Listings no showing on Google

I am going through some listings to revise prices on my craft books, so I am looking for similar item on Google to see what others are charging, but mine are not appearing on there. There are listing from several other countries. Do I have to do something to have my listings show up on searches on Google?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

As a test I did a google search using "Art of English Smocking Dianne Durand"

329 thousand results of which google displayed 57 (with the rest being hidden)

Of those, 1 was for an ebay seller (not you) and 1 was for an ebay search ad.

Google searching "Art of English Smocking Dianne Durand ebay"

narrowed things down to 141 thousand hits with 61 results being displayed.

One of the top results was a link to the ebay search engine for "Smocking Book", which in turn, had your listing of "Art of English Smocking Instruction Book by Dianne Durand Smocking Plates" near the top.

Old farm saying:  Like finding the needle in a hay stack.

-;-

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

@ypdc_dennis    Nice research!   Looks like for this one, better with direct research on Ebay and Amazon.   It would also be useful to check the ratio of listings to sales and the timing of the sales.  Sounds like a lot of competition.  

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Years ago, my eBay listings always showed up in Google searches, but more recently not so...

I found that the last year I was listing on eBay, that my items( listing in the craft book,knitting/crocheting/pattern section) were not showing up in Google searchs, no where to be found and my sales were so few that it was no longer worthwhile listing on eBay...

Also found(I had been selling vinyl LP records on eBay for 16 years) that hardly any of my eBay listed vinyl was showing up on Google searches anymore and my sales on eBay were next to nothing)...for the vinyl,the first page would be all Discogs listings and my listings were NOWHERE to be found, so obviously Google prefers DISCOGS to ebay ...

Now listed on my other selling venue,many of my items(Both of these categories) are on first page of a Google search...so what does that say???

Must depend on which venue sends your items to Google or Google's preference to certain selling venues, and/or how much other competition...

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

As a test I did a google search using "Art of English Smocking Dianne Durand"

329 thousand results of which google displayed 57 (with the rest being hidden)

Of those, 1 was for an ebay seller (not you) and 1 was for an ebay search ad.

Google searching "Art of English Smocking Dianne Durand ebay"

narrowed things down to 141 thousand hits with 61 results being displayed.

One of the top results was a link to the ebay search engine for "Smocking Book", which in turn, had your listing of "Art of English Smocking Instruction Book by Dianne Durand Smocking Plates" near the top.

Old farm saying:  Like finding the needle in a hay stack.

-;-

Wonder if it makes a whole lick of difference if you search google dot ca vs google dot com?  Total agreement it's very needle in a haystack to find anything. Trial and error perfection!!

In speaking to a US seller recently, she's finding the only way she can find her items on eBay is by using the side specifics and narrowing it down. Otherwise she was way down the list.  Exception would be if you are promoting with high rates or 1 of a kind. She also was finding search is VERY color/colour sensitive for her items.

-Lotz

PS. An observation I have made is ended listings poof after the 3 months with eBay search/emails. I've discovered 3 year old plus listings I created that will fully dispay with Google. I've had past buyers find my items this way checking to see if I still had stock.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Just for the heck of it I looked to see some specifics of what you sell and then went to google to search for Aunt Martha's transfers.  The third result on google was for ebay.ca so I clicked on that, and the first 4 listings were yours.

Then I searched for Plush sewing patterns.  Ebay.com was the third result on google and when I clicked on that, the first 4 listings that came up on ebay were yours.

I don't know if I got these results because I just looked at your listings but I'll try later on my ipad and see if I get the same results as I did on my PC.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

That's strange, I tried the same searches, and not one of my listings came up, I went through a bunch of the listings up to page 6, and none were mine.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I really don't understand how things work for search...they don't seem to be consistent.

Last night I tried the same search on my ipad.  When I searched on google using those same search terms, the links that took me to ebay were for sellers in the US so I didn't get the same results.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Details from eBay Help on how search works.

How to use search | eBay

3 results.

Search results from Google on how eBay search works

how does ebay search work - Google Search

Approximately 275 M results. (Note: Your results may vary.)

Still going through the results to pinpoint  an answer.  🙂

-Lotz

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

After an exhaustive search the answer is:

-Lotz

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

It's my belief that if we Search for items, then repeat the Search, and then again repeat the Search, the algorithm will decide that the first Searches were not useful to the searcher and will show different items.

With millions of choices, this would not be difficult to change.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Your explanation was amongst the 275 M but 42 was much higher in the results.

-Lotz

Message 12 of 12
latest reply