Missing categories

I seem to have messed up my eBay search page. I am missing the "categories" column on the left of the page when I open a search. There is no condition, price, delivery option, sold etc.

I don't know what I have done, but I want to find what items sold for.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Missing categories

Do a search on eBay.com and you get everything associated  with that search.

Now go to the top left corner of the page  and click on.....  shop by category .... to the right of  that four color ebay logo....

and the left navigation column pops up....

------------------------------------------

You can start a search using that ... shop by category..... option...  where the left navigation column pops up

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Missing categories

Thank you, that worked

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Missing categories

This type of thing was reported earlier this week. Apparently, they are testing a new ‘experience’ on eBay.com.

You’re seeing this on eBay USA, right?
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Missing categories

Yes, on .com, I hope they soon get it fixed, before I list something I like to see what comps. sold for.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Missing categories

Must have been a glitch. I just checked and all seem to be working now.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Missing categories

Do a search on eBay.com and you get everything associated  with that search.

Now go to the top left corner of the page  and click on.....  shop by category .... to the right of  that four color ebay logo....

and the left navigation column pops up....

------------------------------------------

You can start a search using that ... shop by category..... option...  where the left navigation column pops up

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Missing categories

Thank you, that worked

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Missing categories

The left navigation column shows up.... BUT... One cannot do a search with that left navigation column visible.

Still  a  Big mess to do a search on eBay.com

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Missing categories

@cumos55 wrote:

The left navigation column shows up.... BUT... One cannot do a search with that left navigation column visible.

Still  a  Big mess to do a search on eBay.com

Yes, we need it fixed!

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Missing categories

Four years ago, I predicted ebay would be soon hiding Sold data. With Sold Items, ebay is giving away for free what most marketplace analysts would consider very valuable information. Instead, they are moving that intelligence to 'Pricing suggestions' within Seller Hub. 

I highly doubt this feature will be coming back. 

In fact, I would suggest hiding half the page on that side was the smoke-and-mirrors designed to distract us from the true intentions. Like, the plan was to remove Solds all along but they took Categories with it so that when everyone complains, they'll say they listened and give us the less-important Categories back.

To be honest, this change doesn't really affect me. I rarely if ever check Solds to see what other sellers charge and whether or not they were successful because, being a Canadian seller, I can't compare myself to anyone else. Only I know my profit margins. And I consider that private; I felt like Sold Items was an invasion of my privacy and confidential business information anyway. 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Missing categories

You can still find that Sold information under Advanced Search.

Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 12.22.39 PM.png

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Missing categories

@momcqueen wrote:

To be honest, this change doesn't really affect me. I rarely if ever check Solds to see what other sellers charge and whether or not they were successful because, being a Canadian seller, I can't compare myself to anyone else. Only I know my profit margins. And I consider that private; I felt like Sold Items was an invasion of my privacy and confidential business information anyway. 

This is a lot more than not being able to check off sold items on the left side as this is part of the change that is mentioned on other threads. If it stays the way it is, it could affect everyone.  For example, if I do a search for womens shoes, there are a few options at the top that can help narrow down the search but many of the choices that  used to be on the left side don't seem to be available on .com right now.

The following are missing (or I can't find them):

Condition - new, used etc.

Width

Color

Heel height

Material

Free shipping

Free returns

Also missing are the different categories that are showing in that search. On .ca it tells me that the results I am seeing or in specific categores such as  clothing, shoes and accessories: sporting goods; home and garden; collectible and others. 

I realize that I could narrow the search down with key words but I don't see the way that it is set up now as any sort of improvement for buyers or sellers.

Also missing is the option on that search page to customize the search view. 

Another example that would likely affect buyers that are searching on .com

Search - Disney frozen stickers

On .ca the search results in 4000 listings and the left side shows a number of categories that I can choose to narrow down the search. If I click on toys and hobbies, I immediately see one of your listings.

On .com I have no idea how many search results there are and there are zero categories on the left side so I don't have a way to narrow the search via category.

I am

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Missing categories

That’s not lost on me. I’m responding to the Original Poster’s concern about Solds missing. See Message One. “ I seem to have messed up my eBay search page. I am missing the "categories" column on the left of the page when I open a search. There is no condition, price, delivery option, sold etc. I don't know what I have done, but I want to find what items sold for.”

Maybe my other thoughts on this development were reflected in the other thread on this...? Anyway, they’re there if you want to learn more.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Missing categories

No, it's not in another thread; it's in the same Message as the one you are quoting but it is the rest of it which you've not quoted. Please then allow me to quote myself : '...In fact, I would suggest hiding half the page on that side was the smoke-and-mirrors designed to distract us from the true intentions. Like, the plan was to remove Solds all along but they took Categories with it so that when everyone complains, they'll say they listened and give us the less-important Categories back."

In ebay's mind, I would suggest that Categories or Conditions being searchable is NOT important because of the Product Catalogue being rolled out.

Therefore, I will re-assert what I've already said in that I am not downplaying the rest of what changed on that side of the page along with the Solds disappearing. 

Was there a reason you thought to take my comments in particular out of context? Or were you hoping to merely assert you think this change is a step backwards? 

For the record, I rarely if ever use those fields to narrow my search and I do, in fact, type what I want to find in the title search since finding (on the day I joined ebay as a buyer) that many casual sellers don't use those fields at left correctly when listing items. 

I would be willing to wager that ebay knows the only folks who bother with those side categories are the experienced users; they probably have data to suggest its removal won't be noticed by many casual buyers like the 68 million that do not visit the Discussion Boards to make note of all changes on the site.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Missing categories

The left navigation column is back on eBay.com ! ! ! 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply