly listings or 1 free promo per month for quantity listing; otherwise it is going to be eBay's loss.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Great points. I had a store subscription a few years ago but the existing subscription levels have always been unaffordable for the type and volume of items I sell. The promotions have been my saving grace ever since. I would gladly pay a monthly fee for something closer to the equivalent promotions, just to have stability, and I'm sure many other sellers would too. Surely the revenue from final value fees alone must be worth enough to them, as they have been offering these promotions since at least 2012.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

You jest but if I could buy them for a penny each I would. Maybe we can set up a black market!

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would rather have 2 free listing promos monthly (1 for fixed and 1 for auction-style).  I noticed with free listings I sold more items than without free listings, surely eBay would notice or unless they are DUMB, their loss.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

eBay wants to maximize profits. Offering free listings means more listings which means more fvf revenue. It also means losing listing fees from those who would have listed even if they had to pay but got them free. Free promotions encourage more people to sell more but they are often not the ones that will later pay to list. It is difficult to know what strategy works best for them. They my be seeing that by first offering lots of them and now nothing for February. At some point they will analyze the data and decide.

Over the years things have varied from lots of freebies to only about once a year. We will see what happens and I will react to that in the manner that best suites me. Right now I have about 1000 items up all the time. I have a few thousand more that only go up if there is a listing sale. Others in the stamp category do this  too as there are quite a few less listings in the Canada section than there were a few weeks ago.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply