MANAGED PAYMENTS IS COMING TO CANADA SOONER THEN YOU THINK!!

Just got this email this afternoon and it looks like eBay will be implementing the registration stage into Managed Payments in the coming weeks...

It's a good thing I changed my store subscription from yearly to monthly as of April 1st/2020 as I will have to prepare my exit strategy a little earlier then expected.

Here's the email...

eBay

Yesterday, eBay announced that later this year we will begin managing payments in Canada. We’ve been working behind the scenes to deliver this enhanced way to sell and get paid, and wanted to ensure Canadian sellers have the latest information. We recognize that the global pandemic is bringing unprecedented demands on your business and our goal is to simplify your experience with us. In the coming weeks, we will start to enable registration for some sellers whose features and tool usage is compatible with managed payments. You may receive a notice inviting you to register for eBay managed payments.

• If you receive a notification, we encourage you to register. Registration can be completed in a few simple steps. However, nothing will change in how you manage your business until your account is activated, and we will notify you in advance.
  • If you don’t receive a notification straight away, there is no action required at this time. We’re enabling sellers whose businesses match best with the features that are currently available. As we continue to expand our features, we’ll keep you informed and notify you to register when we can support the needs of your business.

Managed payments will enable a more streamlined experience for both sellers and buyers. Sellers will have one place to sell and get paid, with payouts directly deposited into your bank account. You will also have a single source for fees, customised reports, refunds, simplified protections, and expert payments support. Buyers will have more ways to pay with credit and debit cards, Apple Pay, Google Pay, PayPal and PayBright. Over the next year, eBay will progressively enable managed payments for all Canadian sellers, and our team will be on hand to assist with a smooth transition. Keep an eye on your email or My eBay Messages for more details as they become available in the next few weeks. As always, thank you for selling on

eBay.

Rob Bigler
General Manager, eBay Canada  

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: MANAGED PAYMENTS IS COMING TO CANADA SOONER THEN YOU THINK!!

@brukat2005 wrote:

" 1) folks who don't use Paypal can buy from me now"

.Do you know if PayPal will still be an option for buyers, after MP is implemented, to use as a payment source?

.How will this impact sellers total fees?

I appreciate your positive attitude...as a seller, I agree that Ebay is a great way to reach customers worldwide!

Yes of course PayPal is an option for buyers to pay

To accurately compare fees one would need to know

Store / No Store

Categories used

TRS Discount yes/no

International sales yes/no

Shipping charged separately yes/no

To get a general idea.....check these pages

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/selling-fees/store-fees?id=4809

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822

Bottom line for me is that some sales have slightly higher fees, some have slightly lower fees, overall the differences are rather small,  not worth the effort to analyze at the individual transaction level.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 41 of 68
latest reply

Sellers who have (been) opted in to MP will show Paypal and various credit cards as payment options, as do those who have not, but also show ApplePay and GooglePay options which theoretically means the buyer has more ways of paying.

Message 42 of 68
latest reply

Right now Canadians listings on the US site will have the buyers payments changed to Canadian dollars so that they can deposit the money into your Canadian account.  The currency exchange fee is 3%.

In the future we will be  able to have the money deposited into a US$ account at a Canadian bank.  I'm not sure exactly how that will work.

Message 43 of 68
latest reply

@pjcdn2005  Your lips to G*d's ears!

Not sure who is filling in for G*d on this docket however. 

Message 44 of 68
latest reply

Letting Ebay have full access to my bank account  just doesn't seem logical to me.It's the same as a joint bank account with Ebay.So when they shut me down i will sadly be gone after many years.

Message 45 of 68
latest reply

They don't have "full access" any more than PayPal had "full access".

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 46 of 68
latest reply

Sad, I finally got that dreaded e-mail saying that I will be opted into Managed Payment by end of April =(

I preferred keeping my USD in USD in my Paypal account for USD purchases...

Message 47 of 68
latest reply

My email just said I needed to register my details by April 29 -- not that I would be in Managed Payments at that point... 

Edge of the cliff, rather than over the cliff...

Not looking forward to the additional effort to manage funds.  PayPal was a good tool for selling and buying on eBay.   But I do remember the early days of learning to use PayPal, so I expect learning to use MP will be just as annoying.

I have a no-fee chequing account that I don't use much, so I will dust that off for ebay use. 

Some no-fee chequing accounts for non-business ebay sellers:

* Tangerine.ca (formerly ING Direct, now owned by ScotiaBank)

* Simplii.com (formerly PC Financial, now owned by CIBC)

* Motusbank.ca (a new Canadian bank, owned by Meridian Credit Union)

-..-

-..-

Message 48 of 68
latest reply

@recped
Can the same bank account be used across multiple eBay IDs?

I have three eBay IDs and one Smplii Financial bank account. Not signed up for MP on any.

PayPal allowed up to 6 email addresses on one PayPal account. I never used that feature on PayPal except to fix a couple of items sold and I had a typo in the listing email address. I created a free Hotmail email account to add to PayPal to get the missing payments.

@tyler@ebay

Message 49 of 68
latest reply

tyler@ebay 
see my question above

Message 50 of 68
latest reply

not joining anytime soon, despite that same email that I got...have other options that don't include this mess on eBay

Message 51 of 68
latest reply

@richardcm 

I only have one account in MP at the moment but my understanding is that the same bank account can be used for multiple selling id's.

Certainly there are enough sellers using multiple id's under MP that somebody somewhere would have posted if this was not possible....I have never seen this mentioned by anyone, anywhere.

Message 52 of 68
latest reply

I thought no issues with using the bank account across more than one eBay ID. I did an eBay topic search and a Google search before I posted the question. Nothing found.

If there was a restriction I wanted to pick which eBay ID to use.

What information is in the details on the bank statement to distinguish which eBay ID was used? Do you need to reconcile the bank statement to the eBay IDs or just do not care and use eBay sales reports? I suppose you might want to know if the money was received correctly in the bank account.

Just thinking out loud here. I am planning on delaying going to MP as long as possible. Not that I am afraid of MP. Just used to PayPal and having instant access to funds.

I do not understand why some sellers are leaving eBay over MP. If you have a successful eBay account why throw it away?

I understand the concerns over eBay having access to your bank account if it is your every day banking account. I got a free PC financial account years ago to transfer PayPal funds to avoid PayPal taking back funds easily. I kept funds to a minimum.

But to stop selling on eBay over MP makes little sense to me. Getting a free online bank account for MP solves the problem in my mind.
Message 53 of 68
latest reply

I do not understand why some sellers are leaving eBay over MP. If you have a successful eBay account why throw it away?

I am speaking only for me, but I am thinking about leaving... simply because I want to have the ability to spend my US$ on US purchases and to deposit my C$ money into my bank account. I've been doing that for a long time now with PayPal.

Using my US$ for my purchases (not only on eBay but everywhere as most merchants accept PayPal) save me the exhange fees. If I continue on eBay, not only would I have to loose the exchange fees both ways, I won't even be able to decide when I want to convert my US$ into C$.

Message 54 of 68
latest reply

@lady.stark 

eBay has already announced that they plan to have a solution to the US Dollar thing. The one differernce is that funds would be transfered to a US Dollar account at a CANADIAN bank.

I expect more definitive details in  a few months.

Message 55 of 68
latest reply

Allowing Canadians sellers to keep US dollars in a Canadian US$ bank account would be a huge step in the right direction.  The potential loss of Paypal and the ability to hold US funds and either spend them directly or choose when to convert is the major issue for me.   

Message 56 of 68
latest reply

Some of us don't sell enough/bring in larger amounts of $ to warrant setting up a bank account just for eBay...

I sell elsewhere and don't need a bank account to sell on my other venues so am not choosing to enter into eBay's mess...

If my MP join date were a year or 2 down the road, I might have considered remaining with eBay because by then perhaps all the kinks/issues/problems,etc would be worked out, but definitely not willing to get involved with MP  at my deadline date, so  eBay will do without me as a seller. I have choices and I plan to use them to sell elsewhere..

Message 57 of 68
latest reply

The one differernce is that funds would be transfered to a US Dollar account at a CANADIAN bank.

Which is NOT a solution.

When we keep US dollars in a Canadian bank we are paying foreign exchange to do so.

We may as well keep the USD in loonies and skip that.

What is needed is the ability to keep USD in an American bank and to spend the money directly.

Just being able to keep a balance in MP, in multiple currencies, which PP seems capable of doing, would be the best solution.

It would also solve the problem of having yet another  payment system* in place to pay eBay monthly fees.

*Which has some misinformed sellers believing that MP will have total access to their financial doings.

Message 58 of 68
latest reply

The thing is... it is either one or the other. They won't allow 2 bank accounts. And as reallynicestamps mentionned, US funds in a Canadian bank incurs fees. It's not really a solution in that regard.

Message 59 of 68
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

The thing is... it is either one or the other. They won't allow 2 bank accounts. And as reallynicestamps mentionned, US funds in a Canadian bank incurs fees. It's not really a solution in that regard.

Well we certainly don't know that to be true at this time. If it is true you could have one id for listing on .com and one for listing on.ca.

I don't understand "US funds in a Canadian Bank incur fees"?

What fees? My US Dollars accounts have never had any extra fees (I've had them with several different financial institutions, CIBC, Scotiabank, Meridian currently).

I have US based accounts as well but only because PayPal were incapable of depositing US Funds to a Canadian bank even US  Dollar accounts. If eBay/Adyen can do this it would solve the currency conversion issue for all sellers not just the ones that were able to open accounts in the US (still possible but not as simple as it was 20 years ago and even worse with the border closed).

Message 60 of 68
latest reply