Now there's a glitch in USA Expedited parcel service **bleep**?

So, looks like the expedited usa option is experiencing a glitch. The service comes standard with $100 coverage... when entering the customs form and declaring the value of the contents (in my case, $60.00), it will not let you print a label. The error message reads something like "the insured value cannot be greater than the declared value.  I've been at this for a long time, have always used the expedited service without any issues, it's always come with $100 coverage included regardless of the value of the contents. If you need more coverage, you pay for it. If it's less than $100 value, it didn't matter...never had a problem printing labels

Anyone else having issues with expedited parcel?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Wasn't there some kind of Canada Post change announced recently about how upgraded postal service was being forced on senders if the contents exceeded a certain value? I can't recall the details. But someone else may know....

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Is your insured value greater than the declared value for customs?

Is your insured value greater than the eBay purchase price?

Temporary work-around:

If you have Solutions for Small Business (formerly Venture One) card and can pay with a credit card. then try Canada Post directly and use their new Snap Ship (currently with 15% discount of the regular SfSB discount for those that want to beta test use it).

-..-

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Wasn't there some kind of Canada Post change announced recently about how upgraded postal service was being forced on senders if the contents exceeded a certain value? I can't recall the details. But someone else may know....

That's only if the insurance is over $100.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Okay. Thank you for clarifying that. I was fuzzy on the details.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

That's only if the insurance is over $100.

If my memory serves, wasn't it signature service that was being made mandatory over a certain value?  (I recall thinking at the time that this must have been introduced to limit the problem of doorstep theft on parcels of higher value).  

I can never keep up with all these obscure Canada Post rules. 

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@vintagevault wrote:

So, looks like the expedited usa option is experiencing a glitch. The service comes standard with $100 coverage... when entering the customs form and declaring the value of the contents (in my case, $60.00), it will not let you print a label. The error message reads something like "the insured value cannot be greater than the declared value.  I've been at this for a long time, have always used the expedited service without any issues, it's always come with $100 coverage included regardless of the value of the contents. If you need more coverage, you pay for it. If it's less than $100 value, it didn't matter...never had a problem printing labels

I do actually remember running into this issue with Expedited, but it was a few weeks ago.  Precisely the same error message.  Since my parcel was going to the U.S., and the personal import limit is far higher than $100 anyway, I took my chances and simply stated a $100 value for the contents. 

You might want to try Tracked Packet if your item fits within the size/weight limits.  Although it also has $100 insurance coverage included, I've never had a problem with this error message using TP, and I've sent a number of things that were well under $100 in value. 

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Thanks for the replying. So, the problem is that expedited parcel comes with a set $100 coverage regardless of what the contents are. You are automatically given $100 coverage. I proceed to enter the customs value of $60. Now, when I go to print the label, error message says "insurance value cannot be greater than the declared value".

There is no option to lower the insurance value, its a set amount. There never has been an option to lower it, you can only increase the insurance value (for a fee) . I do not want to falsify the value of the contents, I'm trying to do the right thing for myself and the buyer on the other end.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

This is definitely a programming error. I think you have to call and submit a bug report.
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

In the meantime, note buyers in the USA have a de minimus of $800 USD. Your buyer won't be paying duty on less than $800 USD on import.
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@vintagevault wrote:

Thanks for the replying. So, the problem is that expedited parcel comes with a set $100 coverage regardless of what the contents are. You are automatically given $100 coverage. I proceed to enter the customs value of $60. Now, when I go to print the label, error message says "insurance value cannot be greater than the declared value".

There is no option to lower the insurance value, its a set amount. There never has been an option to lower it, you can only increase the insurance value (for a fee) . I do not want to falsify the value of the contents, I'm trying to do the right thing for myself and the buyer on the other end.

Be very caerful as Canada Post has many items they will not insure even though they offer $100 insurance with different types of mailings. Also anything over that amount same sutuation

If you ever have a claim for an item they do not insure, you will get 0 from them

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

You are not alone with this issue. I have seen several people on other seller forums have the same problem when trying to print Expedited USA labels via PayPal. The only workaround is, as you've realized, to declare the item at $100. Hopefully PayPal is aware of the issue, or perhaps one of the admins here that communicates with PayPal can forward this known issue along.

And since it got brought up, the new Canada Post regulation is that if you have $200 or more of insurance coverage it automatically adds on a signature confirmation (at a cost of $1.50).

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Tried again, putting both contents value and insured value at exactly $100. Still get the same error message.

I have no idea why they're messing with a system that's worked fine for years.

I've had enough. Going to stand in line at the post office and get it done.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:
And since it got brought up, the new Canada Post regulation is that if you have $200 or more of insurance coverage it automatically adds on a signature confirmation (at a cost of $1.50).

The extra charge is only if signature is extra (some of the high $$ shipping choices already include signature in the price).

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Howdy everyone - I've gotten this sent to @qottie for more insight and will keep you posted as I hear back. Hopefully it's a simple fix!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 17
latest reply

qottie
Community Member

@vintagevault wrote:

Hi vintagevault,

Sorry you are having difficulties.  For clarification, can you please indicate whether you started the label printing flow by clicking on "Print shipping label" in My eBay, or did you go directly to PayPal to print the labels (ie. not via eBay at all?)  

I will pass this on to PP support, but since there are some differences in the label printing flows depending on where you started from, so I want to ensure I can give them the proper details.

Not that it is necessarily helpful, but I tried just now to print a label for Expedited USA, starting from My eBay, and setting the Customs Value to $50, and I was successful in printing the label.  Regardless, I will pass it on to PayPal support to see if there is anything on their end.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

qottie
Community Member

@vintagevault,

I spoke with PayPal this am, and they have acknowledged that there is a bug in the Expedited Parcel insurance as you suggested.  Please note that this bug is only happening for sellers who go directly to PayPal to print labels, as opposed to clicking on "Print shipping label" on My eBay to enter the PayPal label printing flow.  A fix for this bug should go live overnight tonight.

Please also note that by going directly to PayPal to print labels, sellers are not receiving the eBay-negotiated rates and services.  PayPal only offers those rates and services if the seller initiates the label printing flow from My eBay.

Hope this helps.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply