It really bugs me when ebay recommends a price, give me a break.

When you list something brand new, ebay recommends what you should sell it at.   Where did they get that number from?  When I list something I compare it with what is listed and put it near the middle on the lower side on .com and on .ca it is the lowest.  They want me to sell it for $4.70, give me a break.

Suggested $4.70Suggested $4.70.com.com.ca the cheapest.ca the cheapeston .com middleon .com middleon .ca cheapeston .ca cheapest

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

sorry for the double pictures
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

That may be a built in feature/side affect  from using the new eBay catalog. Pitting 1 seller against the others. Price suggestions made by bots. But similar to what I was saying before. They all become a mish mash of identical looking listings with a buyer basing their decision entirely on item price and shipping.

-CM

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

amcdc79
Community Member

Don'y you just love it when they say your chance of a sale is 100% less than a competitor, when you're the same price, or the only one selling that item. Race to the bottom for sure, with ebay in the saddle, I just wish they would take off the stirrups while they ride us into the ground,lol.

For many used items, condition plays a huge part in it's value.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

The price recommendation features seem to be coded abysmally. Same goes for the ridiculous relisting price suggestions that get emailed when you end a listing. I expect the catalog items will get fine tuned because it *really* should be hard to screw up a lookup to a sales history table for a rolling average/last sale price.  I find it hilarious they are generating pricing suggestions for non-catalog items that they have no way to actually generate any history for using anything other than the most inaccurate fuzzy text matches since there are no MPN/UPCs to tie back to the product. Time to relist XYZ widget! Relisting the item for $2 less could make the difference! 

In any case the point of the exercise isn't really accuracy but rather to keep reinforcing downward price pressure on the seller. If they weren't busy bragging about testing hundreds of new features daily maybe they could roll out 1 that actually works, but probably not.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I love the suggestions about how to improve my listings that then tell me they can't show me any comparable items.

Mostly this is my sewing patterns, which are mass produced, but vintage-ish.

When I Search the maker and pattern number, I do find comps- most of which are used to my new, have added shipping to my 'free' shipping, or are not available worldwide.

Removing those, I find my pricing to be about the norm.

Sheesh.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

eBay on eBay.com has been adding the Best Offer option to some listings.  Sellers are very unhappy with this level of interference..... 

Seller removes the Best Offer Options and it is back.

The following is stated on each listing.........Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.

Maybe eBay has stopped doing this... Could not find the discussion.
---------------------------------------------------
The price  for an item is the seller's choice...

It is unfortunate but some sellers....many in the book category...  price things high..... Sometimes   very, very, high. 

Who would buy a book  for $40,000?....  No gallery photo.....title of the book.... no item specifics... and a no specific description of condition  ... just a generic description of condition.   and most importantly, this book could be bought elsewhere on the internet for a lot less.... like $20
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

While there are some sellers of marginal mental stability here, I suspect most fall into two categories>

• Fat fingers. It's a typo. I recently noticed one of my postcards was listed at $99.99 albeit with Free Shipping.  That got fixed immediately.
  • They don't have the book but expect to have it again. This strategy is pushed by quite a few posters on dotCOM with the reasoning that the seller doesn't lose his watchers/views. Yeah, the ones who didn't buy at a lower price.

This is a forbidden practice and is a huge bugaboo of mine .

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/listing-no-item.html

Listings that are out of stock but left active, often with a drastically increased price to prevent purchases. (See the out-of-stock option for Good 'Til Cancelled listings.)

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

The other variation is a seller with an item that is out of stock instead of increasing their price just changes the shipping to an unrealistically high amount. Has same affect. No purchases. Item stays in play. Not sure if it bypasses the raising the actual price situation. Interesting cheat when they get away with it and not a lot anyone can do to stop this practice.

-CM

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Besides being "eBay illegal" it's just stupid.

The seller isn't going to get a sale.

He is turning off potential customers.

And all he gets out of it, at best, is keeping his watchers and views public, although those are the visitors who did not buy his product when he did have it.

I gotta go mail my parcels.  The exercise will cool me off about this.

It really really bugs me.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply