Item was listed and bought using Buy It Now; I cancelled; Showing as 'Sold'?

So long story short, I had an item listed which was purchased by an international buyer. The payment was not sent when the purchase was made. As I had no intention to ship internationally I cancelled the transaction. When I look at my account I see this item as a Sold item, and the total for the item shows up under my Payments - Not received section. I am also being reminded to leave feedback for the sale. 

Is this normal? I figured that cancelling the transaction should wipe it clean, however it almost seems as though the item has been sold but I am awaiting payment. I cancelled the transaction on August 19th so I'm not sure if there is a waiting period before things reset. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@craigerbombs14 wrote:

... As I had no intention to ship internationally I cancelled the transaction. When I look at my account I see this item as a Sold item, and the total for the item shows up under my Payments - Not received section.

Is this normal? I figured that cancelling the transaction should wipe it clean, however it almost seems as though the item has been sold but I am awaiting payment.

eBay normal. eBay has never gotten around to properly displaying cancelled sales. It will stop showing in 60 days.

-..-

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

@craigerbombs14 wrote:

... As I had no intention to ship internationally I cancelled the transaction. When I look at my account I see this item as a Sold item, and the total for the item shows up under my Payments - Not received section.

Is this normal? I figured that cancelling the transaction should wipe it clean, however it almost seems as though the item has been sold but I am awaiting payment.

eBay normal. eBay has never gotten around to properly displaying cancelled sales. It will stop showing in 60 days.

-..-

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

When you cancelled, did you get your FVF back?

What reason did you give for the cancellation? Some reasons will give you a Defect. This probably should have been "Problem with address" since you don't ship overseas.

Better would have been an Unpaid Item Dispute, since that also gives the deadbeat a Strike (which among other things, warns other sellers not to take his bids) and prevents him from leaving feedback.

Just saying in your Terms of Sale or Description that you do not ship overseas is not enough.

You have to specifically Block the countries (or continents) you will not ship to.

And a buyer can legitimately have an overseas location, but use a North American freight forwarder. Those buyers not only get around your Block, but are as safe to ship to as any Canadian buyer.

Your cancelled sale also counts against your selling ability. As a new seller, the number and value of your listings is restricted. The cancellation still counts in that number.

It's a learning curve.

Best wishes.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thanks for the advice ypdc_dennis and femmefan1946!

I gave the 'Problem with address' cancellation reason, but moving forward I implemented the blocking that you suggested from another thread, so hopefully that prevents any future issues.

Thanks again!
Message 4 of 4
latest reply