Is a Commercial Agreement with Canada Post worth it?

Hey guys!

So I'm paying 10k-15k in shipping fees with Canada Post / year. I'm also purchasing ~1k worth of stamps / year.

I have reached the highest saving bracket but I definitely don't feel like I'm saving much at all.

Is there anyone here who have / have had / know someone who have a Commercial Agreement with Canada Post? Do you think I could be eligible and do you think it would be worth the trouble in my case?

Thanks a lot!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Canada Post suggests over 1250 parcels per year to consider a Commercial contract.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Last year, I enquired about the first level commercial discount.  They offered  a marginally better discount then the PayPal discount.  It was actually only a few cents better.  

Plus I believe it was only on the certain types of package services you use most.  It wasn't across the board, so on some packages you would save and others you would pay more then PP.

I didn't negotiate, but perhaps they will actually offer better rates if you push...

I used to ship all my parcels through post, but it has gotten quite costly.  I negotiated some pretty good rates with ups recently,  and am saving about $3 a box over the Shippo Post rates.  I ship mostly to the US.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

That's interesting!

I ship about 900 package in the US and maybe 400 in Canada / year.

How do you negotiate a deal with UPS? Can I simply call them at their 1-800 number and ask for a commercial account? Then ask for quotes on some random packages and compare with what you're getting with shippo?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

You just call them and ask to open an account.  They should give you an account manager who will setup your rates.  they will ask about volume destinations and services.  The more you ship the lower the rates should be.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Also, Canada Post takes into consideration your past usage versus not simply what you say you are going to send their way. For an actual Commercial Account as opposed to opening an account for Solutions for Small Business, formerly known as VentureOne. They are similar in that both are for 'business' but different in that the rates offered and billing arrangement are not the same. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

If I went with UPS, is there a way I could link my UPS commercial account to Shippo or would I have to log-in my account on UPS.ca and do like 7-8 copy pastes every single time?

Thanks!

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Shippo allows you to link as many different carrier options as you like. Come back if you need directions to do so, it's an easy walkthrough. Also, soon after Shippo was launched, they did a webinar which explained that and more which is probably available somewhere on ebay for review. 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Thank you guys!

I have contacted UPS and they should get back to me within 24h.

I asked the the Post Office clerk earlier today to tell me how much I would pay on 3 different packages had  I paid directly at the counter instead of using Shippo linked to my level 4 saving Canada Post account.

Turns out I'm barely saving 10% on each of them... this is ridiculous.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Which services did you ask them about? I would have thought that it would be more of a discount than that on some services.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I think you either misunderstood or were misinformed. See https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/business/small-business/shipping-discounts.page

Level 1-4 Online savingsLevel 1-4 Online savings

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

In particular, please note the difference between Level One online and postal counter:

CanadaCanadaUSAUSAWorldwideWorldwide

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Thanks!

That explains a lot!

Unfortunately - most of the packages I ship have the lowest saving. Which is consistent with what I found at the post office.

As for UPS, they are a lot more expensive than Canada Post for the type of packages I send so I guess I'll just stick with them.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply