Paid for Shipping but wants to pickup

Hi All,

What's proper procedure for this? Someone bought an item and paid for shipping. Then they messaged me through eBay to ask if they could just pick up since they are close. 

I have no problem with that but want to make sure I am protected against INR or an eBay policy that might prohibit this.

Let them pick it up and refund the shipping? Cancel the order, change to flat shipping with local pickup and let them buy again?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Refund the total amount paid by the buyer and then arrange for a local pickup....

Do not cancel the transaction

Buyer pays  cash Canadian dollars for the item purchased when the item is picked up.

After the buyer pays for the item...  go to the eBay order page..... send an invoice with only the cost of the item with local pickup presented as the shipping option

Mark the order as payment received and item shipped. 

This is how local pickups have been completed by me...

-------------------------------------------------

Buyer views item when it is picked up.

Buyer pays cash..... and cannot file an item not received case with eBay or with Paypal

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Except I don't have the option to send invoice....after refunding.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

This has been done by me .... many times

Making a refund should not stop you from sending a new invoice

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I don't disagree with you, but, that said in the options for the order there is no Send Invoice...I know it *should* be there, I've seen it before - but it's just not there. 

Anyway, I refunded him, met and got cash, marked item as shipped and had him confirm receipt so should be good - I assume?

I'm covered because Paypal was refunded, eBay got their fees, I got my cash and he got the item. 

But there are so many of these unique situations that eBay is absolutely atrocious at detailing in the help section. So frustrating. 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@ericsells75 

There is a new system recently released in the USA. Not sure if it is available in Canada yet or will be arriving in the eventual distant possible near future or never. Would be helpful for the sellers that do a volume of pickups in Canada. See notes on Proof of Collection. Sounds like it is still a work in progress by the discussion notes.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/posting-items/setting-postage-options/local-pickup?id=4181

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-to-enter-the-6-digit-code-for-confirmation-of-local-pickup...

-Lotz

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I did read all that but considering the buyer had already paid I didn’t know what I should have done. I don’t understand why pickup can’t just be an option with calculated shipping as well. Was just all around frustrating to try and do this properly.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@ericsells75 

When I create listings, sometimes I am given the option to add the pickup option with calculated shipping. Other times not. Sometimes I am able to add handling, other times not. I'm not sure if it's category driven. If the customer hasn't paid, sometimes I can add pick up to a revised invoice(when it will let me), other times not. See above re adding handling. Just way too many hoops for coordinating pickups in my opinion. From what I've read on dot com pickups work much better but we never seemed to get something similar on dot ca. If it's in the plan who knows. Probably wayyyyyyyy down the list. It should not be an either or when it comes to Calculated shipping & Pick Ups!!! Even if PICKED were added to the tracking dropdown or ship by dropdown(when a customer last minute decided on pickup) would be a start in the right direction. 

-Lotz

PS. Once a customer has paid it is technically impossible to send a revised invoice as per eBay programing. 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Yeah - I'm pretty sure I didn't handle it the most efficient way, but at least I got my money and the buyer acknowledged receipt. I was told you can't have calculated shipping and pickup together for some reason. Makes 0 sense to me. 

I've only been selling a few months now but the amount of little 'issues' like this is quite honestly shocking for a platform that has been around so long. 

But I suppose alls well that ends well for this situation. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

and then....

What will happen with Managed Payments?

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@ericsells75 

It is possible, just not always. 600000.00 is only a dream scenario. 🙂

-Lotz

Adding Pickup.JPG

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

And what reason for refund you are marking?
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@ericsells75 

It is possible, just not always. 600000.00 is only a dream scenario. 🙂

-Lotz

Adding Pickup.JPG

Oh, it lets me pick it. It just NEVER saves.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply