Paypal credit card charge back does not match the amount of actual sale?

Just wanted some quick advice.  I just received a charge back via paypal for a sale made in August.  The sale was for $14.99, the dispute was opened for a fraudulent credit card use, but the refund requested is for $9.99.  The buyer has not contacted me though I have reached out using ebays messaging system.  Of course for such a cheap item I do not have tracking, if it was a charge back for the full amount it wouldn't seem as weird, as I would either chalk it up to just a straight up charge back fraud.  Is there a reason why the chargeback dispute doesn't match the actual sale price?  I am guessing I should just suck up the $9.99 refund and break even on the $5 difference?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Was the original listing in Canadian dollars or US dollars? Or some other currency?

The answer may be a mixture of currency exchange (the loonie is worth roughly 75 c US but changes hourly) .

https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=CAD&To=USD

and Paypal fees being held.

The 30 c service fee is refundable, while Canadians get the percentage fee returned although US users don't.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

When currency is changed and then changed back again there is often a different in the amount but for  a $15 purchase the difference would probably be less than a $1, not $5.  Plus, the seller isn’t normally affected by the exchange rate anyway...that’s on the buyers end.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I really don’t know why there would be a difference....PayPal might have more info if you phone them.  If it is an unauthorized use credit card chargeback and you don’t have proof that it was shipped to the payment address it is usually best to refund.  If you don’t refund and the credit card company decides in favour of the buyer, you will also be charged a $20 fee. If you refund before that, the fee is waived.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I see thanks.  All funds are Canadian.  I figured I would have to suck up the fraudulent charge, it is just really really weird how the numbers don't match.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

So an update, I messaged this guy on ebay

"Hello, I received a charge back request on your PS2 game Shadow of the Colossus. Can you please let me know why? Thanks."

And then he replied

"Oh, it's nothing negative. A friend and I were looking for the game at the same time, and my friend found someone close to us (a few minutes of car travel) who had it. We didn't want to end up with two copies. Thanks for your time."

So, now I am like, so you made a mistake and now you want to keep the game and do a charge back? 

Is this exchange enough to get a strike on his account?

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

If he doesn't want to end up with two copies, does that mean he is getting the other game and sending the game you sent back to you?  I would ask him and explain that if he doesn't send it back you are out that money.  Perhaps he thinks that ebay covers it??

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I sent 2 messages asking, but he has not responded. I have not received anything in the mail yet either. Worse yet is that I will be on vacation in the next week, so
1. I wont be able to check the mail and
2. the time to challenge the charge back will expire on the 16th.

I think ill have to bite the bullet and accept the refund, wait and see if it comes in the mail, if not, then report him to ebay as I have his first response saved there.  Dont think Id be able to report him to paypal.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply