Need help - WWYD?

I just got a message from a buyer that the envelope arrived with no CD in it.  He stated that the edge of the envelope was wide open.  I asked the buyer to send me pictures of the envelope but he said that the mailman took it with him. He said he guesses he has to eat the cost. 

WWYD? 

I could send him another of the same CD, I could split the cost with the buyer and refund 50% or I could do nothing.  This is not a new buyer, he has 253 feedback and has been a member since 2011.  I could also give him the choice of sending a new CD to him or 50% refund.  It would be cheaper for me to send him another CD.

Any advice would be appreciated.  

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Need help - WWYD?

It is odd that the mailman took it with him, unless he was going to see if the CD could be found in his truck or back at the PO. 

I treat these the same as an INR, it comes out of the cookie jar/insurance.

If it were me, I would just send another, no charge to the buyer.

If they were polite and positive, I would not block them. If they were a pain, I would block them.

It might be worthwhile asking him if he knows why the mailman took it - ie if the reason is to see if it can be found then it would make sense to delay sending the replacement until the search is completed (I would suggest to the buyer to wait until the postman reports back and if it is still MIA I'd send the free replacement then).

PS it might also be an indication that you need to use reinforced envelopes or pack them differently if the CDs are currently able to "escape"...this would be especially true if other similar things happen over time....

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Need help - WWYD?

He said that the postman took it because he was wanting to see if he could find it.   

Thanks for your advice.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Need help - WWYD?

Then for sure I would let him know if the postman can't find it you'll be happy to send a free replacement.

The buyer will be ecstatic that they don't burn and it will also mean they will be very likely to remember you when they need more!

(I have acquired some excellent repeat customers by doing something like this that they appreciate and remember and they keep coming back!)

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Need help - WWYD?

but he said that the mailman took it with him.

Why would he need the envelope for that?  Surely he would just be looking for or asking if anyone had seen a loose CD lying about?

That being said, based on the cost of the CD to you, which is cheaper, shipping the other CD you have in stock or refunding him in full?

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Need help - WWYD?

what type of envelope was used, was it one that was licked shut, because they can open. or was it taped shut,  either way, you will have to make it right. i know cd mailers are expensive, so i assume you aren't using them.. do what ever the buyer request's, and will cost you less money out of pocket.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Need help - WWYD?

The business about not sending a picture of the envelope really makes no sense.  That is:  Why would the mail man take it but also, if that's not true, why not send a picture of an empty envelope?   Either way it makes no sense.

I received an empty opened envelope in the past so I know that happens.   Felt very odd because I knew the seller would think I was lying if I told her the whole truth so I didn't mention it and just filed an "Item Not Received" case, but just so you know it does happen.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Need help - WWYD?

RETHINKING THIS, A MAILMAN WOULDN'T EVEN LOOK TWICE, AT THE ENVELOPE, THEY WOULD JUST PUT IT IN THE MAILBOX. JUST MY OPINION.  Sorry for the caps.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Need help - WWYD?

It is cheaper sending him another one.  The postman took it as there was nothing inside it, it was just an envelope and told the customer to refuse it.  This is how it shows up on the tracking.   It is being returned to me as there was nothing in it.  Since the postman spoke with him and just didn't leave it in his mailbox, this is believable.  Also I used paper Kraft envelopes that must have come apart at the seam.

returned.jpg

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Need help - WWYD?

Technically, I believe, when the buyer refuses the delivery, you don't have to refund.

Not saying you shouldn't refund, just that you would probably win a case.

Still, the buyer may be telling the truth. What would he do with two identical CDs?

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Need help - WWYD?

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @musicyouneed - want to toss my own two cents out here for your consideration!

It's poor advice from the mailman to ask the buyer to refuse the package, as this definitely voids their protection through eMBG. 

However, all in all, if it's something your Cookie Jar insurance can take a hit on, I think @ricarmic gave you some great advice - sending a replacement could make a repeat customer out of a frustrating situation. 

Keep us posted on how this goes!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Need help - WWYD?

@musicyouneed wrote:

It is cheaper sending him another one.  The postman took it as there was nothing inside it, it was just an envelope and told the customer to refuse it.  This is how it shows up on the tracking.   It is being returned to me as there was nothing in it.  Since the postman spoke with him and just didn't leave it in his mailbox, this is believable.  Also I used paper Kraft envelopes that must have come apart at the seam.

My vote goes with the "send free replacement" crowd. I would not bother the customer with more questions, just send the replacement asap. Once shipped, message the buyer with a nice note stating what you've done and why.

I've seen envelope seams that don't look very secure. About 5 years ago I purchased several cases of rigid kraft envelopes that over time began to look quite suspect, ended up taping the last hundred or so.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Need help - WWYD?

I've been very pleased with the quality of the poly envelopes we get with the eBay TRS shipping coupon. I've used both the plain and the bubble ones and they work well.

The nice thing about poly envelopes is that they are very tough. Also waterproof which is important to me selling books and selling patterns, especially as we go into the rainy season here in Victoria.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Need help - WWYD?

The only thing I've been unhappy with regarding their envelopes is the sealing glue.

I use the bubble envelopes. The glue strips only go to about a half an inch from the edge instead of right to the edge of the sealing flap (on one side or the other it wavers). This means the edges are flapping in the wind so to speak, so I put scotch tape on them to avoid them getting caught. I would much rather they ditch the 2nd "to reuse it" strip and make the glue strip go to the edges like whoever the folks are that make them for uline.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Need help - WWYD?

Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice.  I did mail him a new one, sent the tracking # to him today.  It is not his fault that the CD wasn't in the envelope.  He was very pleased.  Hopefully I have made a repeat customer for life.

I am now taping up all sides of the envelopes so it won't happen in future, unless of course someone cuts it open. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply