PAYPAL IS CHARGING SELLER FEES ON STATE TAX COLLECTED FOR EBAY!

Would like to know why we have to pay a seller fee to PayPal for money

that is not part of OUR sales transaction?

Anyone else notice this?

PayPal charged the commission on the tax

collected by eBay for the state of Nebraska and added it into my total fee.

Commission is 3.7 % plus 30 cents.

Purchase                                      $19.99

Shipping                                                  $9.50

Tax                                                            $2.06

Purchase total                                    $31.55

Fee                                        -negative $1.47

Tax collected by eBay    -negative $2.06

Total                                                         $28.02

I guess this means a call to PayPal to find out what is going on.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: PAYPAL IS CHARGING SELLER FEES ON STATE TAX COLLECTED FOR EBAY!

Hi @lady.stark - I can't speak to legalities, but that's the information I have to provide and refer you to. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 21 of 32
latest reply

Why didn't:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Announcements/2019-Fall-Seller-Update/ba-p/426815

Dated: 09-04-2019 09:41:47 AM

or

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Announcements/NOW-LIVE-New-US-Internet-Sales-Tax-collection-changes/ba-...

Dated: 11-04-2019 12:41:25 PM

Ever specifically reference:

Updates to the eBay User Agreement - Sep 6, 2019, 12:36 PM

Key updates:

The changes relate to eBay’s on-going rights and responsibilities related to marketplace tax collection.

which directs you to this link

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/member-behaviour-policies/user-agreement?id=4259

And as a btw (There is a secondary STAY IN KNOW email  version that has a link to the user agreement that is now expired) More confusion!!!

Not sure how many folks ever read the user agreement in its entirety or have it stored in their memory banks for immediate referral. Possibly due to the legalease it is written in? May have made this new annoyance a bit more transparent. And it was never officially mentioned, even in passing in any of the recent board heated discussions regarding this impending change.

-Lotz

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

tyler@ebayIn today's chat, you wrote:

"Hi @gwrocen - we pull sales tax from your PayPal account, in short, because you agreed to it in our User Agreement (specifically section 5, paragraph 4). "

I'm sorry, but the way I understand it, in the user agreement, the sales taxes are the taxes charged to us by eBay on our seller fees. They are not the sales taxes collected by eBay for some US states. We never agreed to see those taxes going through our PayPal account as we are not the party responsible to collect those taxes...

Reply from Tyler :

Hi @gwrocen - we pull sales tax from your PayPal account, in short, because you agreed to it in our User Agreement (specifically section 5, paragraph 4). I can definitely understand if that's not something that you would prefer to have done - and if that's the case you can always consider not selling to US states that require us to collect and remit sales tax on behalf of their citizens. While we don't have a way to restrict individual states outside of the exclusion locations in your shipping exclusions screen of Site Preferences, you could consider not selling items to any US location if this sales tax process is a practice you would like to avoid. Thanks!

@lady.stark

Thanks lady.stark for your support.  I agree that, as Canadians, we are not responsible for collecting any US state's taxes nor should we be made to look like we are accepting those taxes by having them "flow through" our accounts.  

Nowadays we don't know what repercussions can arise from this.

I am not prepared to  be charged with a criminal offense of "illegally accepting state taxes"

even though they supposedly only "flow through" my account. 

tyler@ebay

User agreement section 5, paragraph 4

In any jurisdiction where eBay has an obligation to collect sales taxes on sales you make using eBay Services, we may collect such sales taxes from you via the payment method on file under the terms of the Billing Agreement or via any other means available to us.

tyler@ebay

I  believe that the "sales tax" referred to in this agreement DOES NOT refer to American State Taxes.   Nowhere does it say US State Sales Taxes. 

I believe it is illegal for me to have a buyer pay me or my account a sales tax for any US State.

In Canada I cannot collect a provincial or federal sales tax unless I am registered with the jurisdiction and have a sales tax number. 

We do not have a sales tax number for any US State so we are unable to "accept" any sales tax payments from anyone.  Why are those state sales taxes illegally going into our account?

I am in Canada.  As a Canadian seller I am not required by law to pay a state tax to any US state so why would eBay be collecting that tax FROM ME as stated in the agreement.                          ("we may collect such sales taxes from you")

My payment method on file with eBay "under the terms of the Billing Agreement" is not PayPal.

So  why is eBay going into my PayPal account?

Billing Agreement is only for my user fees to eBay

Why is eBay able to walk in and  and take over and use my private personal PayPal account

when it is not part of the Billing Agreement.

How can PayPal give a third party permission to use MY PERSONAL PRIVATE PayPal account.

I did not agree with PayPal to have a third party come in and 'use' my account. 

Does this set a precedent so that now anyone who wants to can just waltz in and start using my PayPal account?  How many other users will request to use my account"?  I thought my account and my money were "safe" with PayPal.

Why am I required to pay fees to PayPal on sales tax payments I am not authorized to accept and are not mine to keep?

If PayPal were my bricks and mortar "bank" would eBay be able to walk in and start using my bank account?

tyler@ebay

Tyler, your answer to my questions is not a solution.

I feel I am being punished when you say that if  I don't want to follow eBay's rules that I can just leave or quit selling to some Americans.   My family and I have been selling on eBay since 1998.   We have a 100% record.  We have not done anything wrong.   I do not like someone else having access to my personal account with PayPal just like I would not like the Royal Bank of Canada granting anyone else access to my personal bank account. 

I do not like it that PayPal has given a third party access to MY PERSONAL ACCOUNT. 

Would you feel comfortable having strangers granted access to any of your "bank" accounts?

Sincerely

gwrocen

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

To All Canadian Sellers:

Anyone selling on eBay should read and follow today's Weekly Discussion

(Wednesday, November 13, 2019) in regard to the topic of  "State Sales Tax collection".

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Chat-Session/November-13-2019-Weekly-Session/m-p/429810#M7432

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

Here's what eBay's rule is for the tax collection policy on the Tax Policy Page.................

https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/taxes-import-charges?id=4121#section4

eBay sales tax collection

Based on applicable tax laws, eBay will calculate, collect, and remit sales tax on behalf of sellers for items shipped to customers in the following states:
 (List of states follows with effective dates.)

"Once eBay starts to collect tax in the above states, no action is required on your part, and there will be no charges or fees for eBay automatically calculating, collecting and remitting sales tax."

So when does "there will be no charges or fees" mean that there will be no charges or fees?  It does not say who will or will not collect the '"charges or fees".

If there are to be "No Charges of Fees"  why is PayPal collecting fees from sellers?

And why did PayPal  allow eBay to USE our personal PayPal accounts in the first place???

....and near the bottom of the page............Isn't this interesting?  eBay's policy is:

......Sellers are not able to opt out of selling items into the states listed above or opt out of eBay automatically collecting sales tax.

The advice Tyler had given me on Nov. 7 at the Weekly Chat was that if the tax collection was a problem for us to quit selling to the states that charge taxes on online sales.  

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Chat-Session/November-7th-2019-Weekly-Session/m-p/429499#M7410

Hi @gwrocen - we pull sales tax from your PayPal account, in short, because you agreed to it in our User Agreement (specifically section 5, paragraph 4). I can definitely understand if that's not something that you would prefer to have done - and if that's the case you can always consider not selling to US states that require us to collect and remit sales tax on behalf of their citizens. While we don't have a way to restrict individual states outside of the exclusion locations in your shipping exclusions screen of Site Preferences, you could consider not selling items to any US location if this sales tax process is a practice you would like to avoid. Thanks!

@dhslk

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

Once eBay starts to collect tax in the above states, no action is required on your part, and there will be no charges or fees for eBay automatically calculating, collecting and remitting sales tax."

It says that ebay will not be charging a seller to collect and remit the tax and they are not charging us.  Paypal is charging us for the gross amount that enters our accounts. Although ebay isn't in control of what PP charges, they obviously knew how it would work so at the very least they should have stated something like..."paypal may charge a processing fee on those taxes remitted to your account"

...and near the bottom of the page............Isn't this interesting?  eBay's policy is:

......Sellers are not able to opt out of selling items into the states listed above or opt out of eBay automatically collecting sales tax.

There has never been a way to opt out of selling to specific  US mainland states for Canadians or US sellers so that isn't specific to this situation.  Imo it would be silly to do refuse to sell to a state because you have to pay a processing fee to PP for the state tax. There are many more states that have the user tax than do not and I suspect the heavier populated states already have it so selling to just a few state probably wouldn't be worth while.

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

This is really beginning to be a real PITA - being charged fees on money we don't even handle and that is NOT our responsibility.

GSP items being paid through PayPal  - Will PayPal also charge American and UK sellers a fee on the taxes we Canadians pay? Probably not... eBay would be flooded with complaints! Which makes me think us Canadians are really not important to eBay. Woman Frustrated

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

Curious to know why if they are going to charge the state taxes why it doesn't show anywhere the tax rate being applied. Makes auditing a, as stated previously a major PITA!! There seems to be a constant stream of reports on the dot com board of sellers doing the math and finding out an incorrect percent was charged. All I know is when I look at my receipt when I get back from a store it clearly expresses which items tax were charged on , the rate along with total collected. If we have to pay this silly charge why can't eBay be transparent and explain it in PayPal? It sounds like the legal thing to do? Is the information relayed differently to dot com sellers when it gets automagically transferred to PayPal?

-Lotz

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

@gwrocen wrote:

Would like to know why we have to pay a seller fee to PayPal for money

that is not part of OUR sales transaction?

Anyone else notice this?

PayPal charged the commission on the tax

collected by eBay for the state of Nebraska and added it into my total fee.

Commission is 3.7 % plus 30 cents.

Purchase                                      $19.99

Shipping                                                  $9.50

Tax                                                            $2.06

Purchase total                                    $31.55

Fee                                        -negative $1.47

Tax collected by eBay    -negative $2.06

Total                                                         $28.02

I have just reviewed the User Agreement with PayPal and here is the #1 clause:

You are independently responsible for complying with all applicable laws in all of your actions related to your use of PayPal's services, regardless of the purpose of the use. In addition, you must adhere to the terms of this Acceptable Use Policy.

Prohibited Activities

You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:

1. violate any law, statute, ordinance or regulation.

Having a state tax “flow through my PayPal account” is illegal and violates the law because we do not have a tax number that allows us to "collect a tax from a buyer"  for any state or province.

On the face of it, it looks like I am collecting the tax when it appears in the "purchase total" in my PayPal account.    How do I explain this to my  accountant?              I would say that  we are NOT  legally entitled or authorized to collect this tax (without a tax number) for anybody else (ex. eBay) just because they say so.  And especially since we do not have a "physical presence" in that jurisdiction. (see below)

As another member stated " even having the tax in our account for a nanosecond" is illegal.

The buyer in the above example owed me US$29.49. 

Why is the purchase total showing up as US$31.55?

I am not entitled or authorized to receive that $2.06 extra and

I should not have to pay any PayPal fees on it.

Why is this illegal use being forced on me as an eBay seller?

Maybe I am interpreting this PayPal clause incorrectly.  What do you think? .......................................................................................................................................

Here is some information from Google on the internet re US States and sales tax.....................

Is it illegal to not charge sales tax?

There is no sales tax obligation for the retailer if it has not established nexus in a state.

However, if a retailer does collect sales tax in a state in which it is not registered to do so,

that constitutes an illegal activity.

Do individuals need to collect sales tax?

The use tax is generally not the seller's responsibility; in most cases is supposed be declared

and filed by the purchaser in his or her home state. As a business, you are not usually required

to collect sales tax from individuals who purchase items from another state,

unless you have a physical presence in that state.

Should you charge sales tax?

If your business has a physical presence in a state (also known as a “nexus”),

whether it's a store, office, warehouse, employees, or other criteria established by your state,

then you MUST collect sales tax from customers in that state.

Do online sellers have to collect sales tax?

The basic rule for collecting sales tax from online sales is:

If your business has a physical presence, or “nexus”, in a state,

you must collect applicable sales taxes from online customers in that state.

If you do not have a physical presence, you generally do not have to collect sales tax for online sales.

Do I have to charge tax if I sell online?

The basic rule for collecting sales tax from online sales is: If your business has a physical presence, or “nexus”, in a state, you must collect applicable sales taxes from online customers in that state. If you do not have a physical presence, you generally do not have to collect sales tax for online sales.

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

@gwrocen , @lady.stark 

Sadly all this is/was a poorly disguised and announced administration fee.... plain and simple...passed onto the backs of lowly sellers.  Was eBay absorbing a fee for processing the collection state taxes from the beginning? Who knows? Will anyone admit to any of this ummm trumpery? (Had to look it up. It sounded kinda applicable when it came to mind. If not, my apologies.) Might be easier to get a certain someone who will remain nameless but is in charge of a country very close to us to admit to have said things in the past that were inappropriate. So, not likely!!!

-Lotz

Message 30 of 32
latest reply

I am not even a U.S citizen but get taxed 10% to Washington State taxes where I have mailbox service then pay Canadian taxes shipping home. I get stuck with Paypal fee for Ebay collecting tax and then taxed on seller fees.

I am sure there will be a class action at some point. Ebay cannot pass fee to selllers on taxes for a country they dont even live in and Ebay knows because they tax my fees being in Canada.
Message 31 of 32
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

Due to the time that has passed since this thread has begun I have blocked it from further replies. If this is still a topic that warrants discussion please don't hesitate to start a new thread. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 32 of 32
latest reply