Mammy cookie Jars

I have a few Mammy cookie jars I was going to list but am not sure if they are considered racial

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Mammy cookie Jars

Mammy Jars Mock Black People. Why Are They Still Collected?

Racist objects, created as propaganda tools during the Jim Crow era, reflect ugly stereotypes about black people. Yet some people see nostalgia, not dehumanization, in the memorabilia.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/27/arts/mammy-jars-black-history-month.html

I see none for sale on eBay, nor have any sold recently...

...we live in a society of overly sensitive people, even Aunt Jemima got "retired".

Would I list items like this? No, not worth the ...

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Mammy cookie Jars

@hot-deals22 wrote:

I have a few Mammy cookie jars I was going to list but am not sure if they are considered racial

Items considered "Confederate" can be blocked. Where as Dukes of Hazzard items are not. Like who knew!! Back later. Off to watch the movie if I can find it!! 🤣

-Lotz

As per eBay:

"eBay is a global marketplace and community and we continually monitor the approximately 800 million items on our site, and evaluate our policies to ensure they are consistent with our core purpose. We have decided to prohibit Confederate flags, and many items containing this image, because we believe it has become a contemporary symbol of divisiveness and racism. This decision is consistent with our long-standing policy that prohibits items that promote or glorify hatred, violence and racial intolerance."

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Mammy cookie Jars

I don't think they would be allowed.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Mammy cookie Jars

I believe eBay removed the Black Americana category in 2020 and these types of memorabilia are no longer allowed to be listed on eBay.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Offensive-Materials-Policy-Update/m-p/31015263#M1609128

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Mammy cookie Jars

The Black Americana category is still on eBay but they do seem to monitor it fairly carefully.  I've read about a few  listings in that category being removed because they were considered offensive and  I'm fairly sure that a Mammy cookie jar would be removed too.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Mammy cookie Jars

I know at least on "Black Americana" item I sold many many years ago went to a museum specializing in Black History.

For the moment, at least, it is polite not to insult people by offering rude caricatures whether those are in the form of "mammy" cookie jars, or gollywog dolls and books, or any other vulgarity.

Mind your manners.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply