Paying for shipping labels

I am desperate for some help and better information! I have contacted ebay by phone twice today and once by chat. 

A couple days ago I started selling on ebay, I have an etsy shop though so I have some online selling experience. I noticed this morning there was notification that my bank needed to be verified. So I checked my bank and there were no microdeposits to list. I call customer service they tell me it takes a few days sometimes...ok whatever. 

Then I sell an item, I was pretty excited! Then when I went to deal with shipping I noticed at the bottom that my funds are being held until October 1. So I contact by phone again to see what can be done, I was told that if I list the tracking the hold will most likely be lifted. So I  ship the item off, provide tracking and its still being held. Then I make another sale! Again excited, but now starting to worry because I can't keep paying for shipping all over North America out of my own pocket while funds continue to be held. 

I contacted online chat help, and the guy I spoke with pretty much just explained to me what I already knew and offered no help. 

If I purchase a shipping label on ebay while my funds are being held can I use those funds to pay for the shipping? It doesn't give me that option it just says when I go to print shiping label that I will be charged once I print the label.  I know I can't keep paying for shipping, I will run out of money and I will get negative feedback which will just be a nasty circle that never ends and I will be listed as a bad seller, even though I am not! 

PLEASE HELP!!!

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Microdeposits are tricky because of currency exchange. Also a problem: Tangerine Bank.

Managed Payments is needed to transfer money to your checking account.

But you should be able to buy shipping labels even if your MP account is in transition (to be kind about the boondoggle) because that money comes out along with fees before the Tuesday transfers.

In addition, eBay will Hold your customer payments until you have met their requirements as a trustworthy seller.  The Hold for every new and occasional seller, not just you, is 21 days.

Until you've been selling for 90 days and sold 25 items your payments will be held until tracking shows delivered, or in 21 days if there's no tracking. They can hold the payment for the full 21 days if you're selling in a high risk category. 

The phone reps have a terrible reputation for getting you off the phone as soon as possible even if that means giving you the advice you want to hear instead of the advice you need to have.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I understand all that... I want to know if they will use the money that's on hold to cover the shipping label?
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

As a new seller to eBay, yes your funds will be withheld until eBay is satisfied that all is good...

This process is similar to Etsy's "reserves" that are applied to new sellers and those that have "issues"...

I expect eBay will apply all incurred fees, label purchases, etc to your payput, but we cannot say when that will be> that is at eBay's discretion...

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I'm not a frequent user of ebay labels but I'm fairly certain any Canada Post label can be funded from pending funds on hold. The fun part will be trying to figure out where exactly ebay is hiding the label payment options!

If at all possible purchase your next label using a Desktop computer and monitor. Ebay web design is often not well done, important info, selections, options etc are not always immediately obvious ... sometimes they're off screen at the absolute bottom of pages or require clicking a seemingly unrelated button ...

Again, I think the pending funds option is available but I've never bothered taking the time to look. Welcome to ebay ... good luck!
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

They aren't hiding the payment options.  The only way to pay for a label on .ca is from pending funds so there is no choice to make.   If they allow the op to print an eBay label than they should come from those held funds. I've haven't been in the position  of having funds held though so I am just guessing.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I'm in agreement with pjcdn, though I haven't had funds held I do know anytime any time I have used eBay labels the amount came from the pending funds. Note that the money for labels doesn't come out for a couple/few days (you won't see it immediately) but they will always take it from the pending funds before anything else. You will know by them allow you to print the shipping label, if it prints you know it will be okay, I would think otherwise it just won't let you do it.

Note this is ONLY if you are using eBay labels of course, if you are printing labels another way you will have to pay for them on your own.

As others have said make sure your managed payment account is set up so you can look forward to the end of the hold period with no issues.

Good luck!

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

devon@ebay 

Please confirm that sellers whose funds are being Held, in this specific instance where establishing themselves is the reason for the Hold, can use those Held funds to pay for shipping labels.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

PJ, your assumption that the only way to pay for a label on .ca is from pending funds is flat out incorrect.

All, every one of my ebay label purchases on DOTca have been processed as follows:

1. Provide shipping info for the selected Canada Post service.
2. Review pricing and agree to purchase label.
3. Print label.
4. The label purchase transaction does not immediately appear in Payments activity.
5. Several days later I receive notice that Payments will be debiting my bank account.
6. Payments transfers out the funds from my bank account. The transaction does not appear in Payments until the bank transfer occurs.

Note: At no point in the Labels process have I noticed any immediately obvious reference to funding source or how to change it. Since I have no complaint with funding labels from my bank account I simply have not bothered to investigate how to change that.

Judging by the OP's call for help on the subject I expect he/she is also having label purchases funded by bank account transfers.
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@violetcherryboutique 

Are you selling on both dotCOM and dotCA?
We cannot buy labels on dotCOM, we have to buy on here on the Canadian site.

So just go to the sold item, change the URL on the top line to CA instead of COM, and go to My eBay-> Selling-> Orders-> My Orders.

From there you can buy Canada Post shipping labels, using your Held funds.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Note: At no point in the Labels process have I noticed any immediately obvious reference to funding source or how to change it

Exactly.  There is no way to choose how you want to pay for labels on .ca and as you said, I don't think there is an obvious place that tells you where the money will come from.  When  the label is billed to you the  money is supposed to be taken from processing funds.  If there are no processing funds available at that time then they take it from an alternative source which is probably your linked bank account.  To be honest I did forget that as I've only had that happen a few times when my only sales were a day or two before Tuesday payout.

As I haven't had money ever held in managed payments, I AM making an assumption that  payment for labels are treated the same way whether the funds are being 'held' or 'processing'. I don't recall anyone saying that there is a difference but I don't know first hand that is how it works and as we know, assumption can be wrong,

On each .com label, sellers do have the option of using processing funds or Paypal.  We don't have any option to choose and that's what I meant by there not being a choice.  

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

If you look at their listings they are all originating on .ca

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I use ebay labels and sometimes they come out of the pending funds which gets transferred to my bank on Tuesday and sometimes it comes out of my bank account. I am not sure why that is. It can take 5-6 days before ebay catches up to the label payment and by then the funds have already been transferred to my account on tuesday. I wish they would fix this so that it comes off right away after you purchase your label. Harder to keep track of what's what when you sell a few things in the same week. Which is not my problem lately nothing is moving. 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I think some of the arising issues relate to your payout schedule... any fees/expenses will come out of pending funds first, but if funds have already gone to bank account, then eBay will as needed,when needed, remove funds from bank account for any fees/expenses incurred...however, generally eBay sends notification if funds are being removed from bank account(at least that has been my experience).

Message 14 of 14
latest reply