Item returned to me with mention "Vacant"

Hey guys!

So I sold an item to a US buyer about 2 months ago and yesterday the package was returned to me with "VACANT" written over the shipping label.

I searched the address on the internet to make sure in was valid and found the house was actually up for sale

The buyer has not contacted me about not receiving his order even it's been over 2 months now.

Should I contact the buyer upfront and refund his order minus shipping?

I had to pay ~25$ to ship the item but only charged 4.99$. Could I subtract my real shipping costs or am I only allowed to subtract 4.99$?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@vip-marketplace wrote:

I'm really sorry your account was hacked / stolen.

I understand it isn't your responsibility but I've lost over 60$ myself in this transaction because the package was returned crushed and damaged and USPS won't cover for these damages.

20$ was the real shipping cost of sending a 1.5kg package from Canada to the US - I can provide the packing slip with the price on it if your interested.

I suggest you contact the police to help you find who's responsible for ordering the item using your eBay account and have him pay the shipping costs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, you guys think I can send that message?

Did your buyer ever once SAY his account was hacked/stolen?  

There is every chance that it was not hacked but rather his bitter ex-girlfriend/wife who has access to his financials

At this point, with tracking that says it went to a wrong address, you may not need to do anything.

Since the buyer doesn't sound particularly outraged at the 'theft of information' it is likely the item was either ordered and then not wanted or ordered by the ex (or someone), and giving anyone access to his financials IS his responsibility.  

Do what you want, but I would scrap those 2 sentences for sure, and any affirmation that he is not responsible.  

I would also scrap the phrase about it being crushed by the postal system.  It is not relevant to the issue, that being the parcel was returned to you from a vacant house.  

If you want to refund then do it.  This message almost looks like you first want him to "make you".  

If you do NOT want to continue further with this, remind him of your shipping costs and suggest he take up the matter with whoever has had access to his accounts.  If he believes there is fraud he can go to his local police.  

You'd be surprised how many people think the simple phrase "I didn't order that" is enough to make a seller say "OK, Here's all your money back".  If you WANT to refund the rest, then do it.  Otherwise tell the buyer to file a police report if the buyer suspects illegal activity.  Remind him you will happily co-operate with the authorities.  

Others here will have different opinions, but that's mine.  

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Was there tracking on this?  If not, it is probably past the eBay claim deadline but not for a PP claim.  Without tracking to prove anything a buyer can still file an INR on PP and get a full refund.  

If there IS tracking (sounds like it, for $25) and the buyer gave you a wrong address and you mailed to the shipping address that was on the PP invoice, any claim the buyer tries to make will be denied and you don't really HAVE TO refund at all.  The buyer can ask you to send it again, but you don't have to, or you can have the buyer pay the second shipping fee and remail it.  Up to you.

The decent thing to do is refund everything except the amount you yourself paid out for shipping.  EBay won't force you to do it where the tracking shows it was sent back, but obviously you should not lose out money because of this.  EBay almost always sides with buyers but there comes a point where they have to assume SOME responsibility for their own purchases.  

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@vip-marketplace wrote:

Hey guys!

So I sold an item to a US buyer about 2 months ago and yesterday the package was returned to me with "VACANT" written over the shipping label.

I searched the address on the internet to make sure in was valid and found the house was actually up for sale:

[link]

The buyer has not contacted me about not receiving his order even it's been over 2 months now.

Should I contact the buyer upfront and refund his order minus shipping?

I had to pay ~25$ to ship the item but only charged 4.99$. Could I subtract my real shipping costs or am I only allowed to subtract 4.99$?

In similar situations I have sent ONE message to the buyer simply letting them know the package was returned and they should contact me to resolve.

Of the half dozen or so of these situations that I have run into I have never received a reply. The packages in question are in a little pile in the corner of my basement. If I ever run out of stuff to sell (not likely) I'll open those packages and sell them again.

Given that it's 2 months you can pretty much do whatever you like.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I need more advice...

I contacted the buyer informing him his order was returned to me.

Unfortunately, he got back to me saying he never made that purchase and requested a refund.

I refunded as requested and deducted my shipping costs.

The following day he writes back asking why I had subtracted 20$ so I explained I had deducted the shipping costs.

Today I got another message asking why he would have to pay 20$ shipping on an order he didn't make.

This is the worst scenario that could have happened.

What do I do? The order is almost 3 months old.

I was about to send him the following message but thought I might as well ask you guys if you see anything wrong with this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand it isn't your responsibility but I've lost over 60$ myself in this transaction because the package was returned crushed and damaged and USPS won't cover for these damages.

20$ was the real shipping cost of sending a 1.5kg package from Canada to the US - I can provide the packing slip with the price on it if your interested.

I suggest you contact the police to help you find who's responsible for ordering the item using your eBay account and have him pay the shipping costs.

Kind regards,

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@vip-marketplace wrote:

Did your buyer ever once SAY his account was hacked/stolen?  

There is every chance that it was not hacked but rather his bitter ex-girlfriend/wife who has access to his financials

At this point, with tracking that says it went to a wrong address, you may not need to do anything.

Since the buyer doesn't sound particularly outraged at the 'theft of information' it is likely the item was either ordered and then not wanted or ordered by the ex (or someone), and giving anyone access to his financials IS his responsibility.  

Do what you want, but I would scrap those 2 sentences for sure, and any affirmation that he is not responsible.  

I would also scrap the phrase about it being crushed by the postal system.  It is not relevant to the issue, that being the parcel was returned to you from a vacant house.  

If you want to refund then do it.  This message almost looks like you first want him to "make you".  

If you do NOT want to continue further with this, remind him of your shipping costs and suggest he take up the matter with whoever has had access to his accounts.  If he believes there is fraud he can go to his local police.  

You'd be surprised how many people think the simple phrase "I didn't order that" is enough to make a seller say "OK, Here's all your money back".  If you WANT to refund the rest, then do it.  Otherwise tell the buyer to file a police report if the buyer suspects illegal activity.  Remind him you will happily co-operate with the authorities.  

Others here will have different opinions, but that's mine.  

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Just a quick update:

I did as you suggested an never heard back from the buyer! 🙂

Thanks!

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

not hacked but rather his bitter ex-girlfriend/wife who has access

That counts as 'stolen'.

So do orders made by toddlers, cats and babysitters.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Not on eBay it doesn't.  Users are responsible for all activity on their accounts, including purchases made by their children and those made by the babysitter if they are dumb enough to give her access to their information.  I'm not going to consider that cats might use eBay accounts.  

user.jpg

Message 8 of 8
latest reply