Why No More Monthly Promotions (free listings) For Top Rated Sellers

Why do top rated sellers no longer receive free promotional listings every month?????? I would think Ebay would make more money if more items were for sale???????

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

The last monthly promotion I was invited to ended Jan 25/16.  Nothing for the month of Feb or to date in March for me.  My sales were OK in Feb as I had over 1,000 listed but for March sales are practically non existent.  If I am not making any money, neither is ebay.  

My personal feeling is ebay wants to see what affect not having free listings has on their bottom line.   In order to do that they need to have a period of no free listings.  

Considering what I have seen on the .com and .ca boards it is not only sellers who do not have a store that rely on free listings but many with stores use them too.  

I have backed up all my listings on turbo lister and am ready if they ever have free listings again.  I am sure they will but I may not get invited or they may just skip March too.

One thing that ebay possibly forgets is that ebay sellers are usually ebay buyers too, so if the sellers do not make money they can't/won't spend any.   It's like when you have a table at a flea market and the best customers are all the other sellers.  

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@jeff888sara wrote:

Why do top rated sellers no longer receive free promotional listings every month?????? I would think Ebay would make more money if more items were for sale???????

Lots of threads this month already, also see:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Does-Ebay-ca-intend-on-offering-any-free-listing-days-in-...

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Still-no-promos-eh/m-p/329099#U329099

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/New-promo-on-eBay-com-forums-March-9-14-1000-free-Auction...

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Although this is a fairly old thread post

I too have turbo lister with close to 3000 listings pre set up and ready to list any time thers free listings

It took my a while to get everything set up but I just now wait and when ever I get 500 or 1000 I load up as not all items sell the first time, even if the price is decent it sometimes takes 3 times in listing same item before it sells so to do that thers goes some decent $$$ in listings fees and then having to pay 10 percent fee on the sale, So after I got 10000 free listing offer I decided to pre make up listings on turbo lister and once I get a free listing invite I list them otherwise there is no way I would list 500 items and paying listings fees knowing that items have slim chance to sell on the first time listed.

So its ebay loss not mine the less I list the less ebay makes from me

Now I see ebay Canada is going to make a deal with kijiji Canada  kind of makes me think maybe Ebay is looking at kijijis growth over the years  as kijiji has picked up buyers and listers

maybe Ebay considering going UNLIMITED FREE LISTINGS but then it would loose from its store monthly service charge

Slowly im listing more items on kijiji its simple and free and if I do sell an item NO FEES to anyone Not even PAYPAL as most funds are sent via family/friends

If thers a will thers a way  and its only a matter of time that ebay comes around and changes its rules to keep sellers around cause with out sellers ebay is toast.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

EBay doesn't make money on Free Listings.

EBay makes money on sales.

The 30 cents (or less, as a TRS most of my listings average out around 3 cents each monthly), may just cover infrastructure costs. All those browser farms and the foosball tables at HQ. The 30 cents (or less, as a TRS most of my listings average out around 3 cents each monthly), may just cover infrastructure costs. All those browser farms and the foosball tables at HQ. 

If there are 140 million items for sale with a 40% sell through, why add another few million with even less chance of selling?

The reason I say less chance of selling is that the sellers themselves don't reckon they are likely to make money on those backup listings if they have to pay 30 cents each to list them.

If you think it would sell if it were listed, why isn't it listed? You don't make money on the stock you hide in the back room.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@33nhl wrote:

Although this is a fairly old thread post, I too have Turbo Lister with close to 3000 listings pre setup and ready to list any time there's free listings. It took me a while to get everything set up but I just now wait and whenever I get 500 or 1000 I load up as not all items sell the first time. Even if the price is decent it sometimes takes 3 times in listing same item before it sells so to do that there's goes some decent $$$ in listings fees and then having to pay 10 percent fee on the sale. So after I got 10000 free listing offer I decided to pre make up listings on Turbo Lister and once I get a free listing invite I list them otherwise there is no way I would list 500 items and be paying listings fees knowing that items have a slim chance to sell on the first time listed.

So its eBay loss not mine, the less I list the less eBay makes from me.

Now I see eBay Canada is going to make a deal with KiJiJi Canada kind of makes me think maybe eBay is looking at KiJiJi growth over the years as KiJiJi has picked up buyers and listers. Maybe eBay is considering going UNLIMITED FREE LISTINGS but then it would loose from its store monthly service charge

Slowly I'm listing more items on KiJiJi, it's simple and free and if I do sell an item NO FEES to anyone. Not even PAYPAL as most funds are sent via family/friends.

If there's a will, there's a way and its only a matter of time that eBay comes around and changes its rules to keep sellers around cause without sellers eBay is toast.

Just in case you do not know, free eBay Turbo Lister is being discontinued in June 2017. Supposedly the new eBay Seller Hub that is only on eBay.com USA at this time will have features to replace Turbo Lister. What does that vague statement mean? I do not know. Most likely more details will be available when the 2017 Spring Seller Update comes out in March sometime.

You may have to go with a third party listing tool to save your listings. These tools cost from $5 to $25+ USD a month depending on the features and needs a seller has. Most can import Turbo Lister CSV files made with the export option in Turbo Lister to move your listing over.

One free eBay option still available at this time is eBay file Exchange. You may want to consider using that for your 3,000 listing. It is not an easy tool to learn in my opinion. For more information on File Exchange, go ask in the eBay.com Tools & Apps community forum.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I highly recommend Seller Source Book as a third party listing tool.  I don't trust eBay tools at all.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply