No sales for days - then 7 in one day... ???

Ever get a "wave" of sales between really, really dead periods? Is it a coincidence, or is it by design???

I'm convinced that Ebay's search engine is preventing buyers from finding my listings - that is, UNTIL someone else buys something... then all of a sudden, my listings become very visible. For a day. Then they go back to the usual dead...

I have nothing promoted, no offers, and nothing ending in the next 2 days, so I can't imagine what else it could be other than a consistent trend...

Ideas?
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I've noticed other and similar type things, in my world:

Someone buys stamps from Lebanon, within a couple days a number of other Lebanon stamp lots sell. (Lebanon lots normally move slowly)

Someone from BELGIUM buys some stamps, within a couple days a number of other buyers from Belgium have also bought stamps from me.  (Rarely do I have Belgian buyers)

Someone buys 20 different lots of stamps from me, often a number of other sales happen in rapid succession afterward too.

The mysteries of the search engine will never be known (by us at least) but for sure, if the search engine thinks something or someone has become popular, it certainly seems to put it out there moreso....

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Very interesting, and definitely consistent with the strange sales similarities I see! But up until now, I've only ever seen sold items create repeat sales - but never buyer location- driven repeat biz!!!
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I hope the wave happens to me soon too!  I have zero sales this entire month, which is exceptionally slow for me (usually I get at least a couple sales per month). 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

The country specific ones are easy to notice for smaller countries. (A couple weeks ago I sold a bunch of stuff to Israel, that's often a scary country to ship to, I wasn't as fond of becoming popular as a good source for stuff going there).

I've also noticed a bunch of sales to "Chicago" around the same time as well, so there must also be regional aspects to the "magic wand" used to identify hot material.

I guess it makes sense, if something sells to someone in Belgium, (or Chicago), it would make sense that that same stuff might also be interesting to other Belgians/Chicagoians at the same time, at least enough of a chance that it makes sense to throw it in front of more of them...

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

I agree, same experience 

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

This has happened to me twice. Both times 7 days apart. The 1st time I came in from leaving the office for a half hour and when I came back my phone litrally Ka Chinged 3 times non stop. Then nothing for another week. Then 3 sales. 

Here's a new one for you...

Zombie listing... 

I just listed a vintage Camcorder magazine. No issues. Shows in Active listings and shows in my store and is an easy Ebay search. Then I listed a vtg Videomaker (camcorder) magazine almost identical. This shows up in my active listings but it doesn't show up in my store. I tweak and tweak. Check to see if it got "scheduled" or something. Nothings wrong. I wait a couple hours. No sign of it in my store. I checked categories etc. Search it on eBay. No sign of it. Search it on google... Nadda.. It shows in my active listings but got no views in 24 hours and is unsearchable. I ended the listing and relisted it 3 times. Zombie. 

The next day I list another same Videomaker magazine just a few months diff from the zombie. . No issues. Shows in Active listings above the zombie and it shows normally in my store. I take the new and working listing and try doing a sell similar re-entering all the details from the zombie.  When dine I end & delete the zombie. I get the same issue with the sell similar created from the healthy listing.  shows in my Actives but not in my store.

I start from scratch and  upload all new photos and description and condition. Zombie again...

This has been goin on for 2 days. Going to give in and call customer support after listing some more stuff or maybe just throw the haunted magazine in the recycling...

IT

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

I noticed weird variance in sales as well. It's been like this for a while for me... Sales every day for 10 days, 1 sale in the next 10 days, selling every day 10 days, 1 sale in the next 10 days, that sort of tendancy

I thought it was my market or just the way ebay activities are but now i wonder

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Totally, sales sporratic for me. 

For me also I noticed that as soon as I get a defect, sales drop off.  This has happened to me several times and is so noticeable.  I had one defect last month and it has really affected my Christmas Sales.  Last Nov, I had 79 Sales, this Nov I have had 28.  In 2018, I had 88 sales, 2017, I had 64 sales, in 2016, sold 73 sales.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Totally, sales sporratic for me. 

For me also I noticed that as soon as I get a defect, sales drop off.  This has happened to me several times and is so noticeable.  I had one defect last month and it has really affected my Christmas Sales.  Last Nov, I had 79 Sales, this Nov I have had 28.  In 2018, I had 88 sales, 2017, I had 64 sales, in 2016, sold 73 sales.

@teenytrinkets 

Pre Category Specifics updates 90 sales per 90 days... 2/3rds from eBay searches. Currently sitting at 35 sales for past 90 days. Current traffic is 2/3 rds from outside of eBay. Unfortunately these numbers do not warrant a thank you card to google.

My sales $ are down this year approximately 50% compared to previous year.

-Lotz

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

My sales $ are down this year approximately 50% compared to previous year.

This is definitely a much slower Christmas season than any other since I have been on eBay and I'm sure that some of that is attributed to search changes.  But I don't think that one can compare just this year to last year considering stores were not open for part of 2020 and many people were doing all of their shopping from home.  I think that people want to get out and about now.  

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

My observations/decrease in sales are directly tied to the Category IS changes, when they were implemented and how search NOW works. My decrease in traffic matches what other sellers selling OOAK/Antique/Mixed Lot listings are reporting on both sites. I didn't personally change anything I was doing. It has also made creating listings much more difficult because categories that were once available are now MIA. "Kinda close" has become the new normal. (Which replicates what buyers/anyone searching is now seeing. Garbled results)

-Lotz

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

My observations/decrease in sales are directly tied to the Category IS changes, when they were implemented and how search NOW works. My decrease in traffic matches what other sellers selling OOAK/Antique/Mixed Lot listings are reporting on both sites. I didn't personally change anything I was doing. It has also made creating listings much more difficult because categories that were once available are now MIA. "Kinda close" has become the new normal. (Which replicates what buyers/anyone searching is now seeing. Garbled results)

In business, this was the recurring hazard of having "too many balls in the air" at a time. However skillfully juggled, you tend to spend more time keeping everything in flight, and not enough getting it all handed off, and closer to going out the door.  

Perhaps not the best analogy, but we all saw a lot of changes - and changes upon changes upon changes - in Search via Item Spec overhauls throughout the year. In the media categories, I am still finding Format specs I know I updated last Spring (or previously) that I had to revisit because somewhere along the way someone had quietly tweaked the syntax of field or list data. As Lotz notes, in many cases, "kinda close" was now my best (or only) fit for what was once "spot on" (e.g. the Release Year of the Production vs. the Product, the generally useless MPN, etc, etc.).

Top of my wishlist for the New Year is that these sweeping Item Spec revamps and rolling tweaks will finally get locked down and stabilize*...at least for awhile, or long enough for Sellers to derive some bottom line benefit. 

* ...always keeping in mind, for a sense of perspective, that there is a larger world out there continuing to go through its own massive juggling act...

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

A little stability would be welcome, that's a change I could support!

Until very recently I had not created a single new listing since they announced the changes were coming. Now I'm glad I went on a listing holiday, I've about given up on repairing the category and IS mess.
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

There is no rhyme or reason sometimes.  I have pretty well shut down until after Christmas.  But I did have a few items listed for a short while, and it was bang, bang, bang, I some sold stuff that had been grinding it out for months before I pulled the listings a couple of months before.     

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

you put in part-time efforts, you get part-time results

@teenytrinkets you have a good offering, quality listings, competitive pricing...you're well ahead of the curve compared to the average poster here. eBay's algorithm does favour a daily listing routine though (as little as 5 a day would suffice), the minute you stop, you don't feed the algorithm for a couple days, the sales will drop consequently.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply