New Seller - Shipping Help

I would like to start selling some of my trading card collection (to US/Canada only) at ~5 listings a month. To begin with, I will be doing <$50 listings.

Canada Post's cheapest estimates I got for a tracked packet:
7x5" bubble mailer <2cm height, 75g = $17
7x5" bubble mailer <2cm height, 150g = $22

My questions:
1. How much would I save shipping through eBay (Shippo)?
2. Is shipping through PayPal better?
3. I see people talking about Snap Ship from Canada Post - is this available to casual sellers like myself? Is it better than Shippo/PayPal?
4. I know flatter is better for lettermail, but is it also better for parcels?
5. What happens to a package if I miscalculate my shipping fees (e.g. I think a bubble mailer is <2cm, but CP says it isn't)?
6. In your opinion, what price should a listing be to get the Signature option? Guy at the post office said cheapest tracking option with signature would be over $30.
7. Is tracking overkill for a $50 listing? Non-registered lettermail would be cost-effective but I am scared of getting an INR and negative feedback.

I am already scared of getting scammed by buyers but I am completely overwhelmed with navigating shipping options. I barely send letters, let alone packages that could destroy my eBay rep.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

@vroot_schroot9 wrote:

I would like to start selling some of my trading card collection (to US/Canada only)
Canada Post's cheapest estimates I got for a tracked packet:
7x5" bubble mailer <2cm height, 75g = $17
7x5" bubble mailer <2cm height, 150g = $22
My questions:
1. How much would I save shipping through eBay (Shippo)?
2. Is shipping through PayPal better?
3. I see people talking about Snap Ship from Canada Post - is this available to casual sellers like myself? Is it better than Shippo/PayPal?

1. eBay.ca has discounts through Shippo for

* Expedited Parcel in Canada (which includes tracking and $100 of insurance, )

* Tracked Packet USA (minimum size is 14cm by 9cm, no thickness restriction, max weight of 1kg, tracking and $100 insurance)

* Expedited Parcel USA (minimum size is 21cm by 14cm, no thickness restriction, max weight of 30kg, tracking and $100 insurance w/additional insurance available)

* for everything else (at the moment) the prices are the same if you buy through PayPal or Canada Post's SnapShip. Over-the-counter will be more expensive.

2. It's your personal preference. Pro: pay immediately from your PayPal balance. Con: PayPal only offers some Canada Post shipping choices. PayPal has no eBay discounts.

3. SnapShip is available to anyone that has a credit card and is signed up for the free Canada Post Solutions for Small Business membership. The membership gives you discounts from the over-the-counter rates.  The membership is free and well worth it (don't let the Small Business part of the title worry you).

4. Parcels have minimum size requirements -- it's much easier to lose a small parcel. Small packet and tracked packet are 14cm x 9cm with expedited being larger at 21cm x 14cm. Sturdy is important when sent as a parcel (so it can survive being hit by other parcels).

Oversize lettermail USA (stamp rate, taxes extra):

100g - $2.95

200g - $5.15

500g - $10.30

Small Packet USA:

100g$6.84, Over-the-counter: $7.18

250g - $8.49, Over-the-counter: $8.78

500g - $11.15, Over-the-counter: $11.52

1.0kg - $16.59, Over-the-counter: $17.16

Shippo, PayPal and SnapShip all have the same discount.

Tracked Packet USA

eBay/Shippo has the best discounted rate. PayPal is the same as Canada Post.

Examples (Ontario to Washington state with January fuel surcharge included):

100g - Shippo: $11.96,  PayPal or CPC online: $13.22, Over-the-counter: $14.04

250g - Shippo: $15.25,  PayPal or CPC online: $16.86, Over-the-counter: $17.90

500g - Shippo: $16.44,  PayPal or CPC online: $18.17, Over-the-counter: $19.38

1.0kg - Shippo: $18.73, PayPal or CPC online: $20.69, Over-the-counter: $22.03

The fuel surcharge is adjusted once per month.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Personally, I would not recommend bubble envelopes for trading cards, the mailer would have to be stiffened anyway so you may as well use a rigid mailer. NEVER use bubble mailers for Regular Lettermail.

5. What happens to a package if I miscalculate my shipping fees (e.g. I think a bubble mailer is <2cm, but CP says it isn't)?

CP has the ability to collect additional shipping charges through PayPal after the parcel enters the mail stream. They will recover lost fees if a parcel's weight and dimensions are reported incorrectly at the time of label purchase.

6. In your opinion, what price should a listing be to get the Signature option? Guy at the post office said cheapest tracking option with signature would be over $30.

Very, very few sellers buy signature confirmation unless the selling price is very substantially above $50. Maybe for a $500 sale. The buyers in the category you would be selling in are a relatively reliable and honest group of buyers so signature confirmation would rarely be beneficial.

7. Is tracking overkill for a $50 listing? Non-registered lettermail would be cost-effective but I am scared of getting an INR and negative feedback.

In the Collectibles category yes, imo tracking is overkill and you will be priced out of the market if your shipping rates are that expensive. Lettermail if properly handled is just as reliable as tracked services, maybe even more reliable. Definitely use printed address labels so the machines make no mistakes scanning hand written addresses. Proper address formatting is also important. If at all possible deliver to A CP counter, not a roadside mailbox. My losses using Lettermail as described above have been virtually nothing, this includes International addresses too. Personally, I will sometimes upgrade to a tracked service at my own expense when the item value exceeds $100 . Usually though, I self-insure.
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I also would NOT use a bubble mailer as they can bend. Using a regular kraft envelope and sandwiching the cards between cardboards would be more sturdy, and I would write “Please do not bend” on the envelope. I assume you have the cards in card sleeves - tape the cards onto the cardboard so that it doesn’t slide around. Regular letter mail would suffice if it’s under 2cm.

Tracking for $50 would be overkill as it’s too expensive. Personally I don’t go for tracking unless it’s $150 or above. You could consider making them a bigger and more expensive lot if you want tracking to better justify the price.

Shipping supplies are much cheaper at dollar stores. They’re very overpriced at the Canada Post outlets.
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Thank you everyone for the detailed replies! This is honestly stressing me out so much, I really do appreciate the time and effort you guys put into helping noobs like me 😄

A few more questions:
1. For small parcels or lettermail, will I pay more in shipping for a parcel with maximum dimensions vs a parcel with minimum dimensions (assuming weight is the same)?
2. I am practicing making a listing and I notice I can have multiple options for shipping. Is there a link that thoroughly explains what each shipping option offers? Do you guys think multiple shipping options is a good idea?
3. One of my biggest issues with packing is a lot of what I want to sell are sets of 36+ cards. To get under the 2cm rule, I have to split them into 2 bundles (here's a photo). There is going to be structural weakness in the middle of the letter/package. Do you guys think cardboard will be strong enough for this?

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

1. For small packets, you go by weight , so as long as your total dimensions is under 90cm, the price is the same for the particular weight. For lettermail, if it's over 100g it'd go as oversized lettermail.

Here is a handy table for weight references for n00bs grimacing They are over-the-counter rate so the lettermail rates are accurate. If you use small packet or tracked packet then you can get a slightly cheaper rate with a Solution for Small Business account / shippo / paypal etc.
https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/2018-over-the-counter-Canada-Post-rates-chart-under-2kg/...

2. For something as straightforward as collectible cards, having multiple shipping options would probably make things too confusing. Buyers are most likely to just pick whatever is the cheapest shippingoption. I really don't think Sailor Moon collectible cards are a high theft category, unless you have a super rare card in pristine condition, so I'd just go with regular lettermail... I would even just make the listing with "free" shipping (cost of shipping integrated into price) to keep things simple. 

3. As mentioned in my previous post, if you sandwich them between TWO cardboard (obviously flat ones, not ones that are already bent), they'll survive. I would even split them into 4 bundles instead of just 2, since 36+ cards will probably push you into 100g or 200g anyway (oversized lettermail) and you can use a bigger envelope and cardboard. Make sure you actually put those cards into another small plastic bag and wrap them tightly, before taping them onto the cardboard so that they don't slide. Tape them onto a cardboard and give the cardboard a good shake. If it still looks sturdy on there, then you're good.

4. If you plan to sell quite a bit, I suggest buying a small digital scale so that you can weight things at home instead of going to the postal outlet everytime to test weigh. I bought one when it was on sale at Canadian Tire years ago for less than $20 (http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/starfrit-5-kg-digital-kitchen-scale-0424076p.html) and it's the best thing I have bought. A mere 1g difference could push you into the next weight class, doubling your shipping cost. It's usually accurate by less than 1-2g differences when it gets weighed at the postal outlet. I have only had to change the battery ONCE over 5+ years of use. With the scale, you can put the cards together with the envelope and cardboard and whatever packaging you'll use, to make sure your total weight is right under 100g/200g/etc. 

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

. For small parcels or lettermail, will I pay more in shipping for a parcel with maximum dimensions vs a parcel with minimum dimensions (assuming weight is the same)?

Every package that fits within the minimum/maximum dimensions ships  for the same price.

But the price will vary based on destination.

Domestic parcel rates are Regional and National

2. I am practicing making a listing and I notice I can have multiple options for shipping. Is there a link that thoroughly explains what each shipping option offers?

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Do you guys think multiple shipping options is a good idea?

I prefer to offer only one option to my customers.

If they want it faster, they can ask, and I can change it-- including the cost.

If they don't want tracking, too bad. Tracking is a Seller Protection. Anyone asking for a cheaper untracked service is asking for a free doohickey, which they will get after the Item Not Received Dispute.

Many sellers disagree.

3. One of my biggest issues with packing is a lot of what I want to sell are sets of 36+ cards. To get under the 2cm rule, I have to split them into 2 bundles (here's a photo). There is going to be structural weakness in the middle of the letter/package. Do you guys think cardboard will be strong enough for this?

Yes.

Make sure the holes in the cardboard run east /west if the packages are separated north /south.

And while I'm here on your doorstep-- may I share with you the Good News about Cookie Jar Insurance.

Basically this is self-insurance, reserving a few pennies, rarely more than a dime, from every sale as a premium you toss into the virtual Cookie Jar.

If a problem arises you use the pennies in the Cookie Jar to cover your expenses.

A 'return for refund' situation, where the Cookie Jar covers your loss on shipping and return shipping.

Damage in transit, that was caused by your own packaging.

Items claimed to be lost in transit (Item Not Received). The postal system is really very good at their jobs, but there can be delays and porch theft and scamming buyers.

But Don't Panic.

You'll see a lot of problems on these Boards, but put those in perspective : eBay has 140 million transactions a day. Problems really are few and far between.

DON'T PANIC copy.jpeg

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Alright, I think you guys have given me enough information to send out my items with reasonable confidence. Thank you everyone for your patience with me! I am overly anxious in general, so prefer to err on the side of caution 🙂

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Best of luck to you. I think we’ve all assumed you’ll be listing via eBay.ca as opposed to eBay.com but if you choose eBay.com, you may want to review this thread about an Estimated Date of Delivery (EDD) loophole that allows buyers to open Items Not Received (INR) cases after merely seven calendar days. https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/OMG-a-buyer-is-asking-about-where-his-CD-is-and-it-has-o...

It pertains to lettermail such as you’d be using. Untracked.
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Yes, I've been reading that thread as it unfolds. I'm just gonna list on ebay.ca. This has taken up more of my time than I expected without registering on other ebay sites lol. Honestly, I went into this thinking "kijiji but online!" and now it's more like "your 10-year account will be destroyed!". Whew!
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

The fact you’ve used eBay for ten years puts you leaps and bounds ahead of many new sellers. And it’s obvious that you’re conscientious. You’ll do very well. You’re learning the rules so you can follow them and that’s all eBay can ask of you.
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@vroot_schroot9wrote:
Yes, I've been reading that thread as it unfolds. I'm just gonna list on eBay.ca. This has taken up more of my time than I expected without registering on other eBay sites lol. Honestly, I went into this thinking "kijiji but online!" and now it's more like "your 10-year account will be destroyed!". Whew!

Your eBay ID and password account is valid on all eBay sites.

When setting up the eBay.ca site settings some settings are universal, some not. For example, most of your Buyer Requirements are universal. Setting up country blocks is universal. Since shipping is dependent on the shipping options for the eBay site, some shipping settings are not universal.

When using another site, you need to subscribe to tools on that site. For example, a seller on eBay.ca can subscribe to free eBay Selling Manager and it is only seen on eBay.ca. If you were to log into eBay.com USA, your would subscribe to the Seller Hub which is a replacement for Selling Manager. The Seller Hub is supposed to come to eBay.ca this year apparently.

Since you are a new seller, are you opted into eBay Business Policies automatically? If so, they are site dependent.

If you do sell a lot, please note that a seller get the same number of free listings on both eBay.ca Canada and eBay.com USA. So for a free account, you have 50 free on eBay.ca and 50 free on eBay.com USA. You may want to consider using eBay.com USA once you have more experience selling. Selling on eBay.com USA is a bit different because there are no Canad Post shipping options since USPS is their country postal system. A seller has to use generic shipping options in listings there and use a flat rate shipping cost and use a Canada Post shipping option to ship to the USA. As mentioned before, wait until you have more experience selling on eBay.ca Canada before using eBay.com USA.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Back for more questions:

Let's say I decide to track anything over $100. Buyer wins 2 auctions that, combined, equal to over $100. Do I just absorb the extra shipping cost or is there a better way to do this?

Also, can I use Shippo for tracked packages if I offer Free Shipping?

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

You can’t charge a buyer more for shipping than you state in the listing so if they buy two $50 items with $3 postage and you decide to track the package, you’re funding the difference between cost of postage with tracking and $6. It’s important to price your items accordingly.

And, yes. Shippo is a postage, provider. It doesn’t care what you charged for postage. It gives you an eBay discount on eBay transactions but you can use it to print any label that you want.
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Thanks for clearing that up for me, momcqueen!
Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Take a bubble wrapper.

Bend it in half.

This is why bubble envelopes are not good for shipping things that can be bent.

If you cards are in stiff plastic holders, bubble envelopes will help prevent the plastic from cracking.

If no a 'postcard slip' and a stiff piece of cardboard in an ordinary envelope will be safer.

By the way, some of the best discounts on shipping come from using discounted mint postage purchased here on eBay. You can buy get some reallynice discounts on stamps that way. 

Message 16 of 16
latest reply