MANAGED PAYMENTS IS COMING TO CANADA SOONER THEN YOU THINK!!

Just got this email this afternoon and it looks like eBay will be implementing the registration stage into Managed Payments in the coming weeks...

It's a good thing I changed my store subscription from yearly to monthly as of April 1st/2020 as I will have to prepare my exit strategy a little earlier then expected.

Here's the email...

eBay

Yesterday, eBay announced that later this year we will begin managing payments in Canada. We’ve been working behind the scenes to deliver this enhanced way to sell and get paid, and wanted to ensure Canadian sellers have the latest information. We recognize that the global pandemic is bringing unprecedented demands on your business and our goal is to simplify your experience with us. In the coming weeks, we will start to enable registration for some sellers whose features and tool usage is compatible with managed payments. You may receive a notice inviting you to register for eBay managed payments.

• If you receive a notification, we encourage you to register. Registration can be completed in a few simple steps. However, nothing will change in how you manage your business until your account is activated, and we will notify you in advance.
  • If you don’t receive a notification straight away, there is no action required at this time. We’re enabling sellers whose businesses match best with the features that are currently available. As we continue to expand our features, we’ll keep you informed and notify you to register when we can support the needs of your business.

Managed payments will enable a more streamlined experience for both sellers and buyers. Sellers will have one place to sell and get paid, with payouts directly deposited into your bank account. You will also have a single source for fees, customised reports, refunds, simplified protections, and expert payments support. Buyers will have more ways to pay with credit and debit cards, Apple Pay, Google Pay, PayPal and PayBright. Over the next year, eBay will progressively enable managed payments for all Canadian sellers, and our team will be on hand to assist with a smooth transition. Keep an eye on your email or My eBay Messages for more details as they become available in the next few weeks. As always, thank you for selling on

eBay.

Rob Bigler
General Manager, eBay Canada  

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: MANAGED PAYMENTS IS COMING TO CANADA SOONER THEN YOU THINK!!

When we keep US dollars in a Canadian bank we are paying foreign exchange to do so.

@reallynicestamps 

I would also like to know why you say that.  I don't see why you would pay any 'foreign exchange' fees to keep money in a $US Canadian bank account so perhaps you are referring to something that I'm not aware of?   Are you referring to when you take them out of the account and exchange into Canadian?  You would also have to do that if the money was in a US bank and you wanted to change it to Canadian. 

If I had a US$ bank account for ebay, I would also get a US$ credit card (I used to have a CIBC one) so that I could use the card to buy items in $US and to use when travelling in the US...although I don't know when that will be!

Message 61 of 68
latest reply

If it is true you could have one id for listing on .com and one for listing on .ca

Which would mean having two stores in order to have the same level of functionality.

That seems like an expensive alternative compared to currency exchange fees - unless I'm missing something here...

Plus, my listings are mirrored to other selling sites, and they don't synchronize to multiple eBay accounts.  That means having multiple selling accounts on them too - resulting in more monthly fees.

Message 62 of 68
latest reply

Hi Rob

Ebays Managed Payments and is not a fit for my Business. You will have increased fees and no additional customers. Did you stop to think that the Sellers will have to pay addional Bank Transaction Fees as well - of course you did but you don`t care. You finally increased the number of free listings which helped with lowering the overall fee percentage, but now you are clawing back and increasing the fee percentage again - whats next.

I will have no choice but close my Ebay Acount/Store and go elsewhere - Ah yes - Bonanza.com - Friendlier - much lower fees. I will be able to conduct business without the Ebay Propiganda.

Thanks for opening my eyes on who you really are! It only took me 18 years with Ebay to realize I no longer can take being abused and pushed around.

g1v2d3

Message 63 of 68
latest reply

This is a member to member forum so if  Rob is still around (original post is over a year old) it's unlikely that he will see your post.

MP is not going to work for everyone but just so you know, there are no fee chequing accounts and many of us are opening one of those just for eBay.  Tangerine and Simplee are two banks that have no fee accounts.

Are you already selling at Bonanza?  I've never sold there but from what I've heard sales are very slow there. Apparently, they use the same company as eBay is for processing payments.

Message 64 of 68
latest reply

Bonanza uses PayPal for payment processing not Adyen... 

Message 65 of 68
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

Managed Payments came already.

Rob or no Rob.

Message 66 of 68
latest reply

Good luck with Bonanza!...was there for several years, back in the day when that site actually was a good upstart site with great potential and BEFORE everything went crazy there; a pay to play site, VERY LITTLE traffic= sellers have to drive their own traffic to that site...

Best to do a thorough search and research the other options out there...and there are alternatives, options, choices....

unless things have changed since my leave from that site summer of 2017, you may be very disappointed with the Bonz site...

Message 67 of 68
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 68 of 68
latest reply