November 7th 2019 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

Apologies for my absence - I have been dealing with a dying furnace and overseeing the installation of a new one. But now that that's sorted I'm back and ready to work through my notifications. 

Opening up a chat for you to leave questions. I'll come round tomorrow (Thursday) to work on getting you answers. 

Thanks!
Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Internet sales tax-- Paypal is charging sellers fees on pass-through sales taxes. We are not happy about this.

What is eBay doing to alleviate the anger?

Paypal is not sending notices. I've seen this as not updating my account page with payments received from customers. Others are not getting emails from PP.

Since PP and eBay are now different companies, do you have a contact address or telephone number for us to ask questions.  (Yes, I looked on the PP site. I couldn't find either, although I have used this in the distant past.)

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Hello Tyler,

Ahhh the joys of furnaces! No fun!!

Regarding the fall announcement:

Policy Updates

• Correct a policy issue and continue selling without penalty

Has this been implemented and is there a list of what it does apply to? I see situations of sellers complaining of listings being "yanked" but unable to to always tell if this would be applicable in the particular situation. Also would be good to know for future reference.

Thanks,

-Lotz

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@reallynicestamps 

Log into PayPal, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on contact. Scroll down again and click on call us. A phone number will come up.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

@reallynicestamps 

PayPal's phone number: 1-888-221-1161

Have the last 4 digits of your bank account or credit card ready, that's linked to your PayPal account before you phone.   

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Hi Tyler,

Signing in on eBay.ca is working again on Internet Explorer. I see they went back to the older double line sign-in page.

Many Thanks 

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Hi Tyler,

Sorry about your furnace...I hope it isn't your Christmas present!

Every once in a while on .com I see a US seller with 'free international shipping'  But when I click on the listing, there is a shipping charge.  I used to see it quite often with some gsp listings but in these listings, the seller ships direct. The first screenshot is for the same seller, it looks as if all or most of her listings have the mistaken free shipping stated for all countries.  The second screenshot is for one of those items showing the actual shipping charge to Canada.

I imagine that it upsets a few buyers when they see free shipping but then realize it really isn't free and I doubt that the seller even realizes that is what is showing.

free international shipping.jpg

free international shipping - not free.jpg

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Internet sales tax-- Paypal is charging sellers fees on pass-through sales taxes. We are not happy about this.

I would like to add my voice to what @reallynicestamps  has asked.

I may not be the "actual agent" and I may not be "actually" collecting the tax,

but why is it going through MY PERSONAL ACCOUNT?

How can eBay waltz in and start using MY PayPal account?

eBay is USING MY PERSONAL PayPal ACCOUNT as if it is theirs

and they expect me to pay their fees on money they are collecting. 

Why doesn't eBay or the state they are collecting for pay the fees?

My PayPal account is my account for ME to use.  It is not there for eBay to use.

I am not authorized by any state to have their state tax going through

my personal account.   I am not authorized to have any buyer

pay me or my personal account a state tax even if it is just to "flow through". 

And I do not like having to explain to my US buyers

why their state tax is being added on

to the invoice for a purchase they are making from a Canadian. 

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@silverpinups wrote:

Signing in on eBay.ca is working again on Internet Explorer. I see they went back to the older double line sign-in page.

That might explain why sign-in stopped working on my browser (Palemoon, a Firefox alternative) this week. It is now only possible for me to sign in when I have privacy mode turned on.

cookies and such allowed... Sign in greyed out and not workingcookies and such allowed... Sign in greyed out and not working

Private mode turned on, Sign in allowedPrivate mode turned on, Sign in allowed

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis 

Was it working for you previously when they had the newer 2 step sign-in page? 

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I'm curious about this also!
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Tyler, the signin issue continues daily here. I wonder if the tech team realises how poorly the new design functions?
The greyed out button behaviour even happens on Windows 10 desktop sometimes. From fiddling with it a number of times it does not handle switching accounts very well, very clunky design imo.

Signin is clunky on Android 9.1 too although I've always been able to eventually succeed.

The new signin page design performs VERY badly with the BlackBerry Z30 native browser which is a modern Webkit HTML5 browser. Since the new 2 step page arrived it has been nearly impossible to use. For some reason using private browser mode seems to help. No such problems occur with other sites, just ebay.ca. I have no trouble at all with the ebay.com signin page.

I know tech probably thinks there is no need to test IE or BB10 for compatibility but why not just restore the original signin page? The new version is horrible even on the latest and greatest devices.

By the way there are literally multi millions of BlackBerry 10 phones still active on networks around the world
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining the chat this week - I'm locking this thread from future questions so I can get a handle on the current questions/comments in addition to regular weekly reporting that I do today. 

I'll be posting answers throughout the rest of the afternoon/evening!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Paypal is not sending notices. I've seen this as not updating my account page with payments received from customers. Others are not getting emails from PP.

Since PP and eBay are now different companies, do you have a contact address or telephone number for us to ask questions.  (Yes, I looked on the PP site. I couldn't find either, although I have used this in the distant past.)

Hi @reallynicestamps - thanks for sharing your input on this. I don't have any insight into anything being done to alleviate that frustration. I can say that emails from both eBay and PayPal were sent about this change in early October - and we posted an Announcement about it on the 1st to raise awareness. 

I know the chat is closed so you aren't able to reply to this but I do have a follow up question for you that you're more than welcome to tag me to a thread with an answer:

When you say that PayPal is not sending notices, will you let me know what you mean? I saw a thread from earlier this week that looks like notifications were severely delayed for a period of time, but are back to normal now. In any case I don't have a lot of insight into their tech issues (if any) and would encourage you to contact them.

When it comes to direct contact with PayPal I don't have anyone specifically that I can suggest. Others have already gotten you the general phone number but I wanted to add that I have had really good luck with their social media team, specifically Twitter (link to their profile here).  I know, I know, me on my social media horse once again. Just wanted to throw that out there!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hello Tyler,

Ahhh the joys of furnaces! No fun!!

Regarding the fall announcement:

Policy Updates

• Correct a policy issue and continue selling without penalty

Has this been implemented and is there a list of what it does apply to? I see situations of sellers complaining of listings being "yanked" but unable to to always tell if this would be applicable in the particular situation. Also would be good to know for future reference.

Thanks,

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - yes, this policy went into effect on October 1. I don't have a list of things this does and does not apply to, but can say that as long as the item isn't a prohibited item, and it's the first instance of this happening an email with details should be being sent. 

If an item is not allowed for sale on the site at all, it would be removed outright instead of a 'fair warning' notice to correct the issue. 

If you run into any situations that you'd like to review please feel free to page me to a thread and I'll see if I can provide more detail!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 18
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Hi Tyler,

Sorry about your furnace...I hope it isn't your Christmas present!

Every once in a while on .com I see a US seller with 'free international shipping'  But when I click on the listing, there is a shipping charge.  I used to see it quite often with some gsp listings but in these listings, the seller ships direct. The first screenshot is for the same seller, it looks as if all or most of her listings have the mistaken free shipping stated for all countries.  The second screenshot is for one of those items showing the actual shipping charge to Canada.

I imagine that it upsets a few buyers when they see free shipping but then realize it really isn't free and I doubt that the seller even realizes that is what is showing.

free international shipping.jpg

free international shipping - not free.jpg

Hi @pjcdn2005 - thanks for letting me know what you've been running into. I did some digging and it doesn't look like there's a tech issue at play, but rather a member is manipulating shipping policies and preferences to game search results. I've reported them for further review and action.

If you have other examples (from different sellers) feel free to send me a PM with more detail!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 18
latest reply

@gwrocen wrote:

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I would like to add my voice to what @reallynicestamps  has asked.

I may not be the "actual agent" and I may not be "actually" collecting the tax,

but why is it going through MY PERSONAL ACCOUNT?

How can eBay waltz in and start using MY PayPal account?

eBay is USING MY PERSONAL PayPal ACCOUNT as if it is theirs

and they expect me to pay their fees on money they are collecting. 

Why doesn't eBay or the state they are collecting for pay the fees?

My PayPal account is my account for ME to use.  It is not there for eBay to use.

I am not authorized by any state to have their state tax going through

my personal account.   I am not authorized to have any buyer

pay me or my personal account a state tax even if it is just to "flow through". 

And I do not like having to explain to my US buyers

why their state tax is being added on

to the invoice for a purchase they are making from a Canadian. 

Hi @gwrocen - we pull sales tax from your PayPal account, in short, because you agreed to it in our User Agreement (specifically section 5, paragraph 4). I can definitely understand if that's not something that you would prefer to have done - and if that's the case you can always consider not selling to US states that require us to collect and remit sales tax on behalf of their citizens. While we don't have a way to restrict individual states outside of the exclusion locations in your shipping exclusions screen of Site Preferences, you could consider not selling items to any US location if this sales tax process is a practice you would like to avoid. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 17 of 18
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:
Tyler, the signin issue continues daily here. I wonder if the tech team realises how poorly the new design functions?
The greyed out button behaviour even happens on Windows 10 desktop sometimes. From fiddling with it a number of times it does not handle switching accounts very well, very clunky design imo.

Signin is clunky on Android 9.1 too although I've always been able to eventually succeed.

The new signin page design performs VERY badly with the BlackBerry Z30 native browser which is a modern Webkit HTML5 browser. Since the new 2 step page arrived it has been nearly impossible to use. For some reason using private browser mode seems to help. No such problems occur with other sites, just ebay.ca. I have no trouble at all with the ebay.com signin page.

I know tech probably thinks there is no need to test IE or BB10 for compatibility but why not just restore the original signin page? The new version is horrible even on the latest and greatest devices.

By the way there are literally multi millions of BlackBerry 10 phones still active on networks around the world

Hi @kawartha-ephemera - those are valid points, and I don't have an update on this particular issue. I'll make sure that these examples and feedback get to the right developers!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 18 of 18
latest reply