Incomplete Address: What Do You Folks Do?

Hello all,

Sold a listing last week and while entering the address in my CP app, it showed that the building they want this shipped to is a condo or apt. block & they did not include a suite number. This buyer has 0 feedback and has not seen/responded to my sent eBay messages. What would y'all do in this case? Ship it anyways? Cancel the order?

Thx!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I’d cancel as issue with address but that’s me.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I wouldn't ship it either if I knew address was incomplete. Sounds like you tried messaging him but (if you haven't already) give him one last chance heads up,  saying something like, since your address is incomplete I will cancelling the order if I do not hear back from you with suite number.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

If you decide to ship, do through CP only - their return service works really well.

I had a customer from Dubai, who provided a weird address. I asked him to verify, he insisted the address is OK. It was not. The package was returned 2 monts later with a note "no such address".  

Please note: if you decide not to ship because of the "problem with buyer's address", you can still get a negative feedback.   

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

If it is lettermail/untracked, I would cancel due to a problem with address. I would send them a polite message explaining that Canada Post's Address lookup stated their address was incomplete. I would then invite them to re-purchase it if they would like. The problem with untracked is that you are on the hook if anything goes wrong. With tracked, you could at least give them the benefit of the doubt because there are ways to redirect or retrieve the package for them if they later contact you.

A guest account is less likely to respond to messages. You could see if they have a phone number attached to the transaction. If you go to your orders page and select Print Packing Slip from the dropdown, the packing slip will have their phone number under the address. You could call or text them to inquire about their address. Keep in mind, some people view eBay as more of a peer-to-peer type of marketplace and may not even be aware you have their phone number. They may not like the idea of a random eBay seller "from the internet" calling them, even if there is a reason for it.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

One and only one more Message to the buyer, letting him know the problem and that eBay does not require sellers to refund anything at all on purchases sent to an Undeliverable address.

Then if there is no reponse, cancel as Problem with Address.

If they send an update, the fastest way to fix a label is to handwrite the unit number on the label and get it in the mail.

Carriers are usually literate.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thanks all!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply