Modifications to Variation/Seller Refurbished vs eBay Refurbished requirements.

Heads up to anyone this applies to. This showed up in my eBay mail this morning. Unsure of the comment where eBay states will end listings, if that means they will be purged or end up in a sellers ended listing folder. A straight forward way to identify any affected listings to repair without using Bulk Editing would be greatly appreciated. A tool like the one that is available for duplicate listings would be most helpful. 

Thanks,

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Update your listing condition

Hi "insert name here",

We have made some changes since the launch of eBay Refurbished and are expanding into additional categories. Based on this, you will need to update your current eBay listings. Detailed instructions are below.

Seller Refurbished listings to be moved to Used
To assure consistent seller standards and item quality, the Seller Refurbished item condition will be removed in the categories found here after March 6th, 2023.

To ensure a smooth transition on March 6th, we encourage you to not create any new listings in the above categories within the Seller Refurbished condition and move current Seller Refurbished condition listings to the Used condition before March 3rd, 2023. After this date, the eBay team will move them to Used and end any listings with errors.

Multi SKU variant options will be removed
To reduce buyer confusion and create a more consistent shopping experience across Item Conditions, condition-and grade-related variants (e.g., "very good," "good," "Grade A," "Grade B") as custom multi-SKU variant options will be removed in the listing experience for the categories found here. This change will occur on March 6th, 2023 and it will be permanent.

To ensure a smooth transition on March 6th, we encourage you to remove conditions and grades as variants in your listings starting today, and to update your item descriptions to accurately describe the product condition.

For any listings with condition or grade related Multi-SKU variants within these categories, you will need to create new listings for each variation by March 6th, 2023. After this date any listings still containing condition or grade related Multi-Sku variants will be ended.

If you use a third-party tool to manage your listings on eBay, we recommend you work with your third-party partner to update your existing listings or to create new ones before the dates above based on category. If you use eBay listing tools, we recommend the following approach:

• Create a new listing for each condition variation (Grade A, Grade B, etc.) in the Used item condition.

• Identify the condition variation in your listing title and item description. Examples of a strong title: "Dell Desktop 16GB RAM 512GB SSD 3.3GHZ Intel QuadCore Integrated Graphics Windows 10 Grade A"

Pro tip: Use Promoted Listings for your newly created listings in search

Learn more about minimum requirements for the upcoming eBay Refurbished expansion and apply to qualify.

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

The eBay Selling Team

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

byto253
Community Member

I actually do not mind this change, as it puts some meaning behind an item listed as refurbished.  A lot of people use it for items that are just cleaned up and tested as working.  I have had bad luck a couple of times with "refurb" headphones that were junk.  

I see people use refurb for vintage audio gear that clearly does not apply.   I have never used it , even with good value gear that I have had a technician go over and set to the original factory specification.

My guess is that this is aimed at the pallet buy resellers that are generating a lot of volume and I expect a lot of INRs, which is not good for ebay as a whole. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@byto253 wrote:

I actually do not mind this change, as it puts some meaning behind an item listed as refurbished.  A lot of people use it for items that are just cleaned up and tested as working.  I have had bad luck a couple of times with "refurb" headphones that were junk.  

I see people use refurb for vintage audio gear that clearly does not apply.   I have never used it , even with good value gear that I have had a technician go over and set to the original factory specification.

My guess is that this is aimed at the pallet buy resellers that are generating a lot of volume and I expect a lot of INRs, which is not good for ebay as a whole. 

@byto253 

In my collection of current listings I have a quantity of items that I personally cleaned and refurbished to like new condition. I chose the option that best applied when I created the listing. There is no way as per facebook help to locate/separate these items easily. As for items with variations, this will make it very difficult for shoppers to see everything that is available from the seller they are searching in a streamlined way if each variation requires its own unique listing. Plus the time involved to fix.

On both ca and com there is no way to sort/locate items that fall under these headings. The sidebar options are New, Used and Unspecified. No Refurbished.

-Lotz

As a side, for many sellers when creating a listing they use the choice they feel best applies. Maybe not always accurate but what they make as a best guess is applicable. Similar to inadvertently listing something in the wrong category. It happens.

And how many sellers can afford to have items sent to be certified refurbished? 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

And how many sellers can afford to have items sent to be certified refurbished? 

A bigger issue might be whether the companies that refurbish them actually provide a better product. Some large tech stores are famous for providing "professionally cleaned and refurbished" products that have clumps of dust sticking out of ventilation holes, dirt on the cases, etc.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies   That is ugly. So IMHO not a terrible idea because shysters have ruined it for the honest folks like yourself, but the implementation is horrid for sellers if you can't search out these listings.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@byto253 

Both situations seem to be a fee grab. Certifying stuff and splitting listings into individual listings. As sellers we have heard the horror stories on how difficult it is to combine. Making that statement after reading how iffy it will be to get combined shipping (all scenarios)  using the new International program from USA.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 6
latest reply